Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread | Page 40 | The Boneyard

Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. I think this is going to prove out as being a dated notion. You are certainly correct on that was, and is, what it's about and they will still be important. But NIL is king going forward. The other other points are very important components to be sure, and will remain suchm but NIL is going to entirely turn this sport on its head. Real glad we won this year, and not just for the obvious reasons. This momentum and notoriety will kick start us in this arena,
No doubt that NIL will be important, but NIL doesn’t pay for coaches’ salaries and facilities. That’s where the P5 multi million dollar broadcast rights proceeds will be applied, not NIL.

For what it’s worth, I think Connecticut is doing an outstanding job with establishing a good NIL support system. I absolutely agree with you that this is critically important, it’s just not the only thing that’s critically important.

Reaction Score
No doubt that NIL will be important, but NIL doesn’t pay for coaches’ salaries and facilities. That’s where the P5 multi million dollar broadcast rights proceeds will be applied, not NIL.

For what it’s worth, I think Connecticut is doing an outstanding job with establishing a good NIL support system. I absolutely agree with you that this is critically important, it’s just not the only thing that’s critically important.
We clearly can’t compete as a football program without the P5 money….but basketball with smaller staffs and facilities I think it’s plausible for us to retain our top tier status under the current situation.

CL82

Reaction Score
We clearly can’t compete as a football program without the P5 money….but basketball with smaller staffs and facilities I think it’s plausible for us to retain our top tier status under the current situation.
I don’t think so. Ultimately, the Big Ten making $70,000,000+ per school annually allows them to build better facilities, and pay the best coaches more. Connecticut has buck that trend bye running its athletic department in the red by $53 million last year. That isn’t sustainable. Footballs share of that deficit was approximately $14 million, which means that $39 million of it was due to sports other than football.

pj

Reaction Score
It looks like we're heading toward two superconferences. The most valuable schools in the Pac and B12 have already bolted to B10 and SEC respectively. It wouldn't be a surprise to see the same happen in the ACC, eg B10 grab UNC and UVa with Notre Dame and Ga Tech, and the SEC to take NC State plus Va Tech, to get state-school footprints in two big states adjacent to their footprint.

Then what? Florida State, Clemson, Duke, Miami, UConn, Kansas, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Stanford, Cal would be the biggest prizes remaining. Maybe a best-of-the-rest conference with east coast and west coast divisions, and championship games pitting west vs east? End game might be a P3.

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. Ultimately, the Big Ten making $70,000,000+ per school annually allows them to build better facilities, and pay the best coaches more. Connecticut has buck that trend bye running its athletic department in the red by $53 million last year. That isn’t sustainable. Footballs share of that deficit was approximately $14 million, which means that $39 million of it was due to sports other than football.
How do you explain the parity in this year's tourney? The smaller market schools represented themselves more this year than any year before, and the trend is only predicting more parity. Shouldn't it be going the other way? With all the big name bball schools wiping the floor?
70million big ten didn't really show up.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
How do you explain the parity in this year's tourney? The smaller market schools represented themselves more this year than any year before, and the trend is only predicting more parity. Shouldn't it be going the other way? With all the big name bball schools wiping the floor?
I don’t, though it wouldn’t surprise me if portal movement accounts for it.

But here’s the thing, sports programs cost money, and the reason why people enjoy upsets when they happen, is because they happen so infrequently. Could there be an aberration in any year, of course, but facilities, matter and coaches matter. That’s why those are the two things you hear, talked about the most when top recruits go on visits.

The Big Ten was on everybody’s radar all season long. Yeah, they weren’t there at the end, but if they decide that that is due to insufficient coaching, they have the resources to hire whomever they want, including Dan Hurley. If we get into a bidding war for him against a team, that makes nearly as much in one year as we do in two decades, they have the resources to outbid us.

Reaction Score
It looks like we're heading toward two superconferences. The most valuable schools in the Pac and B12 have already bolted to B10 and SEC respectively. It wouldn't be a surprise to see the same happen in the ACC, eg B10 grab UNC and UVa with Notre Dame and Ga Tech, and the SEC to take NC State plus Va Tech, to get state-school footprints in two big states adjacent to their footprint.

Then what? Florida State, Clemson, Duke, Miami, UConn, Kansas, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Stanford, Cal would be the biggest prizes remaining. Maybe a best-of-the-rest conference with east coast and west coast divisions, and championship games pitting west vs east? End game might be a P3.
My dream scenario:

BIG takes Pitt, Cuse, us, UVA, ND, UNC; hopefully KU

SEC takes VTech, Duke, Clemson, FSU, Miami, NC State; maybe WVU or Texas Tech

PAC12 absorbs some of the MWC (SDSU, Boise State, UNLV, maybe Fresno)

Big 12 absorbs some of the American (Houston, Memphis, maybe SMU), maybe takes Louisville

Reaction Score
I don’t, though it wouldn’t surprise me if portal movement accounts for it.

But here’s the thing, sports programs cost money, and the reason why people enjoy upsets when they happen, is because they happen so infrequently. Could there be an aberration in any year, of course, but facilities, matter and coaches matter. That’s why those are the two things you hear, talked about the most when top recruits go on visits.
Yes they matter, but this is a new world. you can't treat the portal as an outlier. It is the equalizer and it's not going away. 2nd year of the portal and upsets were the norm, not the exception.

CL82

Reaction Score
My dream scenario:

Big 12 absorbs some of the American (Houston, Memphis, maybe SMU), maybe takes Louisville

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Take your freaking bat and go home
This person must be a total arsewipe
BUT I would love to sit next to him at the next UConn-Cuse game - if Cuse ever has the gonads to play UConn again. He is the type of fan I love to exchange pleasantries and kindly let him know that he knows zero.

Reaction Score
My dream scenario:

Not that I care, but under that scenario, where does BC land? Or do they land anywhere?

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes they matter, but this is a new world. you can't treat the portal as an outlier. It is the equalizer and it's not going away. 2nd year of the portal and upsets were the norm, not the exception.
I don’t treat the portal as an outlier. You asked for an explanation and I made my best guess. I think it’s likely.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The funny thing is that the only way realignment was really going to work out for them was if we came along, too. UConn/Syracuse is (was) a brand rivalry with local and national cache. ESPN puts it in a national time slot and builds a day of programming around it, mythologizes it b/c it's got history and juice. That resonates.

Without us Syracuse is, at best, the 4th-most interesting team on anybody in the ACC's calendar. Same goes for Pitt, except replace "4th" with "8th."

Can't wait for the SEC to take Clemson, Miami, Duke, UNC & FSU in a few years and for the ACC to blow up. Gonna be interesting to see where the pieces fall after that.
Back to the Big East they go

Reaction Score
I don’t treat the portal as an outlier. You asked for an explanation and I made my best guess. I think it’s likely.
I'm with ya. Text can sound aggressive.

Reaction Score
When the numbers come up for this year I’d love to see what the men’s basketball team spent Vs revenue it brought in. (I know Calhoun thought we made a profit on the dime back speech) We aren’t in the best place financially but I’m hoping mens basketball can be as sustainable as possible.

Reaction Score
Their board is flat out the gift that keeps on giving. So much fun! Here is a quote about not wanting to watch the finals:

"JB was right when he said NCAABB is in a terrible place. NIL, one and done culture and me me me is killing NCAABB...imo. you cant have new players every year on every team and sustain fan support ...in any sport."

UCONN's starting 5 was SR, JR, JR, SO, FR. granted the SR was a transfer but hardly a 1 and done.

There was one person responsible for the lone title SU has. How many years did he play at SU? It is so entertaining it's not even fair.

Reaction Score
Take your freaking bat and go home
This person must be a total arsewipe
BUT I would love to sit next to him at the next UConn-Cuse game - if Cuse ever has the gonads to play UConn again. He is the type of fan I love to exchange pleasantries and kindly let him know that he knows zero.
That guy is very angry

Reaction Score

I think the extra cv eligibility year helped too. I cant remember FAU's age, but SDSU was older than the houston rockets. that has to matter.

This is an outlier

Reaction Score
My dream scenario:

UCONN needs the fans to support the football program much better, even if it is a losing team. BIG and SEC tolerate hoops football drives the bus and gets all the front seats. If UCONN wants in it needs to fill The Rent

Reaction Score
UCONN needs the fans to support the football program much better, even if it is a losing team. BIG and SEC tolerate hoops football drives the bus and gets all the front seats. If UCONN wants in it needs to fill The Rent
Yeah the BIG took Rutgers and Maryland for football

Don’t disagree about need for support but the support will come with interesting conference opponents. Nobody cared about playing Tulane and Tulsa. People will show up for BIG teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom