Pac 12 Conference Outlook | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 Conference Outlook

Reaction Score
UCLA, after a very highly rated recruiting class for 2022, has one recruit for 2023 (Amanda Muse). They lost Jada Williams to Arizona (decommit) and I will speculate that Breya Cunningham, Williams' teammate, also decided against UCLA in favor of Arizona for similar reasons. What are those reasons? It could be travel times or it could be something else, but the move to the Big 10 would be the biggest change that would have affected Williams.

I note that UCLA has started posting photos of the team riding in very nice private aircraft for longer trips. So, yes, I bet it's factoring into recruiting.
Nike Airlines flew WBB to their recent trip to Los Angeles. So it's nice to see others too.:)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Pac 12 has a full slate of games on Thursday instead of the usual Friday. Stanford-Colorado is a matinee for some strange reason.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Talia von Oelhoffen out for the rest of the year. Been battling an injury and shutting it down. Maybe this partially explains the relatively ineffective play for most of the Pac 12 schedule?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like Stanford did not get the memo about the early start time. They are pretty much AWOL still approaching half time.

Reaction Score
Looks like Stanford did not get the memo about the early start time. They are pretty much AWOL still approaching half time.
How difficult is it to “get your second wind” at Boulder and Provo” if you are a sea level team like Stanford?

Stanford shooting 12.5 % midway second quarter!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
How difficult is it to “get your second wind” at Boulder and Provo” if you are a sea level team like Stanford?

Stanford shooting 12.5 % midway second quarter!
I really don't know. People act like playing at elevation is nearly an insurmountable obstacle, but I don't buy it. Fit young athletes should be okay. When I was younger I would go hiking just about every weekend during the summer, and I honestly did not notice any difference in my breathing around 5000 feet of elevation. Granted I wasn't running up and down a basketball court, but a long hike can be an all day affair, lasting much longer than a game of hoops. I really think you've gotta get closer to 10,000 feet for it to be a really noticeable difference...if you are reasonably fit.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cal hung tough w/ Utah in the first half, but the Utes ran away after halftime. 101-76 final.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cougs get a nice win on the road at UCLA. Only 1 game behind the Bruins in the standings now.

Reaction Score
WSU Cougs take down UCLA in Los Angeles. 62-55. Big road win that moves them to 19-9, 9-8 in conference. I think at least 3 of WSU losses were while Charlese ledger-Walker was back New Zealand on family matter.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon St. is gonna do the unthinkable and lose to Arizona St. At home. Beavs are now officially dead to me. Fire Rueck. Anyone ignoring the downtrend the last several years absolutely cannot deny it now. This season has been a disaster.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Meanwhile Oregon getting a desperately needed win over Arizona.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The night cap is trying very hard to be one of the worst games in history.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to be a homer! but idk if arz is better than us and after this performance by Ucla idk either. Hard to imagine this was the same team that almost won at South Carolina, look like a team that has no direction.

Reaction Score
Oregon with the shocking win over AZ.
Oregon State with the shocking loss to ASU.

My statement still stands (for now) -
OSU traded their season for this moment:
0rnDiOYl.png

Reaction Score
Now OSU having their beloved women's basketball team lose to this asu is a huge gut punch.
They were the darlings of Corvallis for years.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon with the shocking win over AZ.
Oregon State with the shocking loss to ASU.

My statement still stands (for now) -
OSU traded their season for this moment:
0rnDiOYl.png
They've stunk this year, but how in the world did they "trade their season" for that? That's just a ridiculous statement.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
USC and Washington set the game back about 50 years. 47-43 Trojans win. And that took a 21 point 4th quarter for UW to break the 40 point barrier, they only scored 22 thru 3 quarters. Yikes. UW 16-58 and USC 13-46 from the floor. Putrid.

It was 17-11 at halftime and 28-22 thru Q3. You couldn't have paid me to watch that from beginning to end.

Reaction Score
They've stunk this year, but how in the world did they "trade their season" for that? That's just a ridiculous statement.

It's just a sarcastic play on the fact that oregon state is so petty over the ducks they would anything to be on top of them. It's not that serious. Both teams are having a terrible season.

Reaction Score
I really don't know. People act like playing at elevation is nearly an insurmountable obstacle, but I don't buy it. Fit young athletes should be okay. When I was younger I would go hiking just about every weekend during the summer, and I honestly did not notice any difference in my breathing around 5000 feet of elevation. Granted I wasn't running up and down a basketball court, but a long hike can be an all day affair, lasting much longer than a game of hoops. I really think you've gotta get closer to 10,000 feet for it to be a really noticeable difference...if you are reasonably fit.
Depends on the person. When my daughter played softball touraments in Lake Tahoe, if we did not bring her up at least 48 hours in advance, the altitude would affect her.

For a softball tournament in Colorado we bought her up almost three days in advance and spent almost two days in Breckinridge to acclimatize.

The road game against Colorado was the road game I was most worried about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pac 12 has a full slate of games on Thursday instead of the usual Friday. Stanford-Colorado is a matinee for some strange reason.
Yeah those games threw me off. What time did Stanford/Colorado start playing?

Yes! Oregon gets a win. I was not expecting a win against Arizona but definitely will take the win. Breaking that 7-game losing streak.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom