Pac 12 Conference Outlook | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 Conference Outlook

Reaction Score
what a gutpunch as Usc had Stanford at 1 second but Brink got a putback to seal the W

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford now alone in first place, with Utah and Colorado right behind. Stanford-UCLA and Colorado-Arizona are big games on Sunday for everybody involved.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ucla-stanford on Monday
Thanks for the correction, I saw that after I posted. Game will be on ESPN2, for those who don't have Pac12 Network.

Another correction, Oregon St. will host Arizona St. That's about as winnable of a game as you can possibly get, so they should at least reach the 4 win plateau...:eek:

Reaction Score
I'm watching the game also. A strangely called game, to say the least. When Barnes got called for a tech in the 3rd quarter (She did it deliberately), Arizona, in a home game, was called for 20 fouls compared to Utah's 9. The fouls ended up with Arizona committing 26 fouls to Utah's 23. So 6 on Arizona and 14 on Utah after the tech. Granted, a few of the fouls by Utah were intentional at the very end of the game, but...
That was quite a turnaround in how the fouls were called.
In the 1st qtr...one ref made the overwhelming majority of calls.

Reaction Score
HUGE HUGE WIN FOR ADIA BARNES AND THE CATS! WOW! This conference never dissapoints me. I will say it again, hardest conference to win on the road.
Huge win indeed for Arizona and Coach Barnes. I thought for a minute there, Arizona was going to give the game away. But glad that they held on to get the huge upset. Pellington hit like 8 shots in a row at one point for Arizona.

USC/Stanford. First off, I love PAC 12 basketball. Games on Friday night. Great way for me to start my weekend. But that USC/Stanford game was great to watch. Stanford could not pull away from USC. USC made it pretty tough on Stanford.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Huge win indeed for Arizona and Coach Barnes. I thought for a minute there, Arizona was going to give the game away. But glad that they held on to get the huge upset. Pellington hit like 8 shots in a row at one point for Arizona.

USC/Stanford. First off, I love PAC 12 basketball. Games on Friday night. Great way for me to start my weekend. But that USC/Stanford game was great to watch. Stanford could not pull away from USC. USC made it pretty tough on Stanford.
What's your take on Stanford going forward? They've got to get through the #2, 3, 4 teams in the league before the conference tourney? Do you think they need to run the table to keep the NCAA #1 seed?

Reaction Score
How come everyone’s talking about the struggles that UConn’s having with a thin roster, yet no one’s taking about stanfords struggles with a healthy roster

Reaction Score
What's your take on Stanford going forward? They've got to get through the #2, 3, 4 teams in the league before the conference tourney? Do you think they need to run the table to keep the NCAA #1 seed?
Great questions. I still see Stanford as a Final Four team. They got too many options on offense and defense. Even if they stumble in the Pac 12 tournament and fail to win it, they will still be a #1 Seed in the NCAA. Also, some teams just are matchup nightmares. In this case, that USC squad gives Stanford fits.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Great questions. I still see Stanford as a Final Four team. They got too many options on offense and defense. Even if they stumble in the Pac 12 tournament and fail to win it, they will still be a #1 Seed in the NCAA. Also, some teams just are matchup nightmares. In this case, that USC squad gives Stanford fits.
This. Teams with a lot of length but quickness neutralize our size/reach and ability to pass the basketball inside.

Folks on our board were noting that the game was very loosely called, which also helped U$C's extremely physical defense. Also, a bizarre stat is that U$C scored a total of 2 - yes, 2 - points in the paint the entire game!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm watching the game also. A strangely called game, to say the least. When Barnes got called for a tech in the 3rd quarter (She did it deliberately), Arizona, in a home game, was called for 20 fouls compared to Utah's 9. The fouls ended up with Arizona committing 26 fouls to Utah's 23. So 6 on Arizona and 14 on Utah after the tech. Granted, a few of the fouls by Utah were intentional at the very end of the game, but...
That was quite a turnaround in how the fouls were called.
Ok, Arizona is a very physical team and warranted all those 1st half fouls and when Joan "biased for Arizona and Adia" Bonvincini asked Lynne Roberts about all the foul calls during the interview at the start of the second half, Lynne stated "Yes, I hope the officials keep calling fouls" intimating that Arizona is committing them, which they were. Utah was down 10 at the start of the 4th quarter and needing to be more aggressive to get turnovers, they committed 11 fouls in the quarter including 6 fouls in the last 2 minutes of the game so I would say it wasn't necessarily the refs making up for an imbalance but the fact that Utah needed to take more chances. And yes, I was actually happy that the refs called all those fouls on the Wildcats because, you know, THEY WERE FOULS. Even the homer announcer couldn't deny the fouls and just kept saying you have to adjust to the way the refs are calling the game.

While I am glad Arizona won, I am also glad the PAC-12 refs called them for all the fouls they committed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction, I saw that after I posted. Game will be on ESPN2, for those who don't have Pac12 Network.

Another correction, Oregon St. will host Arizona St. That's about as winnable of a game as you can possibly get, so they should at least reach the 4 win plateau...:eek:
Let me ask you this, Is Oregon a worthy NCAAT given their collapse here at the end of the season losing 8 of 9 and 9 of 11? I just don't see it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Let me ask you this, Is Oregon a worthy NCAAT given their collapse here at the end of the season losing 8 of 9 and 9 of 11? I just don't see it.
I don't think they're even remotely close to being worthy of getting selected, and haven't been for quite a while. How the NET keeps liking them is one of life's great mysteries. Their win over Arkansas has lost quite a bit of value as the season has progressed. They did thump what has turned out to be a pretty decent USC team on Jan. 1st. There's just not much of anything on their resume to justify a Tourney berth.

Reaction Score
Big win for Arizona. I had a feeling they would win, as the game at Utah was so close. Even though I don't mind the physicality, it was a hard game to watch because all of the fouls. But I thought their athleticism and defense would pose problems for Utah. Utah fought though despite not being on their game and Pili leaving the game for a bit because of an ankle injury. Obviously Pellington had the game of her career. Adia Barnes always talks about how she's improved as a shooter and I never believe it but games like that prove her right. I thought Reese and Pueyo played really well as well. For Utah I thought Johnson and Pili played pretty well but their guard play was a bit disappointing. Palmer rely struggled dealing with the pressure and also committed a strange intentional foul at the end of the game. McQueen also was rather quiet and Kneepkins played worse than her statline. Anyways good win for AZ, I think they have a real shot at being a top 3 seed.

Reaction Score
This. Teams with a lot of length but quickness neutralize our size/reach and ability to pass the basketball inside.

Folks on our board were noting that the game was very loosely called, which also helped U$C's extremely physical defense. Also, a bizarre stat is that U$C scored a total of 2 - yes, 2 - points in the paint the entire game!
Usc best big presence was out so not surprised, that's why the commentary was praising us for even being this competitive.

Reaction Score
I don't think they're even remotely close to being worthy of getting selected, and haven't been for quite a while. How the NET keeps liking them is one of life's great mysteries. Their win over Arkansas has lost quite a bit of value as the season has progressed. They did thump what has turned out to be a pretty decent USC team on Jan. 1st. There's just not much of anything on their resume to justify a Tourney berth.
Love to have Beers 45 miles down the road if she portals. Give you Pao Pao for your point guard next year in trade for Beers. Graves says Pao Pao is a star in the making.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Love to have Beers 45 miles down the road if she portals. Give you Pao Pao for your point guard next year in trade for Beers. Graves says Pao Pao is a star in the making.
Pass. Pao Pao is a bit like TVO, who the Beavers already have--started out looking like great things were in store, but several years down the road...still waiting. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anyway UO already has Van Slooten and Kyei, what do y'all need Beers for?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ok, Arizona is a very physical team and warranted all those 1st half fouls and when Joan "biased for Arizona and Adia" Bonvincini asked Lynne Roberts about all the foul calls during the interview at the start of the second half, Lynne stated "Yes, I hope the officials keep calling fouls" intimating that Arizona is committing them, which they were. Utah was down 10 at the start of the 4th quarter and needing to be more aggressive to get turnovers, they committed 11 fouls in the quarter including 6 fouls in the last 2 minutes of the game so I would say it wasn't necessarily the refs making up for an imbalance but the fact that Utah needed to take more chances. And yes, I was actually happy that the refs called all those fouls on the Wildcats because, you know, THEY WERE FOULS. Even the homer announcer couldn't deny the fouls and just kept saying you have to adjust to the way the refs are calling the game.

While I am glad Arizona won, I am also glad the PAC-12 refs called them for all the fouls they committed.
They were all the sort of fouls that Geno has been complaining about. All the efforts at impeding a player were called a foul.

Yes they are fouls. As Geno can attest, refs don't consistently call them, and that is more than true in the PAC. Kyle Bacon the lead official is a national ref, and I suspect after Geno's rather public griping officials got told to call the rules to improve flow of the game.

Historically, aggression was sometimes rewarded. As you note, it wasn't. And yes, the Cats would not for a long time adjust - but to be fair, Arizona is all about physical defense, as are many, many teams. It really doesn't bother me.

Reaction Score
Pass. Pao Pao is a bit like TVO, who the Beavers already have--started out looking like great things were in store, but several years down the road...still waiting. :rolleyes:
I think TVO in the right situation on the right team would thrive. Might add Graves is on a hotter seat than Rueck if for nothing else the Tinkle issue on the mens side is an AD hurdle.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom