OT: Stock trading | Page 56 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
What are everyone's thoughts on the cruise line stocks? NCLH for example is around $25-26 a share, with very little recovery in it's stock price (in the 50s as recently as February) and they still are holding almost 2.5B in cash. Feel like the vaccine news has propped up a lot of the travel stocks (specifically hotels, DIS, etc) but hasn't gotten these stocks anywhere near where they were.

Reaction Score
What are everyone's thoughts on the cruise line stocks? NCLH for example is around $25-26 a share, with very little recovery in it's stock price (in the 50s as recently as February) and they still are holding almost 2.5B in cash. Feel like the vaccine news has propped up a lot of the travel stocks (specifically hotels, DIS, etc) but hasn't gotten these stocks anywhere near where they were.
I have CCL only. Have been in and out since 11 but back to stay now since 18. I think they have room to run. I also got into Disney recently. I think once a good number of people get vaccinated we’ll see these pop again.

Reaction Score
Not touching it. Would only consider put options.
Why? It certainly has the feel of a 'public' stock that'll keep making news regardless. Not sure why they were losing money last year though, seems like you could run that thing with minimal operating costs. If they've improved their lean-ness via pandemic cutbacks I could see them benefitting from a travel business bounce and being in the news for it a lot. But no idea if they can/will actually be profitable (and if it matters?!).

Reaction Score
I have CCL only. Have been in and out since 11 but back to stay now since 18. I think they have room to run. I also got into Disney recently. I think once a good number of people get vaccinated we’ll see these pop again.
I just dropped out of Disney since they have come back and then some already and feel like they're at a spot where they'll grow, but fairly slowly for a while. We'll see though.

Reaction Score
I just dropped out of Disney since they have come back and then some already and feel like they're at a spot where they'll grow, but fairly slowly for a while. We'll see though.
I recently got into Disney and 5 other recovery names to hedge against all my tech. But seeing how TSLA and my other tech is still moving, I’m wondering if it was the right move. Disney plus has been huge, have to figure when the theme park business gets rolling again, DIS can really explode but who knows?

Reaction Score
I recently got into Disney and 5 other recovery names to hedge against all my tech. But seeing how TSLA and my other tech is still moving, I’m wondering if it was the right move. Disney plus has been huge, have to figure when the theme park business gets rolling again, DIS can really explode but who knows?
TSLA is insane. I have way too much of my portfolio in it, but that's because of it's huge gains. I do think Disney+ is going to be a huge winner, but not sure how much upside the stock price still has considering the huge losses on the ESPN / theme park / cruises side.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
TSLA is insane. I have way too much of my portfolio in it, but that's because of it's huge gains. I do think Disney+ is going to be a huge winner, but not sure how much upside the stock price still has considering the huge losses on the ESPN / theme park / cruises side.
Same. I bought a bit of TSLA pre-split and am holding against my own rule of taking profits when a stock runs up around 80%. Right now it's +140% since I bought...

.animated_1607373155702_142451589006178.gif

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Not just theme parks, but cruises and also ESPN. ESPN is going to do well once sports is really back. Disney + has been a winner so far. Having Marvel and Star Wars is pretty huge.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Why? It certainly has the feel of a 'public' stock that'll keep making news regardless. Not sure why they were losing money last year though, seems like you could run that thing with minimal operating costs. If they've improved their lean-ness via pandemic cutbacks I could see them benefitting from a travel business bounce and being in the news for it a lot. But no idea if they can/will actually be profitable (and if it matters?!).
Out of all the newish, gig/sharing, disruptive companies out there, I still haven't used Airbnb, and I don't like to invest in companies that I do not patronize. I looked into it a few times for trips, and it didn't seem to save me much money, and seemed less convenient than a traditional hotel booking or beach rental. Additionally, I do not know too many people who use Airbnb. I have used the likes of Uber, Uber Eats, Door Dash, Dine In CT, Poshmark, Robin Hood, PayPal, Venmo, and I'm sure a few others I can't recall at the moment, but even those wouldn't be ideas I would invest in (expect PayPal, which I am on HEAVY). I also think the IPO will considerably over value them.

Reaction Score
Same. I bought a bit of TSLA pre-split and am holding against my own rule of taking profits when a stock runs up around 80%. Right now it's +140% since I bought...

View attachment 62137
Although it’s one of my top 3 holdings, I’m sick over TSLA, ha. I seriously considered buying a good amount in March but my trader friend said to stay away, that it was too volatile. Buying then would have been life changing. Have been in and out of it throughout and made good $ off it but I’m sure a lot of people are rich off it by now. It helped me get back to my all time high today though, something I thought would take forever a month ago when tech was getting crushed. Amazing stock and story, will be exciting to watch this story the next 10 to 20 years.

Reaction Score
I love reading the due diligence here zero factual data all on feelings and guesses. Charts, who needs em!

Reaction Score
I love reading the due diligence here zero factual data all on feelings and guesses. Charts, who needs em!
I think you’re being really presumptuous here. I subscribe to stockcharts.com, IBD and CNBC Pro, as well as follow and talk to a number of successful traders. I doubt most of us on this board with good gains are just throwing darts at a board and getting lucky. Because of the opportunity in March this year has been an exceptional year but also volatile. Plenty of due diligence, chart work and discipline is necessary.

Reaction Score
To echo tentoes, I'm using this to get ideas and then go do a whole bunch of research. I never ever buy on a whim with any significant money. I might buy a lottery ticket for 3k or something, but that's a rarity.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm up 51% this year. Haven't read a chart yet. Maybe I should start - then I'd be around 100%. Not everyone here is a money manager with a fiduciary duty - some of us are just gambling.

Reaction Score
I'm up 51% this year. Haven't read a chart yet. Maybe I should start - then I'd be around 100%
To echo tentoes, I'm using this to get ideas and then go do a whole bunch of research. I never ever buy on a whim with any significant money. I might buy a lottery ticket for 3k or something, but that's a rarity.
i haven’t read charts much lately but tracking things like 50 day moving averages is helpful to spot breakout opportunities and dump stocks with bad fundamentals. IBD also has a list of stocks funds are buying and ones about to break out. That’s probably the best $20 I spend each month. If you guys are on Twitter, Marty Chargin is worth a follow as he does a lot of good chart work.

I’m the same, I’ve taken chances on a lot of stocks between 15-35 that have broken out and will usually buy just 50 shares to start. Thanks to the board I took a chance on LAZR Friday and it was up another 10 today! I started this thread to share ideas and what’s working. I have no interest in bragging or reading posts where people just brag about their gains. Posting gains and successful strategies for me is only to share what has worked and not worked.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
i haven’t read charts much lately but tracking things like 50 day moving averages is helpful to spot breakout opportunities and dump stocks with bad fundamentals. IBD also has a list of stocks funds are buying and ones about to break out. That’s probably the best $20 I spend each month. If you guys are on Twitter, Marty Chargin is worth a follow as he does a lot of good chart work.

I’m the same, I’ve taken chances on a lot of stocks between 15-35 that have broken out and will usually buy just 50 shares to start. Thanks to the board I took a chance on LAZR Friday and it was up another 10 today! I started this thread to share ideas and what’s working. I have no interest in bragging or reading posts where people just brag about their gains. Posting gains and successful strategies for me is only to share what has worked and not worked.
That was me that mentioned LAZR. Nice work! I'm up about 150% on that since I got in. I found that stock through one of my methods that doesn't include charts - by listening to friends of mine who are more involved in the market and probably do read charts. I like to ride the coat tails of smart and accomplished investors that I personally know. Some of you here qualify. I also like combing boards like this for picks, and then reading into them. I also really just like predicting societal trends and keeping an eye on how people are spending their money and then betting on it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any of you crypto guys buy into HBAR?
Hbar is a great project.
We bought into it pretty early and then they decided to have a "phased" roll out of instead of moving forward 100% and the initial offering wound up coming out at less then one tenth of where it should have.
So the positive is that it still has a strong move to the upside down the road and the negative is when will that happen?- my thoughts are that unless they change the timing of rolling out their products it could move pretty slowly over the next year or so- but when major announcements are made it will dramatically effect the price to upside. Good long term and a great project- but hard to buy right now and questions on timing.

Reaction Score
@tentoes4rings there is 56 pages to back me up. @XLCenterFan is right - its just gambling.

I am just trying to point out that the analysis is way off to what is actually happening. If you like combing boards for picks and research - look at future contracts to add with your analysis. Its another method to test your thesis.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
@tentoes4rings there is 56 pages to back me up. @XLCenterFan is right - its just gambling.

I am just trying to point out that the analysis is way off to what is actually happening. If you like combing boards for picks and research - look at future contracts to add with your analysis. Its another method to test your thesis.

I just load up on mostly dividend aristocrats or future aristocrats and SWAN

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Although it’s one of my top 3 holdings, I’m sick over TSLA, ha. I seriously considered buying a good amount in March but my trader friend said to stay away, that it was too volatile. Buying then would have been life changing. Have been in and out of it throughout and made good $ off it but I’m sure a lot of people are rich off it by now. It helped me get back to my all time high today though, something I thought would take forever a month ago when tech was getting crushed. Amazing stock and story, will be exciting to watch this story the next 10 to 20 years.
Yeah Elon is a mad scientist.

I bought BLNK a year ago at around $2. And sold in June putting that in my "bad beat" category. Lol. I've pared back my holdings a bit but have held a select few for the long haul and added on dips. TSLA, NVDIA, AAPL, MSFT, BA, ROKU.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I have positions starting so low on HPE, PFE, and UNM i probsvly won’t be able to sell them now until the next disaster lol

I’m only saying it cause it’s a taxable account

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom