POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged]

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If schools are able to pick which ball they use,
AFAIK this has always been the case. Different schools can use different balls. I think there was some article about this (in the men's game) a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
UConn why do you have us dribbling with a flat ball? Did you'll learn that from New England. Well it work. We had zero fast break points. :) This is not the first time Dawn mentioned something about the ball. I don't remember who it was but I knew Cooke was having issues with it. Had to be a road team so we won that game regardless.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Unbelievable!!! You blame the ball for a loss.

Sorry Dawn. That just doesn't cut it. You are the coach and you should know what ball is being used. And you said you need less dribbling and get the ball into the post more. That's on you Dawn. You are the coach. Take care of business.

I was never impressed that Dawn was a great coach. A good coach - yes. Not great, not even close. That was a pitiful interview. Can't even give the opposition any credit. Sour grapes for sure.

BTW - there was an article posted on the board that quoted Dawn as saying we don't need to bring our A game to beat UConn. Was someone a little overconfident?

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
LOL Nothing new here, move along

for some It's the ball,
for some it's the Banners
for some it's just the air of greatness that once graced the courts of Gampel Pavillion..

They can all find an excuse if they look hard enough.. :)

Reaction Score
I cringed when she said that. Because there is no excuse for all those turnovers. They should have been practicing with a NIKE ball leading up to the game. I will say I was yelling at the TV because Henderson was moving and leaving the ball behind on occasions. Hopefully she made the statement to protect her backcourt from the media. I am curious how many SEC schools use a NIKE ball.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This just in-NEW BANNER AT SC

1612844434087.png

Reaction Score
If schools are able to pick which ball they use, you can bet every road game SC has the rest of the year they'll be using Wilson balls.
You must mean NIKE. SC plays with a Wilson ball.

Reaction Score
South Carolina can hang a banner saying they were #1 on February 8, before 9:15 PM. ;)
Or South Carolina is the forever #1 with Wilson basketball on the court.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
By Mechelle Voepel. This is her take.
I don't think much of her, but I still would've expected better.

She's always missing the boat while counting ladybugs. As if UConn didn't miss shots or miss free throws or make other mistakes that might've been avoided in a perfect game. SMH

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Voepel:

Yet if the Gamecocks had hit one of the four shots they had at the basket at the end of regulation--- Destanni Henderson's jumper was short, then Victaria Saxton missed a putback, followed by Aliyah Boston's two missed putback attempts -- Bueckers wouldn't have been the story of the night.

The Gamecocks will rue their missed layups, which ruined their normally lethal transition game, missed free throws (8 of 15) and turnovers (21). They kept the Huskies 24.1 points below their season average of 87.1 coming into the game, held them to just 2 of 15 from behind the arc and outrebounded them 52-39.

I wonder if UConn is allowed to change anything in the game. Missed FTs? Turnovers?

Reaction Score
I don't think much of her, but I still would've expected better.

She's always missing the boat while counting ladybugs. As if UConn didn't miss shots or miss free throws or make other mistakes that might've been avoided in a perfect game. SMH
Or a half court heave? Or the officiating. I think SC looked like the better team good portion of the game but Paige is the difference in tight games, because she can find her shot. If we meet SC again we will need more contributions from others to beat them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom