Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I were throwing shots (and I guess I am), there were reasons why Brent got "Axed". But anyway . . .

The realignment question was always tricky for me.
PROs: Football money to help fund the athletic dept.​
CONs: Pretty much everything else - Loss of rivalries, fan interest, entertainment value . . .​

I ask myself, "Why do schools sponsor sports?". I'm not sure what the goal is anymore.

Reaction Score
If I were throwing shots (and I guess I am), there were reasons why Brent got "Axed". But anyway . . .

CONs: Pretty much everything else - Loss of rivalries, fan interest, entertainment value . . .​

I ask myself, "Why do schools sponsor sports?". I'm not sure what the goal is anymore.
100% people see money as an end game in and of itself. I love Uconn but don't really care if they have money in the coffers but non-competitive teams on the field. Same reason why I don't support pork barrel, do nothing projects that make politicians and a few others rich. What does that do for me?

Reaction Score

He basically stated that he'd rather be in Syracuses shoes than ours- even after Monday.

he'd rather potentially win another natty than actually win one is the way I'm taking this. Thought it would brighten your already joyous day.

Disclaimer*
I think we should put the Cuse rivalry to bed. It no longer makes sense
Just what is it that makes them "a proud member of the ACC"?

Is it like being a walk-on and having pride in how well you help the regular players prepare for big games?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

The Rutgers board is also going through it - apparently Hurley said he would take the job when they hired Pike but only with a 7 year contract and they wouldn’t do it.

There is a long post in one of the threads basically saying that the potential of being good one day in football and basketball due to Big 10 money is way better than being UConn because our achievements are in the past (despite winning a natty the day before the post, and also sweeping them in baseball last weekend) and we will never be able to sustain success in anything bc our football isn’t good (ignoring we have won 2 titles since Edsall 1.0)

Simon Biles - level mental gymnastics
Fact check. Beating them in baseball is easy. They don’t have a baseball program.

Reaction Score
100% people see money as an end game in and of itself. I love Uconn but don't really care if they have money in the coffers but non-competitive teams on the field. Same reason why I don't support pork barrel, do nothing projects that make politicians and a few others rich. What does that do for me?
Yes, this. It’s absurd. For non-profit institutions, money is never an end game in and of itself. Money is important — often critically important — for what it helps you achieve, but that is its purpose. It’s the achievement that matters, with money being a tool to get there. Anyone focusing on tools rather than achievements is literally a moron.

That doesn’t mean, of course, you wouldn’t rather have more money going forward. Everything else being equal, of course you would

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It’s nice to be widely hated again by other programs
Ric Flair GIF by Giphy QA

Reaction Score

He basically stated that he'd rather be in Syracuses shoes than ours- even after Monday.

he'd rather potentially win another natty than actually win one is the way I'm taking this. Thought it would brighten your already joyous day.

Disclaimer*
I think we should put the Cuse rivalry to bed. It no longer makes sense
Brent Axe sounds like the stage name of a guy paid to be a fluffer for low budget adult films in the 80s.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
5-1, 4-0 since their last (and only) title

The worst of them are simply in despair. They're irrational, they're delusion, they're punch drunk.

They're rock bottom, have some empathy as you politely point and laugh

PS: and they're not alone

It's good to be King

Reaction Score
Allow sports to continue to be played? Allow UConn to have competitive facilities? Allow UConn to pay competitive coaching salaries?
Was speaking only In regards to a team that has more money but little success. In that case the money is just a totem. Of course money is useful. But we won 5 natty outside of the P5 so the argument falls flat right there. You don't need football

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Was speaking only In regards to a team that has more money but little success. In that case the money is just a totem. Of course money is useful. But we won 5 natty outside of the P5 so the argument falls flat right there. You don't need football
First, that’s not actually correct we won three of those national championships in the affective equivalent of a “power conference”.

Whether we bury our heads in the sand or not, college athletics is in the middle of a facilities and coaching salary shooting war. The “ammo” for that war is sports, revenue, predominantly conference media rights. The ACC is currently considered underfunded at a distribution in excess of $35 million per school. Right now, the big east conference schools get a media rights distribution of about 4 million per school. The Big Ten gets a media rights distribution of $72 million per school. Every single year we remain in the Big East we fall tens of million dollars behind our peers. Every. Single. Year.

Now, just to be fair, the big east conference is about to renegotiate their media rights deal. The best case scenario is that the conference distribution may double from $4 million per school to $8 million per school. And that would be an amazingly good deal, but it falls for short of what’s needed to stay relevant in college athletics.

Why does the big east, which literally is the most successful basketball conference over the last five years or so get paid pennies on the dollar compared to other conferences? Well, because the value of basketball broadcast rights is worth no more than $.20 on the dollar what the value of football broadcast rights are. So, if we want to ever receive competitive income to our peer institutions, we absolutely “need football.”

(Oh, and before you talk about how expensive it is to run a football program, about 17 million of our $72 million athletic department deficit was from football. And that is after having historic bad seasons, that depressed attendance. I fully expect a dramatic improvement in footballs financials this year. Just so you don’t have to do the math, that means that $55 million of our $72 million deficit was from sports other than football.)

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The funny thing is that the only way realignment was really going to work out for them was if we came along, too. UConn/Syracuse is (was) a brand rivalry with local and national cache. ESPN puts it in a national time slot and builds a day of programming around it, mythologizes it b/c it's got history and juice. That resonates.

Without us Syracuse is, at best, the 4th-most interesting team on anybody in the ACC's calendar. Same goes for Pitt, except replace "4th" with "8th."

Can't wait for the SEC to take Clemson, Miami, Duke, UNC & FSU in a few years and for the ACC to blow up. Gonna be interesting to see where the pieces fall after that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The funny thing is that the only way realignment was really going to work out for them was if we came along, too. UConn/Syracuse is (was) a brand rivalry with local and national cache. ESPN puts it in a national time slot and builds a day of programming around it, mythologizes it b/c it's got history and juice. That resonates.

Without us Syracuse is, at best, the 4th-most interesting team on anybody in the ACC's calendar. Same goes for Pitt, except replace "4th" with "8th."

Can't wait for the SEC to take Clemson, Miami, Duke, UNC & FSU in a few years and for the ACC to blow up. Gonna be interesting to see where the pieces fall after that.
Yep. But are most likely ending place is in a best of the rest conference with the ACC leftovers.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

My thought (early on) was that the ACC should have been proactive and grabbed UConn, Syracuse, SUNJ, West Virginia, and Pitt and essentially merged with the Big East football league. There's a true Atlantic coast identity there.

Now it's kind of a mishmash of southern football schools, tobacco road hoops sans coaching legends, and northern outposts. Plus a community college in Kentucky.

The Big East is our identity but as a huge UConn football fan I'd hope that we eventually get in a league with some Northeast peer programs again, even as much as playing under the acc banner would make me sick!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Whether we bury our heads in the sand or not, college athletics is in the middle of a facilities and coaching salary shooting war. The “ammo” for that war is sports, revenue, predominantly conference media rights.
. I think this is going to prove out as being a dated notion. You are certainly correct on that was, and is, what it's about and they will still be important. But NIL is king going forward. The other other points are very important components to be sure, and will remain suchm but NIL is going to entirely turn this sport on it's head. Real glad we won this year, and not just for the obvious reasons. This momentum and notoriety will kick start us in this arena,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom