Pac 12 Conference Outlook | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 Conference Outlook

Reaction Score
USC is on the way up and they also just signed JuJu Watkins. Props to Coach Gottlieb

I don't understand Oregon right now but things have been slipping since Sabrina left. They have way too much talent to still be performing where they are right now. They still have UCLA and Arizona down the stretch. Only sure bet for a win is that Arizona St game to wrap up the season. Washington and Washington St aren't great but they aren't push overs either. I'll be interested to see how they finish the year.
This is a great point, especially about usc. The Pac 12 is super competitive. I guess UCLA is leaving. But between USC, Arizona, Stanford, Utah, Oregon is looking at an uphill climb over the next couple years, when they seemed destined to be a program etched in the top 3 in the conference perennially.

Reaction Score
Is pili not playing for Utah today? They’re struggling against asu and I don’t see her in box score.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
re: Pili--not exactly an even trade, but McFarland has missed most of the season and she played today; 9 pts/9 reb is a solid contribution

Utah hung on. Looks like Kneepkens had a big game.

Skinner was 3-16. Does she ever shoot for a high percentage? Sure doesn't seem like it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arizona beat Colorado handily. Nice weekend for them. Pellington followed up her huge game on Friday w/ 18 pts today on 8-13 shooting and 5 assists. I'm gonna go ahead and give her Pac 12 Player of the Week, regardless of what else happens today.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No surprise, Washington St. beats Oregon St. I think for the first time ever Beers and Gardiner both had a good game at the same time, combined for 32 pts/18 reb. Both started. Rueck is going with a youth movement, 4 freshmen started. von Oelhoeffen continues to be in one of the worst funks I've ever seen. 1-10 today. Just can't get going. Too much Murekatete and Leger-Walker for the Beavs to handle.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dawgs are about to beat the Duckies. It's been 6 years I think. Will be 3-1 against the Oregon schools this year. Been a long time coming!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UW does it. Inching up toward .500 in conference (although they finish on the road at the LA schools, that's gonna be a tough pair of games). An NIT berth seems reasonable.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Another crazy day in the Pac. Last game of the day USC/Cal going down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Cal USC goes to OT. Foul by USC with clearly 0.4 seconds left on the clock in regulation was determined by the officials to be after time expired. Cal holds on and wins 81-78. Happy for Charmin.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tough loss for USC. Lost weekend for them. Cal has enough talent that you can't just overlook them.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Sad Black And White GIF

Oh Well, it was a nice short visit to #25

Reaction Score
This is a great point, especially about usc. The Pac 12 is super competitive. I guess UCLA is leaving. But between USC, Arizona, Stanford, Utah, Oregon is looking at an uphill climb over the next couple years, when they seemed destined to be a program etched in the top 3 in the conference perennially.
Uhh USC will leave the PAC-12 along with UCLA and join the B1G starting 1 August 2024. So both the Trojans and Bruins will play their final seasons as members of the PAC-12 in 2023/24. Not sure how you missed that….

Reaction Score
Uhh USC will leave the PAC-12 along with UCLA and join the B1G starting 1 August 2024. So both the Trojans and Bruins will play their final seasons as members of the PAC-12 in 2023/24. Not sure how you missed that….
I miss a lot of things. Not perfect and don't know everything about all the college realignments. That said point taken about USC.

Reaction Score
Still hard to wrap ones mind around the additional travel times for conference games for UCLA and USC. I wonder if that will factor in a recruits decision.....travel times.

Reaction Score
Still hard to wrap ones mind around the additional travel times for conference games for UCLA and USC. I wonder if that will factor in a recruits decision.....travel times.
And we're just talking women's basketball. Imagine how it will be for so many other sports like tennis, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, softball, on and on... it's just another example of how college sports have gone off the rails, losing track of what they're originally intended to be.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction, I saw that after I posted. Game will be on ESPN2, for those who don't have Pac12 Network.

Another correction, Oregon St. will host Arizona St. That's about as winnable of a game as you can possibly get, so they should at least reach the 4 win plateau...:eek:
It's a lock.

Reaction Score
Opinion from the sports feed of the Arizona Republic

Dodd's prediction for the Pac-12 would have Cal, Stanford, Washington State and Oregon State with Boise State, Fresno State, SMU and San Diego State.

"That lineup would reduce the Power Five to the Power Four, creating implications beyond the Pac-12 itself." he wrote.

Reaction Score
UCLA, after a very highly rated recruiting class for 2022, has one recruit for 2023 (Amanda Muse). They lost Jada Williams to Arizona (decommit) and I will speculate that Breya Cunningham, Williams' teammate, also decided against UCLA in favor of Arizona for similar reasons. What are those reasons? It could be travel times or it could be something else, but the move to the Big 10 would be the biggest change that would have affected Williams.

I note that UCLA has started posting photos of the team riding in very nice private aircraft for longer trips. So, yes, I bet it's factoring into recruiting.

Reaction Score
UCLA, after a very highly rated recruiting class for 2022, has one recruit for 2023 (Amanda Muse). They lost Jada Williams to Arizona (decommit) and I will speculate that Breya Cunningham, Williams' teammate, also decided against UCLA in favor of Arizona for similar reasons. What are those reasons? It could be travel times or it could be something else, but the move to the Big 10 would be the biggest change that would have affected Williams.

I note that UCLA has started posting photos of the team riding in very nice private aircraft for longer trips. So, yes, I bet it's factoring into recruiting.
I recall reading that Breya Cunningham’s mom attended Arizona or is from the Tucson area and that played a part in her decision to commit to Adia Barnes and the Wildcats. Suspect that opportunity to continue to play with Cunningham at the next level and UCLA having point guards Kiki Rice and Londynn Jones in the 2022 recruit class led to Jada Williams‘ decommitting from UCLA and joining Arizona instead (Jada Williams committed to UCLA before Rice or Jones did).

Ironically if Arizona does leave the PAC-12 for the Big-12 then the Wildcats will occasionally have to travel to Ames, Cincinnati, Orlando and Morgantown, not quite the distance that USC and UCLA will, but farther than they travel now.

Reaction Score
Ironically if Arizona does leave the PAC-12 for the Big-12 then the Wildcats will occasionally have to travel to Ames, Cincinnati, Orlando and Morgantown, not quite the distance that USC and UCLA will, but farther than they travel now.
I suspect most high school recruits are aware of the lack of stability in the Pac-12 conference and have considered what happens when the conference falls apart.

Barnes is an extremely savvy recruiter and has clearly managed to figure out a way to play this to the kitties advantage.

I'd love to hear her living room hitch selling recruits on playing in Oklahoma or Texas as opposed to the Bay area.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Can the Pac 12 survive as a football conference minus the defections?

No offense, bot the NY Post?
Andrew Marchand is the Post's sports media reporter. He isn't some flake. No one is out there questioning his reporting. In fact, others (Dennis Dodd, Dan Wolken, etc) are retweeting it. It's already been reported that ESPN and Fox have not been offering a lot of $$ for the PAC 12's media rights.

Reaction Score
Andrew Marchand is the Post's sports media reporter. He isn't some flake. No one is out there questioning his reporting. In fact, others (Dennis Dodd, Dan Wolken, etc) are retweeting it. It's already been reported that ESPN and Fox have not been offering a lot of $$ for the PAC 12's media rights.
Why would they?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom