new coaches for georgetown & st. john’s. thoughts? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

new coaches for georgetown & st. john’s. thoughts?

Reaction Score
Like UNC and Duke, Georgetown is a national brand. Everybody talks about the Hoyas even out here on the West Coast.

No one out here gives a * about Providence.

It’s absolutely a much better job than Providence.

He can take that brand as far as any major brand in the country.

Those on here saying it’s not a good job are either 15 years old or absolutely clueless

Reaction Score
Georgetown is an elite private up there with the Ivies, Notre Dame, Stanford, Vandy, Northwestern. You can't compare PC to Georgetown. Georgetown's endowment is far larger than all of the other Big East members. The right coach would bring Georgetown back and be paid extremely well for his efforts. It's a no-brainer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
would be a shame for Cooley to leave PC, guess his loyalty gets tested
That Sucks The Kid Mero GIF by Desus & Mero

Reaction Score
Like UNC and Duke, Georgetown is a national brand. Everybody talks about the Hoyas even out here on the West Coast.

Those on here saying it’s not a good job are either 15 years old or absolutely clueless

Georgetown is an elite private up there with the Ivies, Notre Dame, Stanford, Vandy, Northwestern. You can't compare PC to Georgetown. Georgetown's endowment is far larger than all of the other Big East members. The right coach would bring Georgetown back and be paid extremely well for his efforts. It's a no-brainer.

Thank you.

Reaction Score
Is there a previous connection with Cooley and gtown or JT3 or something? Curious why he was so quickly linked
He was very close friends with John Thompson and his son for a long time. JT looked out for Ed Cooley and spoke to him frequently giving him advice on the coaching profession. When Shaheen Holloway was coaching at St. Peter’s last year and they played Providence last year the announcers stated Cooley told Shaheen many years ago that he could call him anytime for advice on the coaching profession. Cooley stated it was his way of paying it forward because John Thompson was very supportive of him in the same way.

Reaction Score
I never thought he’d leave providence because he’s from there and spoke from the heart about how much it meant for him to be there.
It’s one thing to leave but to go to stay in the conference? Damn. Get security cuz those friars fans are gonna be throwing two dollar beer cans at him all game.

Reaction Score
I never thought he’d leave providence because he’s from there and spoke from the heart about how much it meant for him to be there.
It’s one thing to leave but to go to stay in the conference? Damn. Get security cuz those friars fans are gonna be throwing two dollar beer cans at him all game.
I live in Boston and I went to the UConn-PC game in Providence this year. I would consider going to the GTwon-Providence game if Cooley takes the GTown job- the atmosphere would be so intense.

Reaction Score
So if Cooley is gone who can we steal from PC?

Carter, Floyd? LOL. JK kinda.
If Cooley does go to GTown it would be interesting to see how GTown’s roster will change and how Providence’s roster will change. Which PC players would he take to GTown?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Would be really cool to see Georgetown be good again. It’s not too long ago since OPJ was a NPOY candidate there. They’ve just been bad since the Big East separated.

Idk how some of y’all are reaching to make the job comparable to providence. Nobody cares if Providence goes to a sweet 16. If he brings GTown back he’d be considered one of the best coaches in the country and the recruiting their would be way easier.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Why would you think that? No local ties, jumped to a better spot more than once. Dan looks out for Dan, and that’s ok
There’s not much better you can do after UConn unless you’re going to the NBA.

Reaction Score
would be a shame for Cooley to leave PC, guess his loyalty gets tested

We were lucky with Jim, and I think Dan is cut from the same cloth
For no reason other than to poke fun I was thinking zo dikembe or ai

Reaction Score
Cooley leaving would explain PC’s late season swoon.

Re Pitino and PC. I don’t think it is s out of the question. Lexington and Louisville are secondary cities much like Providence and he would own the town. That’s not true at St. John’s and NIL would be a problem at either. And re not moving… he could keep his NY place regardless and buy a great second home in RI without blinking.

Reaction Score

I agree Gtown has more money to spend, if they want to, and a better basketball name. But they are not even close to UNC and Duke currently in national brand. I can't see how you defend that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Serious question, would Bobby Hurley be open to a Providence/Georgetown/St. John’s job? Not sure if any of those programs would be interested nor do I have any idea on his status is out in Tempe but that just seems like a tough place to win. Obviously Hurley has massive ties to the Northeast/NYC. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
Serious question, would Bobby Hurley be open to a Providence/Georgetown/St. John’s job? Not sure if any of those programs would be interested nor do I have any idea on his status is out in Tempe but that just seems like a tough place to win. Obviously Hurley has massive ties to the Northeast/NYC. Just a thought.
I’d prefer he stay out of the BE for the sake of the family. Syracuse would have been a good choice in my opinion-even BCU.

Reaction Score
If Rick Pitino and a coach like Micah Shrewsberry come to these two schools, wow will the Big East have the best collection of college coaches or what? Miller, McDermott, Smart, DH, Cooley, Matta, Pitino and Shrewsberry. And 2 more relatively unproven but highly promising coaches in Holloway and Neptune (who I’m giving a pass for this year given the injuries). There’s a lot of personality and culture (along with winning) in this group, kinda reminiscent of the old Big East days.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Plot twist. What if Cooley goes to Georgetown and then PC scoops up Pitino?
Pitino would choose St. John’s over peecee

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom