• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
You know when UConn tries to build something on campus and the Mansfield folks lose their minds? Or the folks who told Lew he was wrong when he basically predicted the future step for step?

This is one of those guys.

In another day, he’d be clinging to the Yankee Conference like grim death. Their ties to the U are loose, so just ignore them.
The Mansfield people are the best.

They act like a college campus moved into their neighborhood, as opposed to the other way around. And nothing surprises them more than college kids behaving the way college kids have behaved since forever.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It would be a year or two beyond that (I imagine something like a three year graduated buy-in) but the $40 million annually would be conservatively accurate.

It would almost assuredly be on the low end of what our number would be. I'm just disputing that we'd be making that from year one, because we would certainly take a big hit the first few years from everything I laid out in the last post.

Reaction Score
A move to the Big XII would cost:

• $30 million exit fee from Big East
  • unknown entrance fee to Big XII
  • forfeiture of tournament credits from NCAA tournament $12 mill? (from NCAA basketball championship)
  • reduced BigXII revenue as new member
Billy Jack, are you the Billy Jack who is the moderator of the Holy Land of Hoops board?

Reaction Score
Last time around I thought it was UT and OK that blocked expansion. Don't have that problem this time.

With expansion, the existing members will have to play a lower % of their games against BYU and UCF. Probably a benefit in their minds.

But we are likely way behind CO, AZ, and AZ State on the candidate list at this point, as we should be.

Are we really behind Utah? Especially since they already have BYU? Aren't we a bigger national brand than Utah?

Reaction Score
Then you hear that one of the reasons for the first rejection was the state of the facilities other than BB and FB. Hey look, we're being reconsidered all of a sudden!
Who said this, and when? That sounds silly. We didn’t get into the ACC because Pitt and Cuss hoodwinked us, and BC and the football schools didn’t want us; and we didn’t get into the B1G because UMD and RU had the TV markets (and being AAU didn’t hurt).

Reaction Score
Incorrect. Those are ours, the conference can't take them back. More likely they will be offset against the exit fee when we negotiate to leave the conference.

That's what happened last time, anyway.
And the 30MM gets cut in half in a couple of years.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm just finding that some people are so gung-ho for this to happen that they're making arguments that aren't factually correct to try to show people how obvious the decision is. If it's such a no-brainer, then stand on the merits of the move rather than trying to pas BS like saying UConn could be earing $40 million a year by 2025.

The merits have been stated countless times on here. We've heard yours loud and clear, playing Seton Hall is more important than funding out entire athletic department.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You weren't following Big East basketball if you don't realize Seton Hall and Providence got better when the conference broke apart.
Better than the Carlesimo years? I don't think so. As to Providence, I shrug. Their trophy case is about as full as Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Better than the Carlesimo years, I don't think so. As to Providence, I shrug. Their trophy case is about as full as Rutgers.
I didn't say that, of course not. Both programs had success a long time ago but they absolutely stunk before the conference reshuffling. Neither of them went dancing for a decade. The Gonzo, Tim Welsh, and Keno years were putrid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's not weird at all that you go on other biggest boards using the name of a Connecticut player. Not weird in the least.

I mean, it's certainly not as weird is going on a Connecticut board and claiming that the Big East saved Connecticut basketball and then lecturing the Fanbase about being civil, when at the same time you are participating in a Friar talk thread which has profanity in death wishes for players. It's definitely not as weird is that.

Reaction Score
A move to the Big XII would cost:

• $30 million exit fee from Big East
  • unknown entrance fee to Big XII
  • forfeiture of tournament credits from NCAA tournament $12 mill? (from NCAA basketball championship)
  • reduced BigXII revenue as new member
All of which when totalled up and offset by Big12 revenue would presumably put UConn in the black after a handful of years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There's a rumor on Friar talk that they are the same person.
While I could well be wrong I highly doubt that this is true. I really don't see FriarJ as a deadhead.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I translate Yormak's statement today as follows: "Well, by pretending we'd fill the spots with UConn and Gonzaga we were unable to get the 4 4-corner schools to accept our offer before knowing the Pac's future, so now we'll wait and see how their contract looks and whether they're joining us or not."

If you look at how expansion has played out in the past, typically ESPN tries to bully a conference with a lowball deal, then rips the conference apart when it doesn’t sign. Throughout the process, ESPN news reports self serving stories about how the target league is in trouble.

We have seen this playbook before.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I translate Yormak's statement today as follows: "Well, by pretending we'd fill the spots with UConn and Gonzaga we were unable to get the 4 4-corner schools to accept our offer before knowing the Pac's future, so now we'll wait and see how their contract looks and whether they're joining us or not."
I said a few weeks ago, they want Colorado, Arizona, Utah and ASU in that order. UConn is probably 5th. They have no actual interest in Gonzaga or any school without football. This goes back decades. They always wanted to expand southwest.

I‘m certain that possibly aside from Cincinnati, those four corner schools rank higher than the four they just added too. It’s possible only Colorado leaves the Pac and that’s the scenario UConn needs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Last time around I thought it was UT and OK that blocked expansion. Don't have that problem this time.

With expansion, the existing members will have to play a lower % of their games against BYU and UCF. Probably a benefit in their minds.

But we are likely way behind CO, AZ, and AZ State on the candidate list at this point, as we should be.

Are we really behind Utah? Especially since they already have BYU? Aren't we a bigger national brand than Utah?
Well they did lose to Penn State In the Rose Bowl the week after beating #4 USC to win the PAC, so maybe? Two straight Rose Bowls though.

Too much basketball thinking here. Colorado - Utah - UA - ASU, in that order. Colorado mostly because they never should have left + Deion is making them news.

UConn has a basketball brand for sure. I think Mora gives us enough credibility that you can imagine a football brand emerging. That’s why we are in the conversation at all. God what a good hire that was. Cinci got to the playoff out on the AAC. When you are trying to replace OU and UT you have to have that. UCF projects as a high upside school in a better league.

Reaction Score
I said a few weeks ago, they want Colorado, Arizona, Utah and ASU in that order. UConn is probably 5th. They have no actual interest in Gonzaga or any school without football. This goes back decades. They always wanted to expand southwest.

I‘m certain that possibly aside from Cincinnati, those four corner schools rank higher than the four they just added too. It’s possible only Colorado leaves the Pac and that’s the scenario UConn needs.
Why do they want Utah so badly? They've had some nice football seasons but is locking down the state of Utah really that important? I've traveled a lot and been to a lot of sports bars all over. I've never actually met or seen a Utah fan.

Reaction Score
While I could well be wrong I highly doubt that this is true. I really don't see FriarJ as a deadhead.
He is trolling for PC comments. He’s hot and cold on us, though mostly negative comments about us, on Friar Talk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom