• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
“Other than the money” people are so goshdarn stupid with how determined they are to sink this athletic department. Potentially HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS difference over the next decade. There are so many freaking things you can to with that to ensure, not just survival, but success ACROSS THE BOARD. “Well money is an imaginary construct and we’ve won while poor we can do that forever while we reminisce over a fake imitation of a league that used to be as it stares in to the abyss” is not a real life strategy. Not to mention… we can still schedule BE teams! Crazy, right?! Smh

Reaction Score
If this is true someone explain how this works financially 1 game over 250 games? I don’t understand the audience and ad revenue economics of this.
I will…

When you hear the term, “basketball is undervalued”. That is what that means. There is no way that 250 basketball games = one football game.

But, because basketball and other sports has been an after thought, there is a realm of thinking that basketball’s value and it’s inventory aren’t evaluated properly. It isn’t about the ratings on a per game basis. It is the aggregate revenue, rating etc.

Basketball, as far as conferences go, is massively undervalued.

TV executives will argue that basketball is baked into the price they pay now, but I do not believe that is the case based on the big east deal.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
“Other than the money” people are so goshdarn stupid with how determined they are to sink this athletic department. Potentially HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS difference over the next decade. There are so many freaking things you can to with that to ensure, not just survival, but success ACROSS THE BOARD. “Well money is an imaginary construct and we’ve won while poor we can do that forever while we reminisce over a fake imitation of a league that used to be as it stares in to the abyss” is not a real life strategy. Not to mention… we can still schedule BE teams! Crazy, right?! Smh

Nah. Its just misguided. We shouldn't go back to AAC 2.0 because a bunch of people (not you, obviously) want to drink in an East Hartford parking lot and never actually enter a game. And NOW you think that is going to change? In CONNECTICUT? Because we can put UCF , Houston and Cincinnati on our schedule again?

Reaction Score
You can say that, but Fox has been extremely happy with their deal. It was set up so the schools payout grew incrementally over the course of the contract, and they've been making a profit off of it for the last 5 years.
Also, the money is so much less for a basketball conference. Fox will pay roughly the same amount for the Big 10 championship football game this year as they will to all 11 Big East teams for the year.
But they have also tied up a lot of TV time slots with the B1G and Big12 which wasn't the case when the Big East got their deal with Fox. There are a lot of shifting pieces, so we can speculate till the cows come home.

Reaction Score
For the people who are so definitive on “going to the big 12 is a slam dunk and only idiots think otherwise” - why are the majority of media/reporter headlines/articles/podcasts saying or leaning towards “uconn should stay in the big east”. Most of the things I see are either stay in the big east or it’s a tough choice, but 50% of this board thinks that’s moronic. It’s the brash confidence of the pro big 12 contingent here that is the most confusing part

Reaction Score
Nah. Its just misguided. We shouldn't go back to AAC 2.0 because a bunch of people (not you, obviously) want to drink in an East Hartford parking lot and never actually enter a game. And NOW you think that is going to change? In CONNECTICUT? Because we can put UCF , Houston and Cincinnati on our schedule again?
I mean, I don’t like this move, but understand the practicality of it. I was a student during the height of the football team’s success and the Rent was packed and loud when I was there. The game against Baylor with RG3 was nuts.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In wrestling, this is called a full nelson.

Reaction Score
For the people who are so definitive on “going to the big 12 is a slam dunk and only idiots think otherwise” - why are the majority of media/reporter headlines/articles/podcasts saying or leaning towards “uconn should stay in the big east”. Most of the things I see are either stay in the big east or it’s a tough choice, but 50% of this board thinks that’s moronic. It’s the brash confidence of the pro big 12 contingent here that is the most confusing part

Because the media doesn't have to fund UConn athletics?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Are you guaranteeing that money? Like with an insurance policy? Otherwise, shhhh.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
1. Because we've been the perpetual whippping boy of conference realignment and having us stay in the BE keeps us that way.

2. If we stay in the Big East, it keeps open a slot for that reporters favorite team moving up / over.

3. It is apparently what half our own fan base wants to here.

4. They don't have to cut the checks around here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've heard for a number of years that you're a guitar player but I'm beginning to wonder if this is true. You've been beating the same drum for a while now (since the rumors began) and it's either off pitch, out of tune or however they describe a drum that isn't making the desired sound.

Claiming that the B-12 can be covered by mentioning UCF, Cincinnati and Houston is a Nelson level tactic that is intentionally obtuse because the author intellectually is either unwilling or unable discuss actual points.

Most of your comments come from the myopic viewpoint of a PC fan who believes that the only purpose of our existence is the be the sailfish or swordfish that the remora (PC) can latch onto for survival.

One fortunate thing is that none of us will have any say in the matter. A further fortunate thing is that if the offer does arrive, the BOT will most likely accept within seconds.

August_West

Reaction Score
I've heard for a number of years that you're a guitar player but I'm beginning to wonder if this is true. You've been beating the same drum for a while now (since the rumors began) and it's either off pitch, out of tune or however they describe a drum that isn't making the desired sound.

Claiming that the B-12 can be covered by mentioning UCF, Cincinnati and Houston is a Nelson level tactic that is intentionally obtuse because the author intellectually is either unwilling or unable discuss actual points.

Most of your comments come from the myopic viewpoint of a PC fan who believes that the only purpose of our existence is the be the sailfish or swordfish that the remora (PC) can latch onto for survival.

One fortunate thing is that none of us will have any say in the matter. A further fortunate thing is that if the offer does arrive, the BOT will most likely accept within seconds.
Name your others? Iowa St? You pumped for Kansas Football? Yay Texas Tech!

Tesxas and Oklahoma aren't here to actually make this any different than the AAC we joined a decade ago

Reaction Score
I mean, I don’t like this move, but understand the practicality of it. I was a student during the height of the football team’s success and the Rent was packed and loud when I was there. The game against Baylor with RG3 was nuts.
This. Those games were big with the student and the Rent and student section was bumping.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is it different? I said they can compete in the same conference, or as an independent.

Possible Big 12 Invite rumors

The post linked above reads like a School must be a member of all sports in a conference or be independent. What you are saying the rule is that a School can't be a part of two different conferences that offer overlapping sports.

If you have a link to the NCAA rule on this, I'd be interested in reading it.

Reaction Score

Tesxas and Oklahoma aren't here to actually make this any different than the AAC we joined a decade ago
Go look at our home schedules last year and this upcoming season. There will be a lot more interest in the football that the B12 has to offer than what we can schedule as an independent (and what we got in the AAC).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You can say that, but Fox has been extremely happy with their deal. It was set up so the schools payout grew incrementally over the course of the contract, and they've been making a profit off of it for the last 5 years.
Also, the money is so much less for a basketball conference. Fox will pay roughly the same amount for the Big 10 championship football game this year as they will to all 11 Big East teams for the year.

The economics of football vs basketball are nuts. Basically, the P5 means a half-billion a decade in revenue over the Big East. That’s not bake sale money.

Yup.

August_West

Reaction Score
Can any football fan tell me with a straight face they havent seen more people in the parking lot than in the stands for the 2nd half of most games at the rendt for last 6 years?

Reaction Score
Can any football fan tell me with a straight face they havent seen more people in the parking lot than in the stands for the 2nd half of most games at the rendt for last 6 years?
The last 6 years? Sure. But we were in the building when the product was good, and the games mattered. Bringing Edsall in to be some kind of gatekeeper that wasn't even TRYING to win games seemed like an attmept at deep sixing this program for good. It didn't work apparently.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Possible Big 12 Invite rumors

The post linked above reads like a School must be a member of all sports in a conference or be independent. What you are saying the rule is that a School can't be a part of two different conferences that offer overlapping sports.

If you have a link to the NCAA rule on this, I'd be interested in reading it.

You cannot pick and choose where to send your athletic programs.

The Big East does not offer football, so we could put the football program wherever we wanted. If it did, we would either have to join it or remain independent. We could not, say, send football to the MAC and keep everything else in the Big East.

Notre Dame?

Notre Dame is a member of the ACC. Their football is independent.

August_West

Reaction Score
The economics of football vs basketball are nuts. Basically, the P5 means a half-billion a decade in revenue over the Big East. That’s not bake sale money.

Yup.

Why do you care about money? LOL . I don't get why anyone in CT cares about money. It aint your pocket. If you live in CT do you think your tax dollars will be reduced because we get better TV money for a few years from Big 12? If you do, you're an idiot.

Conversely, do you think the state will let the flagship programs of the flagship university die without Football money? Nope they won't. And before you say well thats unavoidable, I guess we would be in sinking ship with 300 other D1 teams.

Get a grip.

I'm willing to go down with the ship. We will be better off, because Football is NEVER saving the University of CONNECTICUT.

Why is this so hard?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

We filled the Rent for Baylor, Iowa St and WVU (many times) in the past and I look forward to doing it again in the future (if this is what our future holds).

I love the idea of the two most recent champions prior to us may be regular opponents. I would trade Kansas and Baylor for any two BE opponents, Nova (a tough loss but they aren't Kansas) and anyone you name.

After that, K St, Ok St, WVU, are all more attractive opponents (and equal to or better hoops programs) than the next three BE schools.

Texas Tech, Cincinnati & Houston would compare favorably to whoever you would list next from the BE.

Your claims are intentionally closed minded because you realize viewing it with an open mind would require you to place schools like PC, Seton Hall et al where they truly sit in the scheme of things, just a few small, nondescript schools in the middle of an enormous pack (D1 men's basketball).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Until UConn is offered membership in the Big 12, Kansas is the only flagship state school in the conference. Kansas. Yet we are to believe that this league has somehow permanently emerged as the #3 conference in college sports over the Pac 12 and ACC? It doesn't feel real, at all.

The upside case is that the Big 12 somehow becomes the Big East circa 2002-2011, the Island of Misfit Toys that goes on an epic and unexpected run of success for a decade that no one can explain, and the top programs somehow find a soft landing when the next round of realignment hits when the ACC contract expires. That's the upside. I can talk myself into this being a possibility, but I don't think it is the likely outcome.

The downside case is literally everything else. Somehow the ACC blows up their GOR and there is another round of musical chairs where UConn ends up without a home. Or the SEC and/or Big 10 pick off a couple of Big 12 schools, which starts a stampede for the exits and UConn is without a home. Or these programs just revert back to their historical means for basketball and football, and kind of suck, and when the next broadcast contract comes along, the Big 12 is compensated commensurate with its on field/court performance.

I think that the reports of the ACC's and Pac 12's demise are very premature. The West Coast will continue to be a player in college athletics, one way or the other. There are just too many people west of the Great Plains for the West not to be part of the solution. And the ACC, with its basketball history and academic prestige, will also continue to be a player in college athletics. What does the Big 12 have again, other than a handful of programs that have all seem to have had their best seasons in program history in the last 5 years.

If UConn does this, and it doesn't work out, we will be in the A10 with UMass. It will be catastrophic for the athletic program and the university. And there are a lot of ways that this might not work out. Leaving now, after the Big East saved UConn's athletic department, is burning the bridges with the Big East with gasoline and then dropping a few bombs on whatever is left. There is no going back if the Big 12 doesn't work out.

Are the pro-Big 12 fans THAT confident that the Big 12 is going to succeed?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom