Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread | Page 45 | The Boneyard

Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thing is, it went 500 in the regular season. I think Jim Mora is doing something special. People should climb on board now.. It’s going to be a great ride.
No doubt. It is amazing what the right coach can accomplish

Reaction Score
God their board is depressing. Everything is about NIL/bags of money, like this is all that matters. Makes me really appreciate Hurley and UConn administration, even though everything isn’t perfect across athletic programs now.
What else to they have to talk about? Their on court/field success?:rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
God their board is depressing. Everything is about NIL/bags of money, like this is all that matters. Makes me really appreciate Hurley and UConn administration, even though everything isn’t perfect across athletic programs now.

Might be a good time to try and schedule recurring games, but wouldn’t do just basketball as it won’t help us and may hurt our rankings given state of their program. But if we could leverage basketball with football, and men’s and women’s soccer and lacrosse, might make sense
I have noticed this as well and some other boards. The narrative seems to be that they “can’t get recruits because we don’t have NIL bags of money.” I know that’s just the fans and not the athletic department, but it amazes me how much that is a reoccurring theme of people who feel that they are not recruiting successfully.

Dave Benedict has his faults, but he has made two great hires in Dan Hurley, and Jim Mora. Perhaps, equally importantly, though, the athletic department has established an intelligent, “legal” and productive way of managing and developing. NIL money. That’s not a little thing.

Reaction Score
What else to they have to talk about? Their on court/field success?:rolleyes:
The best/saddest post I saw over there recently was something along the lines of “we are in the dumps with basketball, we still haven’t gotten and probably never will get back to the Pasqueloni years with football, and these days we can’t even lean on lacrosse”

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The best/saddest post I saw over there recently was something along the lines of “we are in the dumps with basketball, we still haven’t gotten and probably never will get back to the Pasqueloni years with football, and these days we can’t even lean on lacrosse”
Spongebob Squarepants Worlds Smallest Violin GIF

Reaction Score
I have noticed this as well and some other boards. The narrative seems to be that they “can’t get recruits because we don’t have NIL bags of money.” I know that’s just the fans and not the athletic department, but it amazes me how much that is a reoccurring theme of people who feel that they are not recruiting successfully.

Dave Benedict has his faults, but he has made two great hires in Dan Hurley, and Jim Mora. Perhaps, equally importantly, though, the athletic department has established an intelligent, “legal” and productive way of managing and developing. NIL money. That’s not a little thing.
Dave has ensured that Cavanaugh and Penders remain in the stable. That's a big deal.

Between Cavanaugh/Penders/Mora/Hurley and Geno, we legitimately have some of the Top 5-15 coaches in their respective sports.

Do any other schools have that comparable stable of coaches across that many sports?

Reaction Score

I honestly don’t think Dave has any faults/weaknesses. He’s done a helluva job. Right now his only fault is not getting us into a power football conference and I’m fully confident he’s working on it.

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t think Dave has any faults/weaknesses. He’s done a helluva job. Right now his only fault is not getting us into a power football conference and I’m fully confident he’s working on it.
I was told by a former booster that he did a poor job on the new ice rink. Some poor seating, and too small for the future. As long as they had to bond, it should have been done right according to him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was told by a former booster that he did a poor job on the new ice rink. Some poor seating, and too small for the future. As long as they had to bond, it should have been done right according to him.
On some levels, he’s not wrong. Toscano is undersized. But State of Connecticut projects have to pay a premium for labor and that limited the scope of the project within the approved budget. Faced with a choice of adding more seats, or building a first class amenities for the hockey teams, Benedict chose the latter. In my opinion it was the right decision, and I fully expect that the barn will follow the Gampel model and get increases to you capacity within the next few years.

For what it’s worth, that doesn’t mean that I agree with every decision made. The student deck is just dumb on a lot of levels. It is a square cinderblock lump on one end of the arena that created obstructed view seats. The ice level lounge, while appealing in concept, probably would’ve been better served by adding capacity instead. Still, it is a first barn, but for the current capacity issue and getting it built was no small feat.

Reaction Score
On some levels, he’s not wrong. Toscano is undersized. But State of Connecticut projects have to pay a premium for labor and that limited the scope of the project within the approved budget. Faced with a choice of adding more seats, or building a first class amenities for the hockey teams, Benedict chose the latter. In my opinion it was the right decision, and I fully expect that the barn will follow the Gampel model and get increases to you capacity within the next few years.

For what it’s worth, that doesn’t mean that I agree with every decision made. The student deck is just dumb on a lot of levels. It is a square cinderblock lump on one end of the arena that created obstructed view seats. The ice level lounge, while appealing in concept, probably would’ve been better served by adding capacity instead. Still, it is a first barn, but for the current capacity issue and getting it built was no small feat.
The greater point is we got a nice facility done. Nothing is perfect. CT is a difficult place to get things done.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not the most glowing exit interview from Jesse Edwards, one of Syracuse best players this decade:

Isn't Edwards Dutch and here on a student visa?

With the recent Sunoco/Sanogo deal, I'm lost on what the rules on regarding foreign visa holders earning $ via NIL.

Reaction Score
syracuse is absolutely blowing it.

on a side note, i actually really like jesse edwards' game. looking forward to actually being able to root for him. kriisa is an interesting piece for west virginia, too.

Reaction Score
syracuse is absolutely blowing it.

on a side note, i actually really like jesse edwards' game. looking forward to actually being able to root for him. kriisa is an interesting piece for west virginia, too.
I like the entire West Virginia haul:

• Jesse Edwards 6’11 230 GR from Syracuse, 14.5p, 10.3r, 1.6a, 1.4s, 2.7b, 59.2 fg%, 32.6 mpg. One of the best bigs in the NCAA.
  • Kerr Kriisa 6’3 180 SR from Arizona, 9.9p, 2.4r, 5.1a, 0.6s, 36.6 3p%, 31.3 mpg. Creative, elite vision and a very good spacer.
  • Jose Perez 6’5 220 GR from Manhattan, 18.9p, 4.5a, 39.9 fg%, 25.9 3p%, 7.6 fta. Physical facilitator from the elbow.
  • Omar Silverio 6’3 200 GR from Manhattan via Hofstra, 10.9p, 3.3r, 1.1s, 35.8 3p% in 25.9 mpg. Nice spacer off the bench.
They might not even stop there. Iowa State's Caleb Grill is visiting West Virginia too (9.5p, 4.0r, 1.2s, 36.8 3p%).

But yeah, Edwards was one of those Syracuse guys who always played well whenever I watched them and he seems like a good kid. Glad to see him out of that dump.

Reaction Score
I like the entire West Virginia haul:

• Jesse Edwards 6’11 230 GR from Syracuse, 14.5p, 10.3r, 1.6a, 1.4s, 2.7b, 59.2 fg%, 32.6 mpg. One of the best bigs in the NCAA.
  • Kerr Kriisa 6’3 180 SR from Arizona, 9.9p, 2.4r, 5.1a, 0.6s, 36.6 3p%, 31.3 mpg. Creative, elite vision and a very good spacer.
  • Jose Perez 6’5 220 GR from Manhattan, 18.9p, 4.5a, 39.9 fg%, 25.9 3p%, 7.6 fta. Physical facilitator from the elbow.
  • Omar Silverio 6’3 200 GR from Manhattan via Hofstra, 10.9p, 3.3r, 1.1s, 35.8 3p% in 25.9 mpg. Nice spacer off the bench.
They might not even stop there. Iowa State's Caleb Grill is visiting West Virginia too (9.5p, 4.0r, 1.2s, 36.8 3p%).

But yeah, Edwards was one of those Syracuse guys who always played well whenever I watched them and he seems like a good kid. Glad to see him out of that dump.
and @ elmcityboy - I always thought Edwards was good productive player myself. Mintz is a good player too, even though he is at the start of this 45 page thread with his face slap of Doug Edert which to this day that whole fight/bruhaha makes me laugh out loud.

It's not the players on Syracuse who draw our ire or coach Adrian Autry, who seems like a great guy, but I think it's their fanbase and Jim Boeheim. I don't mind Boeheim since he is a good friend of Calhoun, but that fanbase is, ugh. I like that they are passionate, which is great, but some of the stuff they say and their attitude is beyond cringe.

Reaction Score
Isn't Edwards Dutch and here on a student visa?

With the recent Sunoco/Sanogo deal, I'm lost on what the rules on regarding foreign visa holders earning $ via NIL.

I believe that the current workaround is for the business dealings to be done outside of the USA, which is why Sanogo's video was filmed in the Bahamas. It does probably make it more difficult for local businesses to do it though.

Reaction Score
Dave has ensured that Cavanaugh and Penders remain in the stable. That's a big deal.

Between Cavanaugh/Penders/Mora/Hurley and Geno, we legitimately have some of the Top 5-15 coaches in their respective sports.

Do any other schools have that comparable stable of coaches across that many sports?
I am totally all in on Dave Benedict. He’s done an awesome job and will help elevate our football program along with Jim Mora of course!!

Reaction Score
and @ elmcityboy - I always thought Edwards was good productive player myself. Mintz is a good player too, even though he is at the start of this 45 page thread with his face slap of Doug Edert which to this day that whole fight/bruhaha makes me laugh out loud.

It's not the players on Syracuse who draw our ire or coach Adrian Autry, who seems like a great guy, but I think it's their fanbase and Jim Boeheim. I don't mind Boeheim since he is a good friend of Calhoun, but that fanbase is, ugh. I like that they are passionate, which is great, but some of the stuff they say and their attitude is beyond cringe.
If you read their board, you'd also think that Syracuse is part of the ivy league rather than being a perfectly fine (average) institution of higher learning. In the real world, I'd never presume that a person is smarter because they went to Syracuse, UConn, UMass, Penn State..... They're all perfectly fine schools with super smart to super average graduates.

Reaction Score

Spot on about their PeeCee like fan base. It’s not all of their fans, just the few envious childlike ones. Seems not to be the case with other current or past BE schools. Funny how they are all watching us when we lose and seem to disappear when we win :)

Reaction Score
Not the most glowing exit interview from Jesse Edwards, one of Syracuse best players this decade:

What point is he trying to make here? That cuse isn’t all in on NIL? The way it’s worded is confusing me a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom