• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
This is a basketball only invitation? Don’t see it happening.

Reaction Score
Incorrect. Those are ours, the conference can't take them back. More likely they will be offset against the exit fee when we negotiate to leave the conference.

That's what happened last time, anyway.

No, that’s not how it works. The basketball tournament units go to the conference of the team that earned them and the conference distributes the money to its members as it sees fit. If a team leaves a conference, it leaves any units it earned and the dollars those units represent behind with the conference it was in at the the time the units were earned.

If we were to leave the Big East next year, for example, we would lose the entire revenue we earned in our championship run. The money is distributed on a 6 year rolling system. This year’s tournament units are estimated worth about 2 million over a 6 year period. The Big East earned $30 million from this year’s tournament with $10 million of it earned by our run to the championship. The Big East does not distribute its revenue evenly, so we would get a disproportionately higher percent of that conference total. Bottom line is that we would leave all of that money which we just earned for the conference behind.

Reaction Score
This UConn to the Big 12 thing has worked out about as well as expected.
The AD Report said UConn and the Big 12 are talking. "The movement is gaining momentum but not guaranteed to happen. Both sides are still doing their homework."

And it was only 2 weeks ago that Russell Steinberg tweeted that Yormark was recently on campus but that it was "very exploratory" and does not mean anything is imminent.

Why do people think that something was going to happen NOW?

Reaction Score
Still no invite? I thought this was the week :(
The AD Report said UConn and the Big 12 are talking. "The movement is gaining momentum but not guaranteed to happen. Both sides are still doing their homework."

And it was only 2 weeks ago that Russell Steinberg tweeted that Yormark was recently on campus but that it was "very exploratory" and does not mean anything is imminent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hahaha... uh oh, someone's butt hurt...
:D

DGB

Reaction Score
Last time around I thought it was UT and OK that blocked expansion. Don't have that problem this time.

With expansion, the existing members will have to play a lower % of their games against BYU and UCF. Probably a benefit in their minds.

But we are likely way behind CO, AZ, and AZ State on the candidate list at this point, as we should be.

Are we really behind Utah? Especially since they already have BYU? Aren't we a bigger national brand than Utah?
I understand that bolded is the media narrative, but why do we insist on flogging ourselves with it on a UConn board.

These schools have research advantages...but that only matters for the B1G, which isn't interested. From a sports and national brand standpoint UConn is ahead of these schools. Colorado and Zona have been terrible in football. Terrible. The states are marginally bigger, but aren't ever mentioned with the phrase "could bring the NY/Boston market." Colorado shares its market with four pro sports teams, as does Zona...which also shares with ASU. Speaking of which, ASU is the second school in the state. UConn should be considered miles ahead of them.

Oh and UConn does that thing where it wins a major national championship in March every six years or so.

UConn is a better program/option than a lot of current P5 teams. We don't have to accept a narrative that UConn should be behind the likes of these schools. We should stop fighting over the scraps at Longshanks table and invade York or something...

Reaction Score
Utah averaged 52,000 and are top 40 in home attendance. We averaged 22,000 and are barely in the top 100. That’s why.
And Utah puts up curtains to hide half its basketball arena and still doesn't come close to filling up the remaining part.

BYU delivers the same market and more.

Don't think they're a priority compared to CU and the Arizona schools.

Reaction Score

Sarcasm from a basketball only.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I understand that bolded is the media narrative, but why do we insist on flogging ourselves with it on a UConn board.

These schools have research advantages...but that only matters for the B1G, which isn't interested. From a sports and national brand standpoint UConn is ahead of these schools. Colorado and Zona have been terrible in football. Terrible. The states are marginally bigger, but aren't ever mentioned with the phrase "could bring the NY/Boston market." Colorado shares its market with four pro sports teams, as does Zona...which also shares with ASU. Speaking of which, ASU is the second school in the state. UConn should be considered miles ahead of them.

Oh and UConn does that thing where it wins a major national championship in March every six years or so.

UConn is a better program/option than a lot of current P5 teams. We don't have to accept a narrative that UConn should be behind the likes of these schools. We should stop fighting over the scraps at Longshanks table and invade York or something...

Did you just type Arizona is marginally bigger than CT?

Reaction Score
Look at their home slate and compare it to ours.

Something tells me our attendance would be a great deal better playing real teams...
Exactly!! Michigan game is an example. We could average 50 M in the Big12.

Reaction Score
Having a real team to play real teams is key. We can’t look at the last 10 years as a barometer. We had horrible coaches and an unappealing schedule. The only reasonable reference point for performance on the field and in the stands is during the Big East years. We were a pretty good program with a full stadium. The B12 would provide a similar quality schedule (better, actually) and Jim Mora is no slouch.

There is no reason to think a formidable UConn team playing a B12 schedule would look anything like the AAC years. It would look much more like the Big East years.

Reaction Score
The basketball tournament units go to the conference of the team that earned them and the conference distributes the money to its members as it sees fit. If a team leaves a conference, it leaves any units it earned and the dollars those units represent behind with the conference it was in at the the time the units were earned.
The units have already been distributed, they are UConn's.

When a school leaves a conference and there is an exit fee, they usually leave the units behind to offset the amount of the exit fee. But that is a negotiated settlement.

Reaction Score

I hope you are right, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
The units have already been distributed, they are UConn's.

When a school leaves a conference and there is an exit fee, they usually leave the units behind to offset the amount of the exit fee. But that is a negotiated settlement.

I don’t know where you’re getting this information. They are already distributed but they are distributed to the conferences, not to the individual schools. AND the money is released over a 6 year period to the conferences, not all at once. So, no one has anything to take with them at this time.

Reaction Score
I said a few weeks ago, they want Colorado, Arizona, Utah and ASU in that order. UConn is probably 5th. They have no actual interest in Gonzaga or any school without football. This goes back decades. They always wanted to expand southwest.

I‘m certain that possibly aside from Cincinnati, those four corner schools rank higher than the four they just added too. It’s possible only Colorado leaves the Pac and that’s the scenario UConn needs.
I think if you're operating under the assumption that they want to go West and would only take us because they need another school to add with Colorado, that's a bad sign. We really don't want to be out on an island and if future expansion happens, have to start traveling even further west. We would probably need assurances that the future plans include adding teams on the east coast

Reaction Score
I don’t know where you’re getting this information. They are already distributed but they are distributed to the conferences, not to the individual schools. AND the money is released over a 6 year period to the conferences, not all at once. So, no one has anything to take with them at this time.
This is correct.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230603_110320_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230603_110320_Drive.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 87
Reaction Score
I think if you're operating under the assumption that they want to go West and would only take us because they need another school to add with Colorado, that's a bad sign. We really don't want to be out on an island and if future expansion happens, have to start traveling even further west. We would probably need assurances that the future plans include adding teams on the east coast
The B1G picked the LA schools off, and may possibly find another pair or two (Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington). The SEC doesn’t go past Texas, and I don’t think they’re planning to go further. That leaves a huge chunk for the B12. The east is pretty much picked over, except us. The only viable places for us would be B1G or ACC, but I’m not sure how much of the ACC will be left if the SEC and B1G take their picks.

Reaction Score
Won’t the BiG 12 money eventually dry up after Oklahoma and Texas football are gone from Big 12?

Seems like the Big 12 is a dying conference. The last few years in Big East have been awesome. I hope we don’t blow it chasing a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom