POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged] | The Boneyard

POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged]

Reaction Score
I chuckled, but I suppose that's kind of the granular answer I'd expect from a former point guard when you think about it. A PG would be very concerned with the feel of the ball while dribbling.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Weird. Didn't they know they were going to play with a Nike ball? Sounds like a coaching staff failure if the team wasn't prepared for that.

Attention to detail, Coach.

Reaction Score
Everyone has to be used to the Nike ball considering how many schools they sponsor. Its not like a BADEN or THE ROCK that back in the day only a handful of schools used.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
That's a first. I wonder who decides which ball to use? Here's a thought: practice with both balls. Get used to it. In terms of offense, I wouldn't say UConn was much better than SC offensively. That's what happens when two good teams neutralize each other. Unfortunately, SC will have more competitive games for the rest of the season than UConn will.

Reaction Score
I don’t like the fact she talked about, but that is a real thing. I know on the men’s side a lot of the bigger programs will break out different balls leading up to different opponents Just so they get the real for it.

Reaction Score
She’s in denial. Blaming it on the Nike ball vs. the Wilson ball??

UConn didn’t do anything different than everybody else. WE didn’t do this or that, blah blah. How about WE only scored 59 points. UConn had nothing to do with that?

Reaction Score
Weird. Didn't they know they were going to play with a Nike ball? Sounds like a coaching staff failure if the team wasn't prepared for that.
And, wouldn't they have used the Nike ball during their shoot around and their pre-game warm up? This is the most incredible excuse I have ever heard from a Coach...especially one with the experience and resume of this coach. Disappointed.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Like I said in the game thread. Hey Dawn, we beat you mostly playing 3 freshmen, a sophomore and a junior. Now what you got? The ball? I think both teams were using the same ball. Why didn't it affect UConn as much as it did you guys?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very little credit to UConn.

Had to wait to the last question about Paige. Paige is a player, when her number is called, she makes big shots. What she did not say is just how smart she is and everything else she does and her defense. She looks pretty depressed and probably thinks with 4 years of Azzi and Paige, they are going to start beating us again like a drum (irregardless of the good recruiting classes)

psconn

Reaction Score
I don’t like the fact she talked about, but that is a real thing. I know on the men’s side a lot of the bigger programs will break out different balls leading up to different opponents Just so they get the real for it.
If it makes that big a difference, it's a coaching failure that her team wasn't prepared for it.

Reaction Score
...just watched Dawn Staley's post-game press conference...My My......blaming the loss on the ball, huh? Called Paige a 'GOOD PLAYER'....is she kidding???? Is this the kind of coach we want leading our nation's team? She sure didn't learn her sore loser tactics under Coach Auriemma. If you didn't see the press conf., make sure to do it.
Attitude has a lot to do with coaching, and hers is really quite poor. Dawn Staley is OVER-RATED! Go UConn girls!

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure these universities buy basketballs of all the common brands to prep for road games. S Car had Nike basketballs they could work with I am sure of it.

psconn

Reaction Score

Perfect.
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
She’s in denial. Blaming it on the Nike ball vs. the Wilson ball??

UConn didn’t do anything different than everybody else. WE didn’t do this or that, blah blah. How about WE only scored 59 points. UConn had nothing to do with that?
Now I don't feel sorry for their loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom