OT: Stock trading | Page 58 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I might use Iron Mountain as a savings account.
8.2% dividend rate!

If you were gonna pick one for that, I’d say T.

It’s just so stable. It’s basically a highly paid utility. It’s not going anywhere

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you were gonna pick one for that, I’d say T.

It’s just so stable. It’s basically a highly paid utility. It’s not going anywhere

It is honestly undervalued. It has some big upside. Saw some presentations from industry insiders. Demand for Telco services has skyrocketed and yet almost none of the profits have gone to that sector. They are about to change that. Plus, HBO Max is well positioned to survive the streaming battle as new movies shift to home release.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I love reading the due diligence here zero factual data all on feelings and guesses. Charts, who needs em!

If you understood everyone's rationale for picking a stock you'd be able to either do it yourself or ask questions that would help you pick stocks.

Personally, I know crap about the stock market, but I'm up 40+% this year. But then again, so is everyone else.

Reaction Score

We’re here to win!

I think Cramer is a smart guy and his show is a scream. But, this piece makes no sense to me. I'll buy off that younger folks may have a longer time horizon and view of technology plays......maybe. I'll buy off that the individual investor is driving some of the run up.......some. But a new paradigm to investing where traditional valuations don't matter anymore.......no way.

First of all, while individual investors may be contributing to the recent run up, it's institutional money that holds most of the market. Anyone who doesn't think that money will flee when the going gets tough is delusional. Then we'll see how sticky the young guns really are. A lot of the run up now is folks on for the ride. You can make money jumping on, but at some point if you want to keep that money you have to get out. Then the run goes the other way, and you can be sure when it does traditional valuation will come into play.

My two cents........

Reaction Score
If you understood everyone's rationale for picking a stock you'd be able to either do it yourself or ask questions that would help you pick stocks.

Personally, I know crap about the stock market, but I'm up 40+% this year. But then again, so is everyone else.
I think the danger for people who’ve done well is to compare gains to reported gains by others. I recently deviated from my gameplan because some people I know or follow on Twitter have had greater gains than me and I was frustrated I wasn’t up a lot more. 40% by traditional standards is phenomenal, congrats.

Reaction Score
I think Cramer is a smart guy and his show is a scream. But, this piece makes no sense to me. I'll buy off that younger folks may have a longer time horizon and view of technology plays......maybe. I'll buy off that the individual investor is driving some of the run up.......some. But a new paradigm to investing where traditional valuations don't matter anymore.......no way.

First of all, while individual investors may be contributing to the recent run up, it's institutional money that holds most of the market. Anyone who doesn't think that money will flee when the going gets tough is delusional. Then we'll see how sticky the young guns really are. A lot of the run up now is folks on for the ride. You can make money jumping on, but at some point if you want to keep that money you have to get out. Then the run goes the other way, and you can be sure when it does traditional valuation will come into play.

My two cents........
Ive wrestled with this so much recently myself. I sold about 30% the other day, expecting a selloff like yesterday. But as the saying goes, never leave a party while there’s still booze. We should eventually get some sort of stimulus and the typical Santa Claus rally so I plan to ride that last wave up and then cut back a lot by January.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I don't trade in stocks normally but was offered to buy IPO shares of Airbnb because we host at our lake cottage and was elgible for their host deferred alottment program.
The estimate last week would be between $44 and $50 a share so I requested 10.
Then the posting came out last night and it was time to pay at $68 per.
It started trading at 1:38pm today at $147 and despite a initial spike has been hovering around the mid-$140's.
Not a bad investment "so far".

Reaction Score

Well there isn't a lot of 'return' for spending time posting graphs and analysis of income statements on this message board. I'm sure there are places where you can get real investment forums and exchange of actual information, expecting it here is akin to looking for it at the barber shop.

Reaction Score
Ive wrestled with this so much recently myself. I sold about 30% the other day, expecting a selloff like yesterday. But as the saying goes, never leave a party while there’s still booze. We should eventually get some sort of stimulus and the typical Santa Claus rally so I plan to ride that last wave up and then cut back a lot by January.

Honestly, I think the timing in and out day-to-day or minute-to-minute is a losing game. Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but that type of market timing hasn't ever proven out. I'm sure some folks are doing very well right now. I would also be willing to bet that there are folks with gambling tendencies in this game that are going to get obliterated.

Reaction Score
I don't trade in stocks normally but was offered to buy IPO shares of Airbnb because we host at our lake cottage and was elgible for their host deferred alottment program.
The estimate last week would be between $44 and $50 a share so I requested 10.
Then the posting came out last night and it was time to pay at $68 per.
It started trading at 1:38pm today at $147 and despite a initial spike has been hovering around the mid-$140's.
Not a bad investment "so far".
When I opened this thread I was actually going to ask if anyone got in at the IPO price. I got about 20% of what I asked for but at least I got some. Is it worth buying more at the current market price? Seems many of these IPOs go up a lot because of the market euphoria over something new and then settle down substantially. Maybe I'll just wait to see what happens. At least I have some at $68.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
This is a long play for me as I had a few extra bucks laying around from no concerts, sporting events and other general debauchery that I keep specially hidden from the wife in that side account.
I won't buy more and will just let this sit and see what happens. One of those opportunistic deals where I knew I shouldn't pass it up. We are Hosts and believe in the company so why not have a piece of it. When travel returns to normal again it will look even better. Past Guests were clammoring our our place this year because they knew it was a safe place to vacation. Fortunately we had blocked a lot of the calendar pre-pandemic for ourselves so when the Fit hit the Shan we were in good shape. Some of the money raised on this IPO will be going to Host protections and perks so again it was good to invest in that relationship.

Reaction Score
Well there isn't a lot of 'return' for spending time posting graphs and analysis of income statements on this message board. I'm sure there are places where you can get real investment forums and exchange of actual information, expecting it here is akin to looking for it at the barber shop.
Because this is primarily a basketball board, other boards are automatically better and nobody here knows anything? Read my initial list of stocks I suggested in May and get back to me, I’ll be in the barber shop.

Reaction Score

I suggested mmedf earlier in the thread. It's up 750%. I want my UConn fam to win big and not get scorched when the music stops is all. I used to work at an international brokerage.

Reaction Score
Because this is primarily a basketball board, other boards are automatically better and nobody here knows anything? Read my initial list of stocks I suggested in May and get back to me, I’ll be in the barber shop.
My point wasn't about the quality of ideas or conversation, I'm new to the thread but it seems worthwhile otherwise wouldn't read or post.
Just meant its a casual conversation not analytical breakdown. When i asked for thoughts on Airbnb IPO I wasn't expecting an EPS price projection, but taking the general temperature does anyone even look or cares about the numbers and if those thoughts differ from those loving the story or concept.

Reaction Score

My two cents........

the market shakes out weak hands you’re right, but market timing is impossible. Time in the market has proven to be more successful. For example, Tesla is up 615 percent in 2020. If you were up 100 percent, and the stock sold off 10 percent, and you sold because you thought you had to get out to keep your gains, you had a large opportunity cost. Market timing vs market time in.

Reaction Score
NIO offering up 60,000 million additional shares.

That's a lot of shares. Not sure they have that many to offer up. Going back to zero with that many coming online.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
1607653128536.png

Reaction Score
My point wasn't about the quality of ideas or conversation, I'm new to the thread but it seems worthwhile otherwise wouldn't read or post.
Just meant its a casual conversation not analytical breakdown. When i asked for thoughts on Airbnb IPO I wasn't expecting an EPS price projection, but taking the general temperature does anyone even look or cares about the numbers and if those thoughts differ from those loving the story or concept.
No problem, sorry for being sensitive. This is an unprecedented market for sure, as momentum does seem to trump earnings and fundamentals at times. But I think collectively we do have a good group of investors in here. If someone here throws out a name they believe in that I don’t know, I will absolutely research it.

Reaction Score
the market shakes out weak hands you’re right, but market timing is impossible. Time in the market has proven to be more successful. For example, Tesla is up 615 percent in 2020. If you were up 100 percent, and the stock sold off 10 percent, and you sold because you thought you had to get out to keep your gains, you had a large opportunity cost. Market timing vs market time in.

Totally agree with your point on market timing.

Reaction Score
Here's other stocks/ options I've bought recently

RMG
STPK
THCB
TPGY
IMMP
TRCH
LXRX
FIII

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Any suggestions on the best place to park money, short term? I'm down close to 10% just in the past week or two, but still up 40% just in the past couple month (COVID tech stocks). I can't afford to weather the coming storm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom