Nika injury? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nika injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
It's amazing how many injuries UCONN has had to overcome the last two seasons. Yet, they just continue to win. It's scary to think how good they would really be if all of these injuries hadn't occurred.

Reaction Score
UConn never came out and said she suffered a concussion. It was always a "head injury." Why did they refuse to admit it was a concussion? Given how much controversy there is over how universities treat athletes with concussions, shouldn't the university at least admit that a student-athlete is undergoing evaluation for concussion protocol? This isn't an issue of the public's right to know. Across the country, university teams regularly state whether a student-athlete has suffered a concussion, whether one is being evaluated for a concussion, at what stage of the concussion protocol they are, and when they're cleared.

The question is why UConn doesn't adhere to this common practice at virtually every other university?
As I recall what they said was that according to doctors she had a head injury that didn't meet the criteria for concussion but was nonetheless significant. There are a lot of gray areas with these diagnoses—you can't identity a concussion with a scan you just have to test symptoms and the test results can be inconclusive. I think the approach the coaches ultimately went with was to let her play after she was medically cleared and take her out if she didn't seem like herself—I think they were reluctant to simply let her play through her problems getting back into the flow of things because there was the suspicion that her problem could be lingering injury not rustiness.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First and foremost, I wish Nika the best - as a fan and as a human being. She is an amazing kid and an amazing player. Obviously this is a women's college basketball forum, UCONN specifically, and most every poster on her is a UCONN fan in one way or another.

Having said that, I get that legally, fans have no right to the medical information of any player. However... this is big time college basketball. It's not grade school or T-league. In pro sports, fans may not have a right to know either, but (as just one example) in football, there are now lawsuits over concussions issues - safety of helmets, helmet to helmet hits, etc. and the league has had to change rules to protect the players. So yeah, injuries are a big deal.

I'm not equating the injury of Nika to rules and game-play protocol of pro football, but rather (my point), in EVERY sport, any injured player starts a free for all among fans for asking, speculating, questioning, etc. Why should it be any different for WCBB? It's the same on the MCBB side. Fans want to know about the injury, how severe it is, how long they will be out, and then discuss how it impacts the rest of the team going forward.

I 100% agree that fans never have a RIGHT to know. However, fans will ALWAYS ask. The less specific the University is in providing answers, the more fans will speculate. I would never tell anyone how or what to post, but I don't get the constant stream of chiding fans for "we have no right to know" (unless the fan is saying "I have a right to know", which they don't seem to be doing), or the "why are we speculating"? well The answer to #2 is because we don't know, we are worried for both the player and the team, etc.

It's not like fans are speculating on a players sexuality, or the possibility of a transfer, or being overly harsh and critical (ie. a player sucks and a scholarship is wasted on her) - all things that will get deleted. Do I like every speculation post? Of course not. But the constant sniping bothers me more. It IS possible to ignore posts... Just my $.02...

Reaction Score
I think there is a minimum number of available players needed to hold a game. I tried to google this and couldn't find an answer. When you only have 6 or even 7 players available, the probability of additional injuries increases. Fouling can increase as the other team tries to take advantage of the low player count. Players can get tired if the other team speeds up the game. All this can lead to more injuries.
Uconn W. In the recent past has had LIMITED #s of players and Yes teams sped it up and rotated fresh players in and out. I don't recall whether Uconn lost, but you probably know they didn't lose.

5 seems like a decent number of players to have on the floor. 4 or 3 seems unacceptable. Refs and the Conferences EXPECT coaches to use reasonable caution-.

I think if Geno was down to just Azzi, Paige, Lou and Edwards he'd play most teams.

Is there ANY proof, recently, of coaches playing players lots of minutes and being expelled for that'' then I'd like to REPORT IOWA' (ST?) Coach because Clark plays nearly 40 minutes every game and is running the whole time. (I like that kid, I just don't like UC playing against her.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Art. 3. When there is only one player participating for a team, that team shall forfeit unless the referee believes that both teams have an opportunity to win
So, if it was say, just Paige, the ref could look up and say “Eh, even five on one I still think it’s a coin flip.”

Reaction Score
Section 2. The Team
Art. 1. At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of whom shall be the captain.
Art. 2. Each team may continue to play with fewer than five players when all other team members are not eligible or able to play.
Art. 3. When there is only one player participating for a team, that team shall forfeit unless the referee believes that both teams have an opportunity to win.
Art. 3 only applies to Iowa.

Reaction Score
Notr Dame's game with Lafayette was canceled/postponed due to health reasons. I wonder if this is an option for UConn?
Is there any information about what has to be the situation for a team to request a cancellation or reschedule?
One could argue that if you have 5 or 6 healthy bodies ... that the game " must go on". So ... to limit
the speculation, does anyone have any "evidence based" (NCAA guidelines?) about this type of situation? Do both
teams have to agree or is it a courtesy if the " injured" team requests it.? When does the option of
taking a forfeit come into play.? Thanks, Z

Reaction Score
Section 2. The Team
Art. 1. At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of whom shall be the captain.
Art. 2. Each team may continue to play with fewer than five players when all other team members are not eligible or able to play.
Art. 3. When there is only one player participating for a team, that team shall forfeit unless the referee believes that both teams have an opportunity to win.
Thanks for the information. Very helpful. So, the recent Cancellation of a N. D. game was for some other reason (Yes?)

Reaction Score
Is there any information about what has to be the situation for a team to request a cancellation or reschedule?
One could argue that if you have 5 or 6 healthy bodies ... that the game " must go on". So ... to limit
the speculation, does anyone have any "evidence based" (NCAA guidelines?) about this type of situation? Do both
teams have to agree or is it a courtesy if the " injured" team requests it.? When does the option of
taking a forfeit come into play.? Thanks, Z
Mississippi State played a game last year with 7 available players. I believe that was the minimum before a forfeit was required. I think the only time canceling was allowed was during the Covid pandemic.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
So, How does the inbound work?:D
u make the tom brady pose like ur aboot to toss it long, assumedly to then hope that u can chase it down. ball defender puts their arms way up, jumping to try and deflect it.
but u don't long ball it. u gently use both hands to push it off their leg, and then gather up the dribbler.
id sure like to meet that baller.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thanks for the information. Very helpful. So, the recent Cancellation of a N. D. game was for some other reason (Yes?)
The Notre Dame v Lafayette game has been postponed allegedly due to COVID issues. So the game is eligible for postponing whereas if a team is not able to field a team due to injuries, it is a forfeit. Just another instance of NCAA selective rules.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
UConn never came out and said she suffered a concussion. It was always a "head injury." Why did they refuse to admit it was a concussion? Given how much controversy there is over how universities treat athletes with concussions, shouldn't the university at least admit that a student-athlete is undergoing evaluation for concussion protocol? This isn't an issue of the public's right to know. Across the country, university teams regularly state whether a student-athlete has suffered a concussion, whether one is being evaluated for a concussion, at what stage of the concussion protocol they are, and when they're cleared.

The question is why UConn doesn't adhere to this common practice at virtually every other university?
I, on the other hand, believe that all injuries and return times should be adjudicated by a Boneyard poll. Votes should be weighted by the number of lifetime "likes" received . If there are ties, the results should be averaged.

Reaction Score
OMG I feel sick. I don't get SNY (switching to DirectTV is in the works) so I didn't see the game.

I pray Nika's injury isn't too severe & she'll be able to return but you never know with a head injury. :(

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As I recall what they said was that according to doctors she had a head injury that didn't meet the criteria for concussion but was nonetheless significant. There are a lot of gray areas with these diagnoses—you can't identity a concussion with a scan you just have to test symptoms and the test results can be inconclusive. I think the approach the coaches ultimately went with was to let her play after she was medically cleared and take her out if she didn't seem like herself—I think they were reluctant to simply let her play through her problems getting back into the flow of things because there was the suspicion that her problem could be lingering injury not rustiness.
Yes, I remember them being open and saying several times a "non-concussion head injury" that was a result of several blows to the head over several games. Diagnosing a concussion is not an exact science, and it's not like there's some treatment that suddenly changes if a concussion vs a different head injury is diagnosed, nor does it make a bit of difference to most fans.

Reaction Score
I also feel bad for Aaliyah. The poor woman is getting a reputation as "The Destroyer."
Could have considered it payback. Wasn't it Nika that broke Aaliyah's nose requiring the mask?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
OMG I feel sick. I don't get SNY (switching to DirectTV is in the works) so I didn't see the game.

I pray Nika's injury isn't too severe & she'll be able to return but you never know with a head injury. :(
If you have access to YouTube, the replays are posted there...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Could have considered it payback. Wasn't it Nika that broke Aaliyah's nose requiring the mask?
Nike breaks Aaliyahs nose forcing her to wear a mask.
Aaliyah gets pushed causing her to fall and hit Azzi's knee with her head.
Aaliyah tries to get a rebound and doesn't see a fallen Nika (possibly because of that mask) hitting Nika's head with her knee.

This can only be described as a circular connection of horrible events.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Aaliyah appeared to be shaken after Nika was taken off the floor. Her play appeared to be affected for a while afterwards. I hope she doesn't get into a funk because of this, both Azzi's and Nika's injuries are not her fault.

Reaction Score
Patience! The doctors have to clear a player first. Then the player has to be mentally ready to get on the court.

I see lots of opinions being expressed. Some out of concern, some because people feel the need to express a medical opinion.

Nothing we say on this board is going to influence the outcome.

That said, let us hope the players get healthy soon and a have a rest of the season with few or no injuries.
Don't you know how many doctors there are here on the BY?

Reaction Score
I believe it was the good old health and safety protocols with a side of an abundance of caution.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah appeared to be shaken after Nika was taken off the floor. Her play appeared to be affected for a while afterwards. I hope she doesn't get into a funk because of this, both Azzi's and Nika's injuries are not her fault.
Basketball's a rough sport. You can land on someone's foot at any time and get injured, for instance. Just gotta go out and take your chances.

I think Nika will be OK and play Sunday. JMO

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member