Nika injury? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nika injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCLA played a good portion of last season with only 7 or 8 players available. They tried to take advantage of the Covid short-handed rule to postpone a game against Oregon since the policy didn't explicitly say short-handed due to Covid. PAC-12 said it didn't apply to Covid and declared it a forfeit.

According to this article, UCLA played multiple games with just 7 players available the 2020-2021 season.

Injuries through the first 19 games last year.

Reaction Score
UCLA played a good portion of last season with only 7 or 8 players available. They tried to take advantage of the Covid short-handed rule to postpone a game against Oregon since the policy didn't explicitly say short-handed due to Covid. PAC-12 said it didn't apply to Covid and declared it a forfeit.

According to this article, UCLA played multiple games with just 7 players available the 2020-2021 season.

Injuries through the first 19 games last year.

You don't need to look to other programs. UConn WBB history is filled with undermanned teams (relative to other team rosters).....among them those that followed the graduation of Stewie, Morgan and MoJeff. Just think of the Gabby-Kia team as juniors when they often played with a rotation of 6 against good teams, 7 most of the season......they never complained about being banged up (which several of them were) or of tiredness (near exhaustion towards the end of the season). If this kind of stuff happened to those rosters, they would have ended with less than five healthy players in some games.

Reaction Score
OMG I feel sick. I don't get SNY (switching to DirectTV is in the works) so I didn't see the game.

I pray Nika's injury isn't too severe & she'll be able to return but you never know with a head injury. :(
I have Hulu as my TV provider and ESPN+. Neither carried the game so I just uploaded the Fox Sports App, no fee, and they did stream the game. Fox Sports is not FS1 or FS2 so if you have access to those you still need to upload Fox Sports. Worked for me, hope it works for you!

Reaction Score
The only good news about Nika’s injury is that Croatia went out and beat Brazil in the World Cup and dedicated it to Nika. :)
Amazing thought.....she's now on level with Pele: Brazil dedicate a win for Pele earlier......now a World Cup win dedicatee like Pele? That's up there in the clouds.....(how come it doesn't show my emoji: a halo over the head?)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Until she passes concussion protocol. Could theoretically be only a few days - assuming she does indeed have a concussion, which appears likely - but likely longer. Possibly more than a week, maybe a lot more. (hopefully not).
If she is put in the " concussion protocol" she will not play against Maryland, for sure. It is normally 1-2 weeks.

Reaction Score
With Nika injured, and Lou and Dorka "iffy"; Roster is down to as few as 6, maybe 7 or 8 .... I wouldn't be surprised if the Maryland game was cancelled.
If Lou is injured, we may well see that. I don't think a team can play with six.

Reaction Score
Uconn W. In the recent past has had LIMITED #s of players and Yes teams sped it up and rotated fresh players in and out. I don't recall whether Uconn lost, but you probably know they didn't lose.

5 seems like a decent number of players to have on the floor. 4 or 3 seems unacceptable. Refs and the Conferences EXPECT coaches to use reasonable caution-.

I think if Geno was down to just Azzi, Paige, Lou and Edwards he'd play most teams.

Is there ANY proof, recently, of coaches playing players lots of minutes and being expelled for that'' then I'd like to REPORT IOWA' (ST?) Coach because Clark plays nearly 40 minutes every game and is running the whole time. (I like that kid, I just don't like UC playing against her.)
Caitlin Clark is averaging 33 minutes per game, slightly less or more than what Geno was playing Azzi, Dorka, Aaliyah, Nika and Lou. Iowa actually uses its bench more often than UConn was doing (before the latest rash of injuries hit the Huskies).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I would be surprised if there was any announcement regarding Nika (or Dorka or even Lou) before tomorrow afternoon. The team probably already knows or at least has a pretty good idea of who will be available on Sunday, but it's not the kind of information they want to share with the opponents any sooner than necessary.

Reaction Score
I have Hulu as my TV provider and ESPN+. Neither carried the game so I just uploaded the Fox Sports App, no fee, and they did stream the game. Fox Sports is not FS1 or FS2 so if you have access to those you still need to upload Fox Sports. Worked for me, hope it works for you!

Thanks I'll give it a shot! :)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
UConn never came out and said she suffered a concussion. It was always a "head injury." Why did they refuse to admit it was a concussion? Given how much controversy there is over how universities treat athletes with concussions, shouldn't the university at least admit that a student-athlete is undergoing evaluation for concussion protocol? This isn't an issue of the public's right to know. Across the country, university teams regularly state whether a student-athlete has suffered a concussion, whether one is being evaluated for a concussion, at what stage of the concussion protocol they are, and when they're cleared.

The question is why UConn doesn't adhere to this common practice at virtually every other university?
You make a very valid point. There is no earthly reason that the university does not inform all fans of the injury status of all players. So , I am speculating here. But it seems likely they don't just to piss you off. :p

Reaction Score
Yup, I'm with you on that one. I had hoped to find about the dedication but can't track it down.
I would be shocked if this was true. I assumed it was a joke. Maybe the OP can come back and clarify.

Reaction Score
UConn never came out and said she suffered a concussion. It was always a "head injury." Why did they refuse to admit it was a concussion? Given how much controversy there is over how universities treat athletes with concussions, shouldn't the university at least admit that a student-athlete is undergoing evaluation for concussion protocol? This isn't an issue of the public's right to know. Across the country, university teams regularly state whether a student-athlete has suffered a concussion, whether one is being evaluated for a concussion, at what stage of the concussion protocol they are, and when they're cleared.

The question is why UConn doesn't adhere to this common practice at virtually every other university?

Apparently you’re thinking about how things might’ve been 30 years ago. It is not at all a “common practice” for “virtually every university” to disclose private medical information.

Reaction Score
Apparently you’re thinking about how things might’ve been 30 years ago. It is not at all a “common practice” for “virtually every university” to disclose private medical information.
I don't need to know private medical information, but as a fan I would appreciate a statement such as: "Susie will not play the next game and may miss the game after that". That does not disclose any private information. I can appreciate that it may be too early to say that for Nika, Lou, and even Dorka, but sometime today it should be known and stated. At least with Azzi we got 1 to 3 weeks. Notice how there is very little speculation about her? Just a tiny amount of game, not medical, information can end the uninformed speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom