POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged]

Reaction Score
I didn't see any mention in Mechelle Voepel's article about the fact that South Carolina got zero points on fast breaks last night (I think one of the announcers mentioned that they average 17?).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Are the balls different yes. Is it an excuse when you lose a game no. That is the dumbest excuse a coach at a Div 1 School can make! How about we couldn't stop Bueckers! She took over the game and no matter what we did she burnt us! I have played with just about every type of ball there is Mens and Womens and do they bounce different yes. Is the texture of the ball different yes. Do some feel a little heavier than others yes. Can you notice the difference when dribbling the different brands yes. So as the Coach when you lose blame it on the different ball!
What you do is have your players use different balls in practice! Make sure they are the proper weight with and without air. You have them doing ball handling drills with different types of balls. Dawn see my last comment!
What you don't do is blame the ball for your lost, LMAO!!!
now, that's an informed post!

most of us mortals really dislike it when, particularly outdoors, the only ball available is that plastically one that many seem to have in the back of their closet - 'im not bringing my good one! the asphalt will turn my pro one, with the nice smooth leather, into a suede mess.'
note: right after paige's commitment, someone posted a pic of her at a playground holding the plastically one. i then pointed it out in my post.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Again, to you or anyone who commented on my post. I said nothing about her Nike Ball reference being a legit excuse. If that comment is what's getting everyone's skin to turn, so be it. But don't make my message a co-defendant because it was not.
I am replying to your comment, "She gave her opinion and protected her team ...". My point is she threw her team under the bus by saying they were inadequate to adapt.

Reaction Score
I am replying to your comment, "She gave her opinion and protected her team ...". My point is she threw her team under the bus by saying they were inadequate to adapt.
I understood and don't agree with that. I could be wrong, But I never heard her say they, were inadequate. She did say her team didn't adjust. I did hear her say that our (UCONN) Defense crowded her teams space and made it hard for them.

Reaction Score
She made no excuses on why she lost. She gave her opinion and protected her team while building up her team after a loss. It's ok to for a coach to play the we had an off night card verses tearing down her team and planting seeds of doubt. Especially with a young team in which she has.
somehow I don't see Geno ever using the feel of the basketball as the reason his team didn't play well.............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There you saw a press conference which brought out 2 principal characteristics of Dawn's character. She takes everything personally and she is never wrong. Will we meet them again this year? Could well be. Both teams have things to work on. Gotta keep an eye on Dawn and the game balls.

Reaction Score
somehow I don't see Geno ever using the feel of the basketball as the reason his team didn't play well.............
Nope never. Sometimes I wish he would....Sarcasm
Dawn did say UCONN players had something to do with the lost?

Reaction Score
It was the ball's fault!

Yeah this was weird and unnecessary to mention. Zia Cooke also referred to this on her postgame interview. Why didn't they practice with the right ball prior to the game? If anything it is POOR planning on SC's side. Be prepared. Do better.

Also, the SC players did not give UCONN any credit for their defense during the post game interviews. ?

Reaction Score

Stats broken down by 'Other' and 'Nike' based on the above post.

As a team
13.1 vs 16.5 TPG.

As a player
1.9 vs 4.0 TPG for Henderson
17.7 vs 12.5 PPG for Cooke (eFG% .487 vs .430)

1612902901858.png

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
When I was playing (mediocre) high school softball, the ball color was transitioning from white to that fluorescent yellow. For a few years, you might show up at a game and there was a white ball or there was a yellow ball -- you never quite knew what you were going to get until you got there.

So what did we do? We practiced with both colors. Coach kept a big bucket of balls and whether it was batting practice or fielding drills, we never knew which color was coming at us.

If we could figure it out...

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
All this talk of the ball makes my head want to explode, and frankly very disappointed in Staley. Can only imagine if she were in a conference where some teams are at altitude and others not! Haven't heard that used as the excuse for visitors to Colorado or Utah.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I follow basketball extensively, men, women, AAU, etc. Has anyone ever heard this message of a meaningful difference in brand balls?
When we played on our own playground or traveled to other playgrounds; there was available a mix of different basketballs with covers made from synthetic rubber, rubber, composition, or leather. Our biggest concern was a ball to play with and the ball was properly inflated - it bounced! The real problem was the "court" surfaces. Which were rough at best. Never heard anyone complain about losing because of the ball or the "court."

Reaction Score
Well to me the big news here is; Different schools use different balls? I’ve been watching college hoops as long as most here and never knew that.

Reaction Score
For the rest of the year, I hope that coaches on teams that lose to SC say: "It was the ball"...tongue in cheek. Maybe that will lighten her up? Doubt it!

Reaction Score
Dawn is a spoiled sport, Dawn is a spoiled sport - Take the ball and go home - Oh wait, its a Nike ball, Never Mind

Reaction Score
Its Dawns' fault they lost, because her halftime adjustments were trash. Cooke and Henderson were trying to draw fouls and get to the line. They were taking ill-advised shots without anyone else touching the ball. They did their best Arike impressions with their shooting numbers, but unfortunately both are rail thin and cant draw contact. They knew they would stuffed so they continued forcing insane shots. I was getting so annoyed with them not passing Boston the ball. Plus they made lazy pass after lazy pass. Nika and Paige feasted on those passes.

Also, have Edwards and Amihere ever played together on a Canadian national team? Edwards may not be as athletic as Amihere, but she is way more skilled and physical.

Boston needs a stretch 4 counterpart, and some guards that will give her the ball. She has no room to operate, and she still had a pretty good game. Paige found her posts on some nice pick and rolls. Henderson uses a pick and she isn't even looking in the direction for the pass. It was ugly to watch. I underestimated Harris' impact on this team.

Reaction Score
When I was playing (mediocre) high school softball, the ball color was transitioning from white to that fluorescent yellow. For a few years, you might show up at a game and there was a white ball or there was a yellow ball -- you never quite knew what you were going to get until you got there.

So what did we do? We practiced with both colors. Coach kept a big bucket of balls and whether it was batting practice or fielding drills, we never knew which color was coming at us.

If we could figure it out...
Sorry not the same thing.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Sorry not the same thing.

The ball being hurled at you is a completely different color! It was especially difficult as a batter. I’m sorry, but that was exponentially more difficult than playing with different brands of basketballs (which we also did, but never thought twice about it).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom