OT: Juwan Durham update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Juwan Durham update

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

“This isn’t the best fit for me,” he said of his time in Storrs. “I don’t know if I was being utilized the right way all the time. It was like I had a short leash.”

"Short leash" - I get it, Brimah and Purvis made repeated errors and seemed to keep on playing. However, good thing Juwan never got introduced to what a short leash is really like from James Calhoun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
But cheif with all those mistakes they were still 20 times better tgan Durham

Reaction Score
I agree that Durham wasn't very good last year. Too slow and weak and rusty from the injuries. And he had some chances and never showed much. And i definitely don't agree with him voicing these opinions publicly.

But this is 3 players leaving, at least in some part, because they dont think the staff was utilizing them properly. And 2 of them (Enoch and Durham) who we all agreed had a ton of potential and barely showed anything at all here.

Is it possible that there is some truth to what they are saying? Does it seem like the staff did a very good job utilizing their skillsets? Enoch and Durham both had plenty of opportunities, and neither made the most of them. But I don't think the coaches are completely blameless here either.

I can't really blame either one for having doubts about their ability to develop here.

Always have to find a way to stick up for someone other than the coaching staff? Seriously these kids deserved nothing more than what they got, not one of them. Vance played a lot, it wasn't enough. Enoch got more time than he would have at any other major program, not happy. This guy couldn't push a chair underneath the basket and is complaining? Please these kids all suck and I hope they get more splinters wherever they surface, every one of them!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Always have to find a way to stick up for someone other than the coaching staff? Seriously these kids deserved nothing more than what they got, not one of them. Vance played a lot, it wasn't enough. Enoch got more time than he would have at any other major program, not happy. This guy couldn't push a chair underneath the basket and is complaining? Please these kids all suck and I hope they get more splinters wherever they surface, every one of them!
No safe zones set up by KO.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Juwan Durham to visit Notre Dame as part of transfer plan

Coming out of high school, Durham figured he was a good fit for Connecticut. He was a versatile big man who would dig in and defend. He could play with his back to the basket or facing it. He could put the ball on the floor. He could score. He could rebound.

Then he did very little of any of that last season.

Durham played in 28 games with no starts. He averaged 1.6 points and 1.5 rebounds in 8.3 minutes. He shot 37.5 percent from the free throw line with nine blocked shots and 27 fouls. He never could figure out his role before ultimately realizing he didn’t have one.

“This isn’t the best fit for me,” he said of his time in Storrs. “I don’t know if I was being utilized the right way all the time. It was like I had a short leash.”
So the kid made out of spaghetti coming off two ACL playing behind two seniors wanted more minutes. Uhhhhh k. Maybe it's on KO for not communicating how he'd be used?

Reaction Score
None of this was about the minutes. If all of those kids put up the same points in the same minutes at a school that made it to the elite 8, i doubt any of them would be transferring. These kids were not truely committed to Uconn, they were only a few toes in. They are all right that none of them was a good fit. And KO took responsibility saying he needs to do a better job at finding kids that are a good fit. If they cant hang in there with the team during bad times, we dont want them around for the good times.

I really liked Durham as a prospect coming in and I still think he has potential from a skills standpoint. But if his frame of mind and attitude arent adjusted quickly, he's going to see all his opportunities pass him by. I cant say the same for Vance and Enoch. They both have certain skill sets but I think they are limited in potential. For Durham I really thought the sky was the limit,but i assumed with him being at Uconn he'd have a good head on his shoulders and work hard. For his sake I hope that changes for him in the future.

Reaction Score
None of this was about the minutes. If all of those kids put up the same points in the same minutes at a school that made it to the elite 8, i doubt any of them would be transferring. These kids were not truely committed to UConn, they were only a few toes in. They are all right that none of them was a good fit. And KO took responsibility saying he needs to do a better job at finding kids that are a good fit. If they cant hang in there with the team during bad times, we dont want them around for the good times.

I really liked Durham as a prospect coming in and I still think he has potential from a skills standpoint. But if his frame of mind and attitude arent adjusted quickly, he's going to see all his opportunities pass him by. I cant say the same for Vance and Enoch. They both have certain skill sets but I think they are limited in potential. For Durham I really thought the sky was the limit,but i assumed with him being at UConn he'd have a good head on his shoulders and work hard. For his sake I hope that changes for him in the future.

Of the 3, I think Vance Jackson is the only one who has a good future.

Reaction Score

I just think Vance is too slow footed for an NBA career. He cant stay in front of college 3s let alone NBA 3s. And he isnt elite at anything imo. If he steps it up and becomes a knock down 3 point shooter its possible someone picks him up in a Steve Novak type roll in the NBA, but thats his ceiling if you ask me. But yea I dont think he has the handle or the footspeed to compete. And NBA 4? thats not even a remote option for him, he doesnt work hard and isnt strong enough or athletic enough. If he had more of the things that i dont think he has, maybe with a tireless work ethic he could be like a Wilson Chandler.. But he doesnt have those tools imo.

I thought Durham was playing a little scared of injury whenever he did get on the court. If he can shake that from his mind AND actually avoid more injuries, I think he has the skill set to be a very very good player. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
I think all three will have good futures. Durham probably has the most talent and upside of the three if he can get and stay, healthy.

A lot goes into becoming a success. Enoch I fear is too slow on D to ever get minutes. What coach is going to trust him on the floor? Durham is just to rail thin to go low, and he is not going to be effective from the outside (if work ethic is a problem as rumored, then that is a big strike against him). Vance has a lot of moves in his arsenal, and I believe we only saw the beginnings of it. I didn't say anything about the NBA. I was talking about college success, and I think he will improve on D quite a bit. He's only a freshman. The only concern I have about Vance is that he will eventually need to alter that jumpshot. It is a little bit hinky.

Reaction Score
A lot goes into becoming a success. Enoch I fear is too slow on D to ever get minutes. What coach is going to trust him on the floor? Durham is just to rail thin to go low, and he is not going to be effective from the outside (if work ethic is a problem as rumored, then that is a big strike against him). Vance has a lot of moves in his arsenal, and I believe we only saw the beginnings of it. I didn't say anything about the NBA. I was talking about college success, and I think he will improve on D quite a bit. He's only a freshman. The only concern I have about Vance is that he will eventually need to alter that jumpshot. It is a little bit hinky.

I agree he can have some college success. Even for that though he has to improve. And if he and his dad take that same attitude he had at Uconn somewhere else, then that aint happening. I still question how much his defense can improve even on the college level though. I guess we shall see.

Reaction Score

Yeah Enoch sucks so bad that HOFer Rick Pitino decided to tie up a scholarship for 3 years with him. He must be unequivocally awful. And Durham is so clearly horrible that Mike Brey and other ACC coaches are interested. Cleary he is completely lazy and will never get better.

Everyone else always finds a way to defend KO and rip the players so at least I'm trying to add balance! And I wasn't blaming the coaches mau. I fully acknowledged Durhams flaws.

So we have Enoch, Durham, and VJ leaving because they don't see this as a great place to develop. And you could add Brimah and Facey as two guys who showed potential but never really came close to maximizing it. And you and so many posters are so quick to just blame them. Durham, Enoch, Jackson, Brimah. They all stink right? Nobody was raving about the Durham signing and excited Enoch's potential.

That's 5 guys. 5 different players. 3 different classes.

What is the only constant in all of this? KO and the coaches. But no, they certainly couldn't have anything to do with it. come on.

Clearly both parties deserve blame in all of this. But so far all I see on this board is people ripping these kids and calling them lazy, soft etc.

Well that seems to be a theme with our players. Wonder whose job it is to correct that?

Reaction Score
Let's be real here......none of these guys that left has any chance to make it in the NBA. They may end up playing for money someday, but it won't be in the NBA.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Unreal lol. Kid legit had 2 bum knees and we took him. Sucked, we continued to play him. Season over, he was going to be a starter. Literally unreal.
Sucked but was going to be a starter the next year. Is this an indictment of the kid or the program?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Mau, you said these kids suck and you basically wish they never have bball success again. Why are you mad? If they suck and they just left your favorite team you should be ecstatic. 3 lousy players can now be replaced with 3 better players. That's what I call a party. Hoping they are never successful? C'mon man. BTW, 37% of undergrads transfer a least one time. Any of you dads had a kid transfer? I didn't think so.

pj

Reaction Score
They r not athletes, you don't see geno's girls poping out babies during the seasons

It's very important for female athletes to fit their pregnancies into the 3 month summer break.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, quality move. Tip of the hat to the guy that put that together.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think you are minimizing these players. Not sure why.

Enoch has an impressive offensive arsenal. He's got the body. Is he slow? Yes. So are most centers. If you run a defense that doesn't allow him to be pulled too far from the rim, he'll be ok. I think he's going to score 15 a game for Lousiville eventually and play adequate D.

Durham now has another year to heal and put on muscle. David Robinson was skinny too once, and Hakeem. I think Durham has atheticism, size except weight, and loads of skill. I think he's going to be a devastating college player in two years. He's the most likely NBA player of the three.

Vance is pretty good now. Main issue is desire to play D. Defense is less about skill and more about effort. He can score in lots of ways and will.

Reactions: pj

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was happy to read that Durham was finishing up his exams. Everything else is speculation & opinion, and we'll have more clarity about JD, SE, and VJ in about 20 months. Then again, I could be wrong.

pj

Reaction Score
Durham has the Ajou Deng skill set and mentality. Maybe he'll grow the intensity and commitment he needs, hope so, but don't mind that he's going to try to do it elsewhere. That might be good for all parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom