Non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds like Rutgers really blew it. USC seems unlikely. Miami will definitely need guards next season and some of the others under consideration are deep in that area but Miami feels like an outlier. I would think she stays closer to home but often times I'm frankly bewildered by some destinations I see recruits choose. Any recruit with that many schools in the mix usually ends up in the portal anyway lol
If it's closer to home would be Penn St or Seton Hall. Don't believe Felicia Legette Jack the new coach at Syracuse has offered her. She had offers out to 5 players in the 2023 top 100, but she isn't on the list.

Reaction Score
Odd mix of schools, in my opinion. Urban Private Schools... land grants..... a rust belt relic school... west virginia.. and a school in Los Angeles.
I don't think she is involved with any schools in Los Angeles.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sounds like Rutgers really blew it. USC seems unlikely. Miami will definitely need guards next season and some of the others under consideration are deep in that area but Miami feels like an outlier.

If it's closer to home would be Penn St or Seton Hall. Don't believe Felicia Legette Jack the new coach at Syracuse has offered her. She had offers out to 5 players in the 2023 top 100, but she isn't on the list.

Feels like Coach Washington -- if she's not taking a short drive to Plainview, NJ (Brook's home, if memory serves) -- may have made a decision on Brooks, already. And it may not be an uninformed one. Brooks has followed every ND coach on social media: Ivey, Washington, Mabrey (the recruiting coordinator) and Owens (the post coach). Mabrey followed her in turn and Brooks admits to not having any contact with Coach Q.

There were ample opportunities for ND (and Washington) to see her since Brooks plays with the Philly Rise: ND is a constant client, if you will, of the Belles/Rise, with Olivia Miles being the most recent product of the program at ND. Plus, they've gone to see Hannah Hidalgo and Kennedy Umeh. Coach Washington has to have either seen her play or heard about her. (BTW, I've got no idea if ND is interested beyond what I just wrote.)

In Fall 2023, Penn State will need a PG/combo guard if McKenna Marisa moves on. If she recovers well, I could see Brooks playing well with another Philly Belle/Rise grad: Alli Campbell (remember her?). BC has a very open roster but what the heck is going on there? And Anthony Bozella seems to do his best recruiting from the transfer portal.

Stay tuned.

Reaction Score

Per the most recent Zoe Brooks article shared by @Coler she had a final 3:

Quote from article: “My final three schools were Boston College, Miami and North Carolina State. Along with the old Rutgers staff, those were the schools that I felt did the best job of recruiting me and had a lot of the qualities that I was looking for. I really like the coaching staff at all three schools and telling the other two schools, ‘they weren’t the choice’ was very difficult to do.”

Reaction Score
Per the most recent Zoe Brooks article shared by @Coler she had a final 3:

Quote from article: “My final three schools were Boston College, Miami and North Carolina State. Along with the old Rutgers staff, those were the schools that I felt did the best job of recruiting me and had a lot of the qualities that I was looking for. I really like the coaching staff at all three schools and telling the other two schools, ‘they weren’t the choice’ was very difficult to do.”
She also went on to say the following :

"All three of the schools are great. There aren’t many schools that can top a degree from Boston College. Miami is located in Florida and they are building something special on the court. North Carolina State has been one of the top teams in the country for years. The coaches for each program made me feel like my style of play would work there.” and “I’m happy with my choice. It’s the right blend of academics and athletics that I’m looking for. “

So, does that make it clearer to anyone?

Reaction Score
She also went on to say the following :

"All three of the schools are great. There aren’t many schools that can top a degree from Boston College. Miami is located in Florida and they are building something special on the court. North Carolina State has been one of the top teams in the country for years. The coaches for each program made me feel like my style of play would work there.” and “I’m happy with my choice. It’s the right blend of academics and athletics that I’m looking for. “

So, does that make it clearer to anyone?
As mud maybe.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Update on Notre Dame Recruiting
(as of early June)

Niele Ivey and Michaela Mabrey (Ivey's' director of recruiting) have kept their recruiting under pretty tight wraps. This was a tad surprising, given her affability among press and fellow coaches. It's made matters interesting keeping track of things over at The Bench, but everyone pitches in with an article here, a sighting there and/or an instagram story.

Eric Hansen, a South Bend journalist more known for his football background just wrote the attached update (thanks to RISteve for finding and posting) and the good news is: 1) the Bench is pretty much up to speed; 2) Dan Olson was interviewed and offers insights into each of the prospects; and, 3) Coach Ivey is going to Hungary to watch Jadyn Donovan, Hannah Hidalgo and Kennedy Umeh, three of ND's key players of interest.

ND also had strong interest in two players north of the border: Cassandre Prosper and Toby Fournier. And they've got a commitment from big guard/wing and sharpshooter, Emma Risch. All this and full roster below on the link.

Reaction Score
Update on Notre Dame Recruiting
(as of early June)

Niele Ivey and Michaela Mabrey (Ivey's' director of recruiting) have kept their recruiting under pretty tight wraps. This was a tad surprising, given her affability among press and fellow coaches. It's made matters interesting keeping track of things over at The Bench, but everyone pitches in with an article here, a sighting there and/or an instagram story.

Eric Hansen, a South Bend journalist more known for his football background just wrote the attached update (thanks to RISteve for finding and posting) and the good news is: 1) the Bench is pretty much up to speed; 2) Dan Olson was interviewed and offers insights into each of the prospects; and, 3) Coach Ivey is going to Hungary to watch Jadyn Donovan, Hannah Hidalgo and Kennedy Umeh, three of ND's key players of interest.

ND also had strong interest in two players north of the border: Cassandre Prosper and Toby Fournier. And they've got a commitment from big guard/wing and sharpshooter, Emma Risch. All this and full roster below on the link.

It would be interesting to know how the writer confirmed Prosper isn't considering participating in the FIBA U17 tournament. Nothing has been published about the try-out roster by Canada Basketball to my knowledge.

Also curious on Olson's interpretation of aggressive as I'd disagree with that statement. I think she can be too aggressive sometimes from what I've seen.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know how the writer confirmed Prosper isn't considering participating in the FIBA U17 tournament. Nothing has been published about the try-out roster by Canada Basketball to my knowledge.

Also curious on Olson's interpretation of aggressive as I'd disagree with that statement. I think she can be too aggressive sometimes from what I've seen.

I've got no idea about where the writer got his information on whether Prosper is/isn't going to Hungary. From ND's perspective, I don't think it really matters: Ivey is recruiting her and has what she needs to keep moving forward.

As for this Olson comment: "She’s not as aggressive in going to the basket or on the glass, but she’s still pretty impressive.." I think that was said in reference/comparison to Donovan, who lives to attack the paint. The "wow" he said about Prosper is all most really need to know.

Reaction Score
I've got no idea about where the writer got his information on whether Prosper is/isn't going to Hungary. From ND's perspective, I don't think it really matters: Ivey is recruiting her and has what she needs to keep moving forward.

As for this Olson comment: "She’s not as aggressive in going to the basket or on the glass, but she’s still pretty impressive.." I think that was said in reference/comparison to Donovan, who lives to attack the paint. The "wow" he said about Prosper is all most really need to know.
Wow. This is actually good news for ND fans. I knew Ivey has been on Prosper for awhile now. She’s worked out with Nat before (I saw on social media). Prosper is very private about her recruitment. It’s also good news that Ivey is going to watch the USA U17. It shows she cares about who she’s recruiting. This should be the start of good news for Irish fans… As I know over the last several years of being up and down.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Not sure what Olson knows. Prosper was among 24 kids invited to the U17 camp in March along with Fournier and Prawl (exciting young player). She is age-eligible for the U17 team and won’t be playing for the U18 team next week.

Reaction Score
Not sure what Olson knows. Prosper was among 24 kids invited to the U17 camp in March along with Fournier and Prawl (exciting young player). She is age-eligible for the U17 team and won’t be playing for the U18 team next week.
It wasn't Olson who made the statement but Eric Hansen from InsideNDSports.

As noted before, Canada Basketball hasn't announced the list of finalists for the U17 squad. It's a reach but unless she's being considered for the U23 team competing at Global Jam in early July, I can't see her not attending the final U17 try out.

Reaction Score
It wasn't Olson who made the statement but Eric Hansen from InsideNDSports.

As noted before, Canada Basketball hasn't announced the list of finalists for the U17 squad. It's a reach but unless she's being considered for the U23 team competing at Global Jam in early July, I can't see her not attending the final U17 try out.
Hmmm… Interesting. We shall see. I know Ivey is HEAVILY involved with both Prosper and Fournier. If she can get Prosper to ND, she has A PLAYER. She totally reminds me of Satou Sabally.

Reaction Score
FUGLdl0XEAA_HKv.jpg

Todd has been shining for Canada's U18 team. Leading the team in scoring each of the first three games and putting up double digit first halves in each.

Reaction Score
View attachment 76961

Todd has been shining for Canada's U18 team. Leading the team in scoring each of the first three games and putting up double digit first halves in each.
So far so good, but the real test will be later in semis and hopefully the finals. In all fairness, I think Canada should have been much further ahead with respect to what the scores represent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So far so good, but the real test will be later in semis and hopefully the finals. In all fairness, I think Canada should have been much further ahead with respect to what the scores represent.
I was also somewhat surprised that Todd is not playing either of the guard positions on this team. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I was also somewhat surprised that Todd is not playing either of the guard positions on this team. Thoughts?
I think her playing a wing/combo guard is better for her skillsets. I think her focus on trying to be a point guard when she was younger hampered her development and recruitment. She's got great handles, but she's not a point guard in my opinion. She does a lot better when she's moving around without the ball in her hands all the time.

When she was the primary guard at Royal Crown (pre-COVID), she struggled when teams keyed in on her. When she transferred to IMG, she wasn't the primary ball handler was a lot more effective in my opinion. This was also the case when she played with BecomeOne UAA squad. The ball handling was left to others and I thought her play was a lot better.

Reaction Score
Watching Prosper’s UAA Become One game on YouTube. Wow! She’s a hell of a player.

Reaction Score

Interesting recruiting prospect for OSU. She has a brother who is a sophomore at Alabama. Played with the Canadian U16 squad last summer. Also played with Lemyah Hylton who is a 2022 for Arizona.

Last I saw of her, mobility may be a challenge, but it could be based on how she's utilized at Southwest. Will be interesting to see how she performs throughout the summer with Kia Nurse EYBL.

Reaction Score

I have enjoyed watching this team play. My expectations were a bit tempered without Prosper, Fournier and Gibb playing so that might have led to me being easier to please.

Not expecting them to be a challenge for the U.S. this year. It would take an unprecedented ability to beat their full court press and miraculous three point shooting.

Reaction Score
I have enjoyed watching this team play. My expectations were a bit tempered without Prosper, Fournier and Gibb playing so that might have led to me being easier to please.

Not expecting them to be a challenge for the U.S. this year. It would take an unprecedented ability to beat their full court press and miraculous three point shooting.
I think you're forgetting the U17 tournament scheduled for July. Yes, these three could play the U18 tournament, but the turnaround to play in Hungary would be unfair to them. I did find it interesting that they had Jasmine Bascoe, who is also a 2024 like Fournier, try out for this squad. She has shown well at this tournament.

And while Prosper, Fournier and Gibb are exciting players, we can't over look the players on this team. Hylton, Koabel, and Dykstra have played well along with Todd. Rowe has done good work in the paint getting rebounds and defending the post. Diakhate (sic?), is showing some flashes of what Georgia will be getting as a post player too. Asare has run the PG position well and is another defensive spark plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom