POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged]

Reaction Score
fox tv excuse GIF by loveconnectionfox

The excuse she made were as weak as hanging a #1 in the final polls banner.
Which excuses are you referring too?

Reaction Score
Easy
Sorry maybe I should cry and complain about the other coach then you will hear me...lol
Yes I said everything with a straight face. So again outside of Nike Bball comment her pressor was ok. I'm not insulted because she didn't put us on a pedstal.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Which excuses are you referring too?
The excuse that Dawn started the press conference with that the turnovers during the game were due to the Nike ball. She then doubled down later in the news conference that you have to pound the Nike ball into the ground and Henderson specifically was having trouble adjusting...... Do you really need me to continue or you just playing dumb here?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
aaaaaaaaannndddd, there you have it. if you actually play the game, then you immediately understand her point about the ball. absolutely true the difference between wilson (the king!) and nike. of course, whichever is used in a game, it is still the same one for both teams, so there's that.
i noticed that any post of mine mentioning actually playing the game almost always get's stone cold silence in response. too funny. uninformed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The excuse that Dawn started the press conference with that the turnovers during the game were due to the Nike ball. She then doubled down later in the news conference that you have to pound the Nike ball into the ground and Henderson specifically was having trouble adjusting...... Do you really need me to continue or you just playing dumb here?
Whoa! Easy with the dumb comment. You commented on my original post which I cleary said the ball reference was nonsense. Outside of that I didn't see a bunch of excuses.

Reaction Score
It was the ball's fault!

I follow basketball extensively, men, women, AAU, etc. Has anyone ever heard this message of a meaningful difference in brand balls?

Reaction Score
A friend of mine was recently on the staff at an ACC school (Pitt). A lot of them use Nike balls, but I know that a few use other balls, including Miami (who uses Adidas). For a practice or two prior to a trip to Miami, they would practice with Adidas balls.

Given the number of Nike schools in the SEC, you would think South Carolina has used them before, but regardless, an odd excuse.

Assuming this photo is from this year, they used a Nike ball at Alabama: View attachment 64418
Wow, notice how large Boston's hands are. Amazing.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Wow, notice how large Boston's hands are. Amazing.
enlightenment! check for, bouknight, james, and a whole host of other accomplished stars, including qb's. for my size, i have average hands. nutz. oh well, ... but i can make a righteous pizza.

Reaction Score
It was the ball's fault!

This is a disaster for Dawn. She's lost it somewhere along the line, perhaps last season when she thought she won something that she did not (and has a banner to prove it). I've never seen her so ungracious, but I suspect she's had about enough of being whacked around by Geno's teams. What she needs to learn is that she's not Geno; nobody is. She a great recruiter but not a great coach.
The ball, really? How profoundly stupid (even if true) to say. I thought both teams used the same ball. Let her bring her own favorite balls next time. Geesh. And no, Dawn, you can't stop Paige with anyone you have on your team. She's the miracle worker: we have her, you don't.
It's really important to give credit to the other team, especially if they've just ripped your heart out. Man up, girl.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
This is why I wanted UConn to win this game! This is just sad from dawn staley! Are South Carolina going to hang up another fake banner?
I don't think so. I heard today that they are going to take 2 deflated Nike balls and place one on each side of their glorious banner. Film at eleven.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Dawn definitely comes off as a whiner after losing this game by complaining about the ball in her first statement of the presser and then repeating it in a completely unrelated question Overall though she has a valid point the ball could be and perhaps should be standardize for the entire NCAA. The NCAA might even be able to get an endorsement deal out of it- Wilson the official ball of the NCAA.
I do remember Geno complaining about the ball as well. However his complaint if I remember correctly was in regards to the way the slightly smaller ball used in WCBB bounces on the rim.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She made no excuses on why she lost. She gave her opinion and protected her team while building up her team after a loss. It's ok to for a coach to play the we had an off night card verses tearing down her team and planting seeds of doubt. Especially with a young team in which she has.
Listen to the lady say "...and my players couldn't adapt'. She demeaned her players saying they don't have the capacity to adapt to a different brand of ball. It wasn't the coach who knows there is a difference in the ball and didn't provide the opportunity to adapt during practice. It wasn't the fact that her team plays with Nike balls at least 10 times a year.

Reaction Score
Listen to the lady say "...and my players couldn't adapt'. She demeaned her players saying they don't have the capacity to adapt to a different brand of ball. It wasn't the coach who knows there is a difference in the ball and didn't provide the opportunity to adapt during practice. It wasn't the fact that her team plays with Nike balls at least 10 times a year.
Again, to you or anyone who commented on my post. I said nothing about her Nike Ball reference being a legit excuse. If that comment is what's getting everyone's skin to turn, so be it. But don't make my message a co-defendant because it was not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Again, to you or anyone who commented on my post. I said nothing about her Nike Ball reference being a legit excuse. If that comment is what's getting everyone's skin to turn, so be it. But don't make my message a co-defendant because it was not.
Yeah but you contradicted that in your next post. So you can that back in your pocket.
She made no excuses on why she lost. She gave her opinion and protected her team while building up her team after a loss. It's ok to for a coach to play the we had an off night card verses tearing down her team and planting seeds of doubt. Especially with a young team in which she has.
I think Dawn has decided to go full Pat Head McGraw with the unwarranted shade. She wasn't trying to "protect her team" she was trying to deflect the heat off herself for losing the big game. It worked! Notice how no one is saying Geno just coached circles around her, again!

Reaction Score
Yeah but you contradicted that in your next post. So you can that back in your pocket.

I think Dawn has decided to go full Pat Head McGraw with the unwarranted shade. She wasn't trying to "protect her team" she was trying to deflect the heat off herself for losing the big game. It worked! Notice how no one is saying Geno just coached circles around her, again!
I contradicted myself?
Again I said what I said.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've never much appreciated Dawn...Can't remember what turned me off...
I do remember that I thought, being a magical point guard herself, she should do a better job of coaching up her guards. They often seem not quite as potent as their potential allows; happened again last night.

Then, her disposition leaves a bit to be desired...that nonsense about the ball
made her look pretty petty.

But, you know...on further reflexion, I'm going to give her a pass...Woman, black woman in particular have to fight and scrap to get equality...It's still a man's world. And no one is more aware of that than Dawn. She's had to appear "unfeminine" to get where she is....And men look down their noses and are disdainful...I'm as guilty as anyone

No, she's not Geno...But she's built a fine program, doing splendidly with the National team...took a tough, unexpected loss last night and has a tough time being gracious...

I can live with that.

Reaction Score
aaaaaaaaannndddd, there you have it. if you actually play the game, then you immediately understand her point about the ball. absolutely true the difference between wilson (the king!) and nike. of course, whichever is used in a game, it is still the same one for both teams, so there's that.
i noticed that any post of mine mentioning actually playing the game almost always get's stone cold silence in response. too funny. uninformed.
Are the balls different yes. Is it an excuse when you lose a game no. That is the dumbest excuse a coach at a Div 1 School can make! How about we couldn't stop Bueckers! She took over the game and no matter what we did she burnt us! I have played with just about every type of ball there is Mens and Womens and do they bounce different yes. Is the texture of the ball different yes. Do some feel a little heavier than others yes. Can you notice the difference when dribbling the different brands yes. So as the Coach when you lose blame it on the different ball!
What you do is have your players use different balls in practice! Make sure they are the proper weight with and without air. You have them doing ball handling drills with different types of balls. Dawn see my last comment!
What you don't do is blame the ball for your lost, LMAO!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom