POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged]

Reaction Score
enlightenment! check for, bouknight, james, and a whole host of other accomplished stars, including qb's. for my size, i have average hands. nutz. oh well, ... but i can make a righteous pizza.
Average hands = average...........

Reaction Score
Its Dawns' fault they lost, because her halftime adjustments were trash. Cooke and Henderson were trying to draw fouls and get to the line. They were taking ill-advised shots without anyone else touching the ball. They did their best Arike impressions with their shooting numbers, but unfortunately both are rail thin and cant draw contact. They knew they would stuffed so they continued forcing insane shots. I was getting so annoyed with them not passing Boston the ball. Plus they made lazy pass after lazy pass. Nika and Paige feasted on those passes.

Also, have Edwards and Amihere ever played together on a Canadian national team? Edwards may not be as athletic as Amihere, but she is way more skilled and physical.

Boston needs a stretch 4 counterpart, and some guards that will give her the ball. She has no room to operate, and she still had a pretty good game. Paige found her posts on some nice pick and rolls. Henderson uses a pick and she isn't even looking in the direction for the pass. It was ugly to watch. I underestimated Harris' impact on this team.
Watching Boston on offense not counting her off. rebounds. She used 2 moves with one dribbling in the lane with her left and spinning back to the right to go up strong. UConn kept falling for it. Where was the double team when she went back to her right. Her second move would be staying with her left and looking for the 10' jumper. We know the coaches watch film with the players but do the players watch film on who they're guarding to see the tendacies they are good at. So you know what to look for and try to deny them the spot on the floor and/or the ball. To their tendacies that make them uncomfortable and let them beat you from. I'm talking about individual players one on one. Yes the Coaches tell them about these but how much do they do on their own.

Reaction Score
The ball being hurled at you is a completely different color! It was especially difficult as a batter. I’m sorry, but that was exponentially more difficult than playing with different brands of basketballs (which we also did, but never thought twice about it).
I played fast pitch softball for 20 years. Played about 30 games a year and have used white, yellow, green and orange balls and never had a problem hitting anyone of them. None of the other players had problems either. I also played slow pitch for 27 years and combined played over 200 games a year for 20 of those years. I even played in snowball tournaments with an orange ball and at least 6 inches of snow had to be on the ground. The only ball I had trouble seeing was the orange ball when it was under the snow. Tournament every year for the March of Dimes Charity!

My one sentence disagreement with your statement wasn't just a whim. I know what I am talking about as far as softball. Those were some great times.

As for basketball having played and coached a lot of years. The different brands do have different textures and feel different on your hands. I have played with all the different brands in both Mens and Womens balls. Not an excuse for a lost.Read my previous post.

Reaction Score
somehow I don't see Geno ever using the feel of the basketball as the reason his team didn't play well.............
Unless the pre game meatballs were too small..
Food Rachel GIF by Rachael Ray Show

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I played fast pitch softball for 20 years. Played about 30 games a year and have used white, yellow, green and orange balls and never had a problem hitting anyone of them. None of the other players had problems either. I also played slow pitch for 27 years and combined played over 200 games a year for 20 of those years. I even played in snowball tournaments with an orange ball and at least 6 inches of snow had to be on the ground. The only ball I had trouble seeing was the orange ball when it was under the snow. Tournament every year for the March of Dimes Charity!

My one sentence disagreement with your statement wasn't just a whim. I know what I am talking about as far as softball. Those were some great times.

As for basketball having played and coached a lot of years. The different brands do have different textures and feel different on your hands. I have played with all the different brands in both Mens and Womens balls. Not an excuse for a lost.Read my previous post.

Your prerogative. Mine (and my teammates) was that it was more difficult to switch between softball colors than basketball brands. I know there are different textures and hand feel and your favorite ball on the rack is always feels better than a new game ball.

But my bigger point was that our piddly little program saw there was an issue (even if from your perspective it wasn’t an issue) and addressed it in practice. Seems like a program like SC, who plays in plenty of gyms with Nike balls, would do the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom