new coaches for georgetown & st. john’s. thoughts? | The Boneyard

new coaches for georgetown & st. john’s. thoughts?

Reaction Score
two storied BE programs. let’s hear some names

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

1678574077687.png

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
would be a shame for Cooley to leave PC, guess his loyalty gets tested

We were lucky with Jim, and I think Dan is cut from the same cloth

Reaction Score

Why would you think that? No local ties, jumped to a better spot more than once. Dan looks out for Dan, and that’s ok

Reaction Score

I agree I wish Cooley stays at PC. I like the New England rivalry with PC. PC was completely irrelevant between 2005 and 2010

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Wouldn't that be kind of a lateral move for Cooley? Georgetown has more history, but not recently.

Reaction Score
@UConnSwag11 would be my choice. He knows everything about Basketball. If you don't believe me, just ask him...lol

Reaction Score
Wouldn't that be kind of a lateral move for Cooley? Georgetown has more history, but not recently.
I think Georgetown is a pretty clear cut upgrade over Providence. It’s in a better location for recruiting, and despite what others on here say about it being the distant past, Georgetown has significantly more prestige.

I said a week or so ago that there was no way Cooley would leave Providence, but it’s looking more and more like it’s happening.

Reaction Score
Is there a previous connection with Cooley and gtown or JT3 or something? Curious why he was so quickly linked

Reaction Score
I think Georgetown is a pretty clear cut upgrade over Providence. It’s in a better location for recruiting, and despite what others on here say about it being the distant past, Georgetown has significantly more prestige.

I said a week or so ago that there was no way Cooley would leave Providence, but it’s looking more and more like it’s happening.
I did not think there was a chance either. Sure more money helps, but I think it’s the intrinsic factors that are the driving force. I mean like carrying John Thompson’s legacy, being successful at a prestigious basketball program which will enhance his reputation, etc

Reaction Score
Is there a previous connection with Cooley and gtown or JT3 or something? Curious why he was so quickly linked
He was very close friends with John Thompson and his son for a long time. JT looked out for Ed Cooley and spoke to him frequently giving him advice on the coaching profession. When Shaheen Holloway was coaching at St. Peter’s last year and they played Providence last year the announcers stated Cooley told Shaheen many years ago that he could call him anytime for advice on the coaching profession. Cooley stated it was his way of paying it forward because John Thompson was very supportive of him in the same way.

Reaction Score

The location thing always bothers me. If it matters that much wouldn't St John's, Seton hall, and especially DePaul be able to recruit better than Gonzaga, Purdue, etc... that's NYC and Chicago vs. Spokane, West Lafayette.
Also, Georgetown hasn't been good in a long, long time. I don't know about that prestige. By that logic, Rutgers and Navy football should have prestige.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Plot twist. What if Cooley goes to Georgetown and then PC scoops up Pitino?
Unfortunately for Providence, Ricky will be off the market before PC will start looking for a new head coach.

Reaction Score
The location thing always bothers me. If it matters that much wouldn't St John's, Seton hall, and especially DePaul be able to recruit better than Gonzaga, Purdue, etc... that's NYC and Chicago vs. Spokane, West Lafayette.
Also, Georgetown hasn't been good in a long, long time. I don't know about that prestige. By that logic, Rutgers and Navy football should have prestige.

Georgetown is a better situation than Providence. They pay better, have a better NIL situation, and are in a massively bigger market.

Reaction Score
Georgetown is a better situation than Providence. They pay better, have a better NIL situation, and are in a massively bigger market.
Are you basing it all on their future NIL $$$ possibilities? If so, I can see that. But as far as the past 15 years, Georgetown is pretty irrelevant. DC or no DC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So where have they been? Are you basing it all on their future NIL $$$ possibilities? If so, I can see that. But as far as the past 15 years, Georgetown is pretty irrelevant. DC or no DC.

No, I'm saying that Georgetown is a better situation than a Providence based on the reasons I already laid out.

And they will be irrelevant about as long as UConn was when Kevin Ollie was steering the ship into an iceberg.

There is way too much going for Georgetown for them to remain this way. It only takes the right hire.

Reaction Score
Also, Cooley made more than Ewing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230311_213517_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230311_213517_Samsung Internet.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope Cooley goes to Georgetown because it would be beautiful to witness the complete meltdown that Providence fans would have. Also, a good and relevant GTown program is far more valuable to the BE than a good Providence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom