Nika injury? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I suspect the most judicious course of action would be not to play her on Sunday, even if she is cleared. She's be playing so hard for so long this year already. Give her a week to renew and recover.

Reaction Score
Patience! The doctors have to clear a player first. Then the player has to be mentally ready to get on the court.

I see lots of opinions being expressed. Some out of concern, some because people feel the need to express a medical opinion.

Nothing we say on this board is going to influence the outcome.

That said, let us hope the players get healthy soon and a have a rest of the season with few or no injuries.

Reaction Score
If Muhl can play, i.e., cleared by the medical people, she will play; if not, she won’t. I believe I am the one millionth poster to suggest leaving the medical decisions to the medical people. Uninformed speculation about injuries, etc. serves no purpose.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
With Nika injured, and Lou and Dorka "iffy"; Roster is down to as few as 6, maybe 7 or 8 .... I wouldn't be surprised if the Maryland game was cancelled.
Notr Dame's game with Lafayette was canceled/postponed due to health reasons. I wonder if this is an option for UConn?

Reaction Score
can someone post the replay of the injury? I missed that part of the game last night.

Reaction Score
Notr Dame's game with Lafayette was canceled/postponed due to health reasons. I wonder if this is an option for UConn?

I think there is a minimum number of available players needed to hold a game. I tried to google this and couldn't find an answer. When you only have 6 or even 7 players available, the probability of additional injuries increases. Fouling can increase as the other team tries to take advantage of the low player count. Players can get tired if the other team speeds up the game. All this can lead to more injuries.

Reaction Score
i know that i've already liked the 'stop the speculation' post, but,
il_794xN.1983366903_9pvw.jpg

cheeze and crackers already, lou has a tender wheel, and, unless they moved her to witness protection, it's still nika who took a couple of knocks to the noggin.
nika muhl. The Nika Muhl.
they're not china dolls, u know.
go ahead, i dares ya, call nika a 'china doll.' then run, fast,
before she clocks you.
I differ. Humans ARE fragile. Humans are tough. AT the SAME Time. I've seen indestructible friends survive the in-survivable.
Then live with years of a damaged body.
I prefer to think of these young ladies, as YOUNG LADIES, college KIDS with lots of mental toughness.
Personally, Nika I doubt would be up set with Ccoatian Doll, China, Maybe.

Reaction Score
I think there is a minimum number of available players needed to hold a game. I tried to google this and couldn't find an answer. When you only have 6 or even 7 players available, the probability of additional injuries increases. Fouling can increase as the other team tries to take advantage of the low player count. Players can get tired if the other team speeds up the game. All this can lead to more injuries.

Reaction Score
Is it? With the Covid rules it is 7, but I have no idea if those are still in effect.
Cancelling Maryland is an option, as an out of conference game there is really no harm. As a conference game cancelling/forfeiting Seton Hall is more problematic.

[Edit] If it comes down to having to play an injured player to keep five players on the floor then I say cancel/forfeit. No one wants a coach to play an injured player and no one wants to put players in the position of hiding the severity of an injury.

Reaction Score
If Muhl can play, i.e., cleared by the medical people, she will play; if not, she won’t. I believe I am the one millionth poster to suggest leaving the medical decisions to the medical people. Uninformed speculation about injuries, etc. serves no purpose.
Medical decisions are always left up to the medical staff. Playing decisions are left up to the coaches, after consultation with the medical staff, and to a lesser extent, the players.

Reaction Score
With Nika injured, and Lou and Dorka "iffy"; Roster is down to as few as 6, maybe 7 or 8 .... I wouldn't be surprised if the Maryland game was cancelled.
I was talking on the Maryland thread about this.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
can someone post the replay of the injury? I missed that part of the game last night.
The entire game is posted and there is a thread posted with the YouTube link.

Reaction Score
hopefully, the the med staff will be able to determine the severity of the injury...........my daughter got hit on the head by another player's knee while scrambling for a loose ball and she was out for over a month with headaches and dizziness, yet I've seen equally bad contact where the player was back on the floor several days later with zero issues.......

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I differ. Humans ARE fragile. Humans are tough. AT the SAME Time. I've seen indestructible friends survive the in-survivable.
Then live with years of a damaged body.
I prefer to think of these young ladies, as YOUNG LADIES, college KIDS with lots of mental toughness.
Personally, Nika I doubt would be up set with Ccoatian Doll, China, Maybe.
they are not 'kids.' 'kids' are commonly defined as 'children.' they're not children.
they are adults, insofar as those 18 or older.
we almost never read ad nauseum threads and posts of the dr. kildare type at the baseball, hockey, and football threads here. none there spend countless pages yammering on aboot 'the kids and their booboos.'
why is that? aren't those players the same age as the hoopsters? don't all of their age have mostly the same ability for healing?

Reaction Score
What's with "finally admitting"?? After Caroline took hits to the head against Creighton and missed several games starting with the Tennessee game, it was public knowledge that she had a concussion, or at least a significant head injury.

If you are arguing about the precision with which the details were reported, that really isn't a fan's business. The players are entitled to a degree of medical privacy. UConn attempts to let fans know what they know about the duration of a player's unavailability, as they just did with Azzi. And if Azzi turns out to need 8 or 10 weeks instead of the 3 to 6 weeks that UConn estimated, that does not prove that anyone was being deliberately misleading or deceptive.

There is no such thing as a fan's "right to know".

UConn never came out and said she suffered a concussion. It was always a "head injury." Why did they refuse to admit it was a concussion? Given how much controversy there is over how universities treat athletes with concussions, shouldn't the university at least admit that a student-athlete is undergoing evaluation for concussion protocol? This isn't an issue of the public's right to know. Across the country, university teams regularly state whether a student-athlete has suffered a concussion, whether one is being evaluated for a concussion, at what stage of the concussion protocol they are, and when they're cleared.

The question is why UConn doesn't adhere to this common practice at virtually every other university?

Reaction Score
That's the advantage of playing a gruelling schedule. If Geno decides to cancel the Maryland game, nobody can accuse UCONN of ducking a tough opponent. They have already played more top 20 games than many teams will play all season!

Reaction Score
UConn never came out and said she suffered a concussion. It was always a "head injury." Why did they refuse to admit it was a concussion? Given how much controversy there is over how universities treat athletes with concussions, shouldn't the university at least admit that a student-athlete is undergoing evaluation for concussion protocol? This isn't an issue of the public's right to know. Across the country, university teams regularly state whether a student-athlete has suffered a concussion, whether one is being evaluated for a concussion, at what stage of the concussion protocol they are, and when they're cleared.

The question is why UConn doesn't adhere to this common practice at virtually every other university?
The question is why does this bother you so much? Is it because you must know the medical conditions of the players, or because you believe there is something nefarious going on and the University is trying to cover it up?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Section 2. The Team
Art. 1. At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of whom shall be the captain.
Art. 2. Each team may continue to play with fewer than five players when all other team members are not eligible or able to play.
Art. 3. When there is only one player participating for a team, that team shall forfeit unless the referee believes that both teams have an opportunity to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom