Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread | Page 47 | The Boneyard

Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
An inadequate facility doesn't pass muster by being "nice". DB blew it on that task and he now knows it via the flood of complaints he has been receiving. He's not perfect in any sense of the word, neither is DH, neither are you or I.
DB has no faults or weaknesses but then you say nothing is perfect - can't have it both ways.
The new rink is too small capacity wise and not adequate at all for Hockey East mens hockey
1681780462664.png

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don't care one iota either way about UConn sports outside of men's hoops and football but the hockey arena is a patently absurd waste of money... I'd argue the entire venture into hockey east was as well given were not exactly swimming in TV revenue...
the Hockey team is a way more realistic endeavor than football. That albatross almost took down our entire athletics program until we saw the light.

That being said I’m a fan of Mora.

Reaction Score
That’s a ridiculous take. The politics in CT are a nightmare for an AD. AD Dave keeps getting EVERYTHING done. The hockey barn is too small, but expandable. It will probably expand before long. For now, he’s got a venue that will produce a gaudy winning record. Playing there is horrifying.
How is it expandable? Can they just knock down walls and extend the roof? Maybe the plan is to make it the women's hockey home once we start getting those big bags of cash from the B1G and build a new men's rink.

Reaction Score
As long as the athletic dept can do this without soaking tax payers for more money that is fine. UCONN really needs to figure out a way to get to P5 or get out of football and let hoops support the athletoc dept. If they want to expand the rink get it done with donations.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
the Hockey team is a way more realistic endeavor than football. That albatross almost took down our entire athletics program until we saw the light.

That being said I’m a fan of Mora.

It's not the football programs fault that Kevin Ollie went rogue and we became a meddling hoop program for years.

Reaction Score
As long as the athletic dept can do this without soaking tax payers for more money that is fine. UCONN really needs to figure out a way to get to P5 or get out of football and let hoops support the athletoc dept. If they want to expand the rink get it done with donations.
Let me see if I got what you just said. Drop Football for Hockey....OK....Sure!!!!

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Syracuse recruited Chance Westry and JJ Starling hard coming out of high school. Funny how quickly they committed to Autry - speaks volumes about where Boeheim stood with recruits.

Reaction Score
Syracuse recruited Chance Westry and JJ Starling hard coming out of high school. Funny how quickly they committed to Autry - speaks volumes about where Boeheim stood with recruits.
Some were smart enough to know that perfecting an obsolete zone defense was not the way to the NBA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is it expandable? Can they just knock down walls and extend the roof? Maybe the plan is to make it the women's hockey home once we start getting those big bags of cash from the B1G and build a new men's rink.
There is room for more seats in the existing structure. Just like Gampel was “expanded without knocking down the walls are extending the roof.

Reaction Score
There is room for more seats in the existing structure. Just like Gampel was “expanded without knocking down the walls are extending the roof.
I thought with Gampel they just crammed more seats in where they hadn't planned on having seats. Adding seats to the hockey rink later doesn't sound like expansion. It just sounds like adding seats later to finish the job.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Expanding GP was relatively easy. They just put seats in the 4 empty corners. They didn't really change anything else (significantly anyhow)

Reaction Score
It's not the football programs fault that Kevin Ollie went rogue and we became a meddling hoop program for years.
That’s the most pathetic take I’ve seen on this board in a while. Football (or football fans) have no business pointing fingers at any other program.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That’s the most pathetic take I’ve seen on this board in a while. Football (or football fans) have no business pointing fingers at any other program.

I didn't point any fingers. @August_West blamed UConn football for UConn basketball's struggles (existence?) in the AAC.

UConn hoop did enough on their own merit to suck.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I didn't point any fingers. @August_West blamed UConn football for UConn basketball's struggles (existence?) in the AAC.

No I did not. I said entire athletics program. But it’s ok. We saw it and corrected it and did the right thing. I root for their success

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

This is revisionist history. When we got left behind in favor of Louisville, the basketball program was still in good shape and the football team's lack of success is what distinguished us from Louisville. Football put us in the AAC, not basketball.

The important thing is that Syracuse sucks and that Danny and Andrew Hurley together have twice as many titles as Syracuse does.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No I did not. I said entire athletics program. But it’s ok. We saw it and corrected it and did the right thing. I root for their success

Alright, forgive me for thinking you were referring to men's hoops and not women's softball. Good grief.

This is revisionist history. When we got left behind in favor of Louisville, the basketball program was still in good shape and the football team's lack of success is what distinguished us from Louisville. Football put us in the AAC, not basketball.

The important thing is that Syracuse sucks and that Danny and Andrew Hurley together have twice as many titles as Syracuse does.

How is it revisionist history? We weren't "put" anywhere. The Catholic schools formed their own league and we were left in the "Big East" which was the same entity that became the AAC.

Football wasn't in such bad shape at the time of the Louisville decision either - we were in the tail end of consecutive 5-7 seasons and had beaten a ranked Louisville team at their place a few days before the decision was made. Louisville had the better program and that's obviously why they were selected and thus why we remained in the AAC.

KO tanked the hoop program way more than the AAC did. I'm happy to be back in the Big East but whether we had an FBS program or not, this league was always a fallback destination to the ACC (or any other P5), whether it was a couple years or ten years ago it doesn't change where we ended up.

Reaction Score
Can we keep this thread to Syracuse bashing? Some of you should really take a season off.
Good point. The important takeaway is that UCONN has a highly ranked and competitive hockey program with brand new state ofthe art facilities because that's what great university athletic departments in the Northeast do. Imagine being stuck in the frozen tundra of the polluted cesspool known as onondaga lake and you don't even play hockey. Syracuse sucks.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Alright, forgive me for thinking you were referring to men's hoops and not women's softball. Good grief.

How is it revisionist history? We weren't "put" anywhere. The Catholic schools formed their own league and we were left in the "Big East" which was the same entity that became the AAC.

Football wasn't in such bad shape at the time of the Louisville decision either - we were in the tail end of consecutive 5-7 seasons and had beaten a ranked Louisville team at their place a few days before the decision was made. Louisville had the better program and that's obviously why they were selected and thus why we remained in the AAC.

KO tanked the hoop program way more than the AAC did. I'm happy to be back in the Big East but whether we had an FBS program or not, this league was always a fallback destination to the ACC (or any other P5), whether it was a couple years or ten years ago it doesn't change where we ended up.

I don't know what point you're trying to make but KO had absolutely zero to do with what conferences we've been in.

Football, as they say, drives the bus. And this bus stalled out in the AAC because of football.

You're just saying a bunch of stuff, some of which is true, but it doesn't make my conclusion any less true.

More importantly, Apostolos Roumoglou has as many titles as Syracuse.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He is a communication major, would have a starting spot with three top 40 guards. Wants a broadcasting gig after playing career. No other school in the country can offer a combination of the best sports communications reputation and connections in the country, major hoops conference, chance to be the top low post scorer with guards who can deliver the rock. He could do a lot worse than Syracuse.

Missouri and Northwestern beg to differ.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't know what point you're trying to make but KO had absolutely zero to do with what conferences we've been in.

Football, as they say, drives the bus. And this bus stalled out in the AAC because of football.

You're just saying a bunch of stuff, some of which is true, but it doesn't make my conclusion any less true.

More importantly, Apostolos Roumoglou has as many titles as Syracuse.

The original contention I am replying to was that hockey was more worthwhile than football, and football was blamed for us (the entire athletic department) languishing in the AAC.

We of course were in the AAC due to football, but the hoops program falling on its face was less due to the conference affiliation but rather having a HC that was uninterested in running a basketball program.

The hockey endeavor seems half baked, as it's another cost to an athletic department that's underwater, they play in a Mickey mouse "barn" and even if they win the national title... Who really cares? A FBS program is our only way into a P5 so I'm not sure why we haven't thrown our full weight behind that is really my point.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The original contention I am replying to was that hockey was more worthwhile than football, and football was blamed for us (the entire athletic department) languishing in the AAC.

We of course were in the AAC due to football, but the hoops program falling on its face was less due to the conference affiliation but rather having a HC that was uninterested in running a basketball program.

The hockey endeavor seems half baked, as it's another cost to an athletic department that's underwater, they play in a Mickey mouse "barn" and even if they win the national title... Who really cares? A FBS program is our only way into a P5 so I'm not sure why we haven't thrown our full weight behind that is really my point.

Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak