OT: Juwan Durham update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Juwan Durham update

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What this sounds like is in this kid's eyes the 'me' (how I can best develop as a player) took priority over the team. For his sake I hope he grows out of this but this falls into a one strike and you're out category as far as I'm concerned. I don't see how KO can be faulted here.

Reaction Score
What this sounds like is in this kid's eyes the 'me' (how I can best develop as a player) took priority over the team. For his sake I hope he grows out of this but this falls into a one strike and you're out category as far as I'm concerned. I don't see how KO can be faulted here.

Not for this one.

Reaction Score
How about "thank you for keeping my scholarship open UConn, I loved my time here, but I think I could develop better elsewhere." What a moronic kid.

He will have played what, 40 minutes TOTAL of competitive basketball in 4 years after sitting out. Kid is doomed

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I said weeks ago that there was a reason Durham was dead to me compared to the other transfers.

Kid is the suck.

Told you he was charmin soft.

Soft as baby S * * *.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's quotes like these that make me wonder why people twist themselves into pretzels trying to somehow prove that Kevin Ollie is Frankenstein's monster and locking his team in the basement of Gampel without food and water for days at a time.

The reason the roster is this thin is because three kids wanted much larger roles right off the bat as true freshmen, and Ollie wasn't willing to give them to them. Or when he did (Vance), even that wasn't good enough.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
It's quotes like these that make me wonder why people twist themselves into pretzels trying to somehow prove that Kevin Ollie is Frankenstein's monster and locking his team in the basement of Gampel without food and water for days at a time.

The reason the roster is this thin is because three kids wanted much larger roles right off the bat as true freshmen, and Ollie wasn't willing to give them to them. Or when he did (Vance), even that wasn't good enough.

Exactly. And that was with season-ending injuries to starters. How many minutes do Juwan or Vance get if Diarra and Larrier aren't out for the year? Far less. So I will assume they transfer regardless. What else did they expect this past year? Vance got his and left... and Durham simply wasn't ready and left.

Very confusing when you try to understand the mentality of these kids.

Reaction Score
I agree that Durham wasn't very good last year. Too slow and weak and rusty from the injuries. And he had some chances and never showed much. And i definitely don't agree with him voicing these opinions publicly.

But this is 3 players leaving, at least in some part, because they dont think the staff was utilizing them properly. And 2 of them (Enoch and Durham) who we all agreed had a ton of potential and barely showed anything at all here.

Is it possible that there is some truth to what they are saying? Does it seem like the staff did a very good job utilizing their skillsets? Enoch and Durham both had plenty of opportunities, and neither made the most of them. But I don't think the coaches are completely blameless here either.

I can't really blame either one for having doubts about their ability to develop here.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Exactly. And that was with season-ending injuries to starters. How many minutes do Juwan or Vance get if Diarra and Larrier aren't out for the year? Far less. So I will assume they transfer regardless. What else did they expect this past year? Vance got his and left... and Durham simply wasn't ready and left.

Very confusing when you try to understand the mentality of these kids.

I mean, millenials are millenials.

On that note, one thing we are seeing (and this is something I will probably start a separate, super-long thread on in the middle of the summer) is the first generation of youth basketball players for whom social media played a role in their rises are heading to college. Today's recruits had exposure not just on a much larger stage with the proliferation of Twitter, Instagram, Vine etc., but for a much longer time. These kids had access to these platforms and have been using them to garner more attention since they were freshmen, maybe even middle schoolers; they are the first cohort of young players to have that experience. As a result, kids have been gaining this kind of individual notoriety for years, and I believe that's manifested in a lot more of them thinking about optimizing their own futures instead of fitting into a team concept. Thus, players are butting heads with coaches, and we're seeing amount of transfers grow almost exponentially the past few offseasons.

I'm probably off base on a bit of that, just a few thoughts.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Geno said it best!!! Durham more than likely would of never even seen the floor last year on any Top 25 team

Funny thing is Durham "liked" the tweet with that video in it. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
image.skreened-t-shirt.black.w460h520b3z1.jpg

Reaction Score

You don't know why they left.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You don't know why they left.

Do you?

When kids are going into this much detail about it, I'm inclined to think it's at least somewhat accurate. Not that Durham or any of the others will end up dropping the full story, but what the players say in these kinds of quotes should be able to shed some light on why they left.

Reaction Score
I mean, millenials are millenials.

On that note, one thing we are seeing (and this is something I will probably start a separate, super-long thread on in the middle of the summer) is the first generation of youth basketball players for whom social media played a role in their rises are heading to college. Today's recruits had exposure not just on a much larger stage with the proliferation of Twitter, Instagram, Vine etc., but for a much longer time. These kids had access to these platforms and have been using them to garner more attention since they were freshmen, maybe even middle schoolers; they are the first cohort of young players to have that experience. As a result, kids have been gaining this kind of individual notoriety for years, and I believe that's manifested in a lot more of them thinking about optimizing their own futures instead of fitting into a team concept. Thus, players are butting heads with coaches, and we're seeing amount of transfers grow almost exponentially the past few offseasons.

I'm probably off base on a bit of that, just a few thoughts.

I think think this is a pretty good take. I hate your generation. Even though I'm sure I would have been the same if I grew up with the same technology.

Reaction Score
I think think this is a pretty good take. I hate your generation. Even though I'm sure I would have been the same if I grew up with the same technology.
Old millenials and new millenials are just as different as Gen X and millenials. My coworker was ragging on millenials one time so I asked how old he was. Turns out he was a millenial and had no idea.

Not to mention most kids in HS now are Gen Z

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To be honest or realistic, if the injury bug didn't hit the team, Durham might not have even sniffed the court
Kids will be kids and it is unfortunate but those words may come to bite him.
All those posters who thought it was KO who drove him away - what do you think now?
It sounds like VJ's old man wrote this for Durham

Reaction Score
Geno said it best!!! Durham more than likely would of never even seen the floor last year on any Top 25 team

Great that you pulled this out Hash. This guy just says it like it is...how could you not love him!? Unfortunately, not enough coaches out there today are like him. They accept the snowflakes as they are and don't melt them in their place by turning up the heat. I'm glad KO appears to have done just that!

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Old millenials and new millenials are just as different as Gen X and millenials. My coworker was ragging on millenials one time so I asked how old he was. Turns out he was a millenial and had no idea.

Wait until Gen Z enters the real world. Older people are going to love millenials all of a sudden.

Reaction Score
Do you?

When kids are going into this much detail about it, I'm inclined to think it's at least somewhat accurate. Not that Durham or any of the others will end up dropping the full story, but what the players say in these kinds of quotes should be able to shed some light on why they left.
I know it's more complicated than just playing time.

Reaction Score

Agreed, as a millenial, I am disgusted by millenials. It is going to be impossible to elect a president in 30 years who didn't make a complete a__ out himself during his middle school/early high school years.

Reaction Score
Wait until Gen Z enters the real world. Older people are going to love millenials all of a sudden.

I don't buy into much of the generational stereotyping but from what I've seen from current HS kids it's like they're living in a completely different world. The biggest thing is they do not give a fffffffff about privacy. It's disheartening to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom