OT: Juwan Durham update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Juwan Durham update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed, as a millenial, I am disgusted by millenials. It is going to be impossible to elect a president in 30 years who didn't make a complete a__ out himself during his middle school/early high school years.
that's when facebook is really going to make its mark. even if it's gone by then the internet never forgets.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I mean, millenials are millenials.

On that note, one thing we are seeing (and this is something I will probably start a separate, super-long thread on in the middle of the summer) is the first generation of youth basketball players for whom social media played a role in their rises are heading to college. Today's recruits had exposure not just on a much larger stage with the proliferation of Twitter, Instagram, Vine etc., but for a much longer time. These kids had access to these platforms and have been using them to garner more attention since they were freshmen, maybe even middle schoolers; they are the first cohort of young players to have that experience. As a result, kids have been gaining this kind of individual notoriety for years, and I believe that's manifested in a lot more of them thinking about optimizing their own futures instead of fitting into a team concept. Thus, players are butting heads with coaches, and we're seeing amount of transfers grow almost exponentially the past few offseasons.

I'm probably off base on a bit of that, just a few thoughts.

Well yeah. You can make a lot of money playing basketball after college.

The culture shift may just kill the sport: but when you are a player and look around and see the coaches getting paid, the ADs getting paid, the media getting paid, TV execs getting paid...

I'd worry they weren't smart enough to be in college to priortize their teams over themselves.

The NCAA tournament pays me zero but a roster spot in the top international leagues pays 7 figures. Who would expect anyone to not try to balance themselves against the team.

Being a good soldier and being the 8th man on a Final Four team doesn't really come with a good ROI when compared against other options and opportunities.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agreed, as a millenial, I am disgusted by millenials. It is going to be impossible to elect a president in 30 years who didn't make a complete a__ out himself during his middle school/early high school years.

I'm pretty sure we broke the seal on caring about candidates making arses out of themselves.

Reaction Score
I think think this is a pretty good take. I hate your generation. Even though I'm sure I would have been the same if I grew up with the same technology.

To be honest I think I dislike generation cliche more, though I'll admit there is a 200% chance I am going to hate the next generation for all the same reasons the last one hates this one.

Nothing about Durham's decision to transfer makes sense and I maintain that there is more to it than what we're seeing. My suspicion would be that he just didn't really like going to school here for whatever reason.

But I'm willing to entertain the possibility that there were more than eight minutes per game for a kid of his talent to have on a sub .500 team. I assumed all along that he was being held back due to health reasons, but I really don't think it would have hurt anybody for him to play more. It's a noble thought to think that all minutes have to be earned, but here is a kid with an abundance of talent who at least seemed like he had an idea of how to play the game. If there was ever an argument to be made that that a kid simply needed reps, the true freshman coming off two ACL tears would be it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't buy into much of the generational stereotyping but from what I've seen from current HS kids it's like they're living in a completely different world. The biggest thing is they do not give a fffffffff about privacy. It's disheartening to say the least.

My senior year of HS, I did some volunteer work with one of my old 6th grade teachers. In a private conversation, she told me that teaching Gen Z was a completely different experience from teaching my cohort in so many ways. Basically, since these kids are going through all of their early childhood development with technology intimately involved in the process, they have a ridiculous amount of difficulty sitting still and paying attention in a classroom. They're used to instant gratification in all sectors of their life, and are much less willing to actually sit down and put work in so that they can master something. This was just after a six-year gap, mind you. It's probably gotten even worse since then.

Reaction Score
I met him in the football game. Durham was a very timid person, trying to hide behind Enoch n Diarra the whole time. He was never comfortable here. I just don't think that he had the killer instinct even if he can be a good player. Neither Ollie or Glen Miller could get him to study films or workout extra in the gym. Will he do better away from here? perhaps but he never put his best efforts at UCONN

Reaction Score
To be honest I think I dislike generation cliche more, though I'll admit there is a 200% chance I am going to hate the next generation for all the same reasons the last one hates this one.

Nothing about Durham's decision to transfer makes sense and I maintain that there is more to it than what we're seeing. My suspicion would be that he just didn't really like going to school here for whatever reason.

But I'm willing to entertain the possibility that there were more than eight minutes per game for a kid of his talent to have on a sub .500 team. I assumed all along that he was being held back due to health reasons, but I really don't think it would have hurt anybody for him to play more. It's a noble thought to think that all minutes have to be earned, but here is a kid with an abundance of talent who at least seemed like he had an idea of how to play the game. If there was ever an argument to be made that that a kid simply needed reps, the true freshman coming off two ACL tears would be it.

I have only recently started to feel old in the past year and that is solely because of the antipathy I have developed for young kids. Like I said, I can't even blame them as they are clearly a product of their environment. But they still suck.

He should have played more. 100%. His comments are disconcerting and perhaps he does not have the correct mentality.

Reaction Score
It is sad when a kid blame the UCONN system for his lack of effort or understanding of the game. Hearing Jackson n Durham the last 2 days convince me some of the staff was coddling recruits at the expense of the team

Reaction Score
My senior year of HS, I did some volunteer work with one of my old 6th grade teachers. In a private conversation, she told me that teaching Gen Z was a completely different experience from teaching my cohort in so many ways. Basically, since these kids are going through all of their early childhood development with technology intimately involved in the process, they have a ridiculous amount of difficulty sitting still and paying attention in a classroom. They're used to instant gratification in all sectors of their life, and are much less willing to actually sit down and put work in so that they can master something. This was just after a six-year gap, mind you. It's probably gotten even worse since then.

At the end of the day, I still think it's a "the more things change, the more they stay the same", type of deal. They're still kids and kids will always be similar. The difference is really going to be seen when they're adults. Probably not huge differences but some noticeable smaller ones. The biggest difference I've seen at my job is that everyone my age tells each other how much money they make. No one in Gen X or any of the leftover boomers would dare do that, and we've gotten "spoken to" about it when someone overheard.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, I still think it's a "the more things change, the more they stay the same", type of deal. They're still kids and kids will always be similar. The difference is really going to be seen when they're adults. Probably not huge differences but some noticeable smaller ones. The biggest difference I've seen at my job is that everyone my age tells each other how much money they make. No one in Gen X or any of the leftover boomers would dare do that, and we've gotten "spoken to" about it when someone overheard.

Gen 'X' is just a lot cooler about it.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I met him in the football game. Durham was a very timid person, trying to hide behind Enoch n Diarra the whole time. He was never comfortable here. I just don't think that he had the killer instinct even if he can be a good player. Neither Ollie or Glen Miller could get him to study films or workout extra in the gym. Will he do better away from here? perhaps but he never put his best efforts at UConn

Neither Ollie nor Miller could get him to do what every decent D-1 player should do, and 1000% what every D-1 player with real potential should do ... On their own.

So that's our coaching issue? Not being able to get JD to put in the necessary "extra" work? Sounds like it was on him ...

Reaction Score
Interesting and makes sense. Technology is amazing but I've always felt it will be the end of us.

Reaction Score
Interesting and makes sense. Technology is amazing but I've always felt it will be the end of us.
VR will be the fountain of youth. You'll plug in and live forever or until your server crashes

Reaction Score
Tacky as hell.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing he's referring to your comment about telling people how much they make.

I make $47,000 and drive a Dodge Stratus by the way. I'm in charge of 25 people!
lol if by tacky he means strategic then sure. if you don't know what your coworkers make it's a lot harder to negotiate your wage post-hire

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Well yeah. You can make a lot of money playing basketball after college.

The culture shift may just kill the sport: but when you are a player and look around and see the coaches getting paid, the ADs getting paid, the media getting paid, TV execs getting paid...

I'd worry they weren't smart enough to be in college to priortize their teams over themselves.

The NCAA tournament pays me zero but a roster spot in the top international leagues pays 7 figures. Who would expect anyone to not try to balance themselves against the team.

Being a good soldier and being the 8th man on a Final Four team doesn't really come with a good ROI when compared against other options and opportunities.

Kids have been using the game as a bastion of economic opportunity for years. The shift that I think has occurred lies in your use of the term "ROI" - my belief is that over the past ten or so years, families are on the whole digging much deeper and putting a lot more care into how to effectively monetize their kids. We're starting to see the gradual blurring of "basketball player" and "brand" - the Balls are an exaggerated example, but people all over are aspiring to the same thing on a much smaller scale.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I'm guessing he's referring to your comment about telling people how much they make.

I make $47,000 and drive a Dodge Stratus by the way. I'm in charge of 25 people!

YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT MY DODGE STRATUS THAT WAY!

Reaction Score
I buy the generational thing. On tos, there are some quotes from Caron butler talking about uconn and KO. He said "and you have to understand that [coach] Kevin Ollie has a championship pedigree. He played at a high level of NBA basketball. He just has a different type of approach to it. A lot of kids don’t accept constructive criticism".

One thing I've noticed on social media about the younger generations is that they love to be told me how amazing they are. Instagram is basically a "look at how great I am" ego driving app for these kids. They are so full of themselves and it's no wonder why when ever picture they post has comment after comment telling them how great they look, or how cool they are, or how awesome whatever stupid thing they did is. So many of them are so phony. Using filters and photoshop and tons of make up and "contouring". All just for attention and to be told how wonderful they are. It's a pretty disheartening view of society.

I read those comments from butler before I saw this thread. But after reading some of the generational comments, this is exactly what I thought of and makes me look at KO in a different light.

KO is old school and doesn't baby them and maybe these kids just can't take it. They're so used to be told how great they are.

At the same time there are plenty of hard ass coaches out there who are doing ok so who knows.

Either way the coaches need to put a great emphasis on finding the right kids for KOs coaching style. And not waiting until they get here to find out that they can't handle it.

Reaction Score
Neither Ollie nor Miller could get him to do what every decent D-1 player should do, and 1000% what every D-1 player with real potential should do ... On their own.

So that's our coaching issue? Not being able to get JD to put in the necessary "extra" work? Sounds like it was on him ...
All you need to know about him is he

All you need to know about him is that he miss two regular season games n one week of practice with the flu or viral infection. This is so weak, no one that takes pride in their job takes that much time off. Definitely not a 19 year old college athlete if they r truly dedicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom