new coaches for georgetown & st. john’s. thoughts? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

new coaches for georgetown & st. john’s. thoughts?

caw

Reaction Score
No thanks. I do have to admit, this situation has a bit of shadenfloyd to it.

I was kidding on Floyd, not so much on Carter.

I do think Floyd will be a good player eventually. He has a good shot, is strong and pretty athletic. Not to mention he seems to buy in on defense. However, he has shown zero ability to get to the rim and zero ability to dribble the ball, or make anything beyond a basic pass. Not saying he can't, but he definitely has not shown it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I was kidding on Floyd, not so much on Carter.

I do think Floyd will be a good player eventually. He has a good shot, is strong and pretty athletic. Not to mention he seems to buy in on defense. However, he has shown zero ability to get to the rim and zero ability to dribble the ball, or make anything beyond a basic pass. Not saying he can't, but he definitely has not shown it.
Floyd played some nice minutes in 2nd half Thursday. He was a big part of pc’s run

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hope Cooley goes to Georgetown because it would be beautiful to witness the complete meltdown that Providence fans would have. Also, a good and relevant GTown program is far more valuable to the BE than a good Providence.
If it happens we'll get to see how this quote from Cooley about UConn fans plays out with Friar fans.

"This fan base is extremely spoiled. Appreciate winning. appreciate that. There's a reason why them dudes are in the Hall of Fame, on the men’s and women’s side. Don't get arrogant with it, appreciate it, and try to get the next one. That's what an educated fan base appreciates and that's what the Friars do,"

And then there's the Corey Floyd situation.

Reaction Score
I think Georgetown will hire Penn State's coach. Georgetown is not an attractive job, but Penn State is a football school and has never been successful in men's basketball. It would be a decent move for him for visibility and then if he succeeds he can get a better job. Georgetown is not a step up for Cooley.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Given todays society I’m not surprised. But I think Cooley is staying put, he’s in a good position with a few good recruits coming in.

Say what you want but Georgetown will be a rebuild - and I don’t think rebuilding with the portal every year is a good recipe for building a program. Cooley knows that.

Reaction Score

McNamara actually said that Georgetown has not contacted Providence (not Cooley):

-> Asked about the truth of any connection between another school and his long-time coach, Napolillo said neither he nor PC President Rev. Kenneth Sicard has been contacted by anyone from Georgetown.

“The Big East Conference has always been built on respect and integrity,” Napolillo said. “We’ve always operated that if another institution is going to contact or speak with a coach within the conference that there would be open communication between schools. Father Sicard and I have not received any communication from Georgetown. It is our intention that Coach Cooley is going to be our coach for the foreseeable future.” <-

Reaction Score
I hope Cooley stays put at PC since I like the New England rivalry with them. That can only be maintained if both teams are good and their fan bases are following them and somewhat loathe each other. The rivalry can't be maintained or grow if PC falls back to irrelevance like they were in the Keno Davis years and if the AMP is only getting a few thousand fans, no UConn fan will even care about beating PC.

Having said all that, I always thought Cooley going to Georgetown was media fabrication for getting clicks, and maybe it turns out that is the case, but this story doesn't seem so easy to dismiss now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope Cooley goes to Georgetown because it would be beautiful to witness the complete meltdown that Providence fans would have. Also, a good and relevant GTown program is far more valuable to the BE than a good Providence.
They are already melting down on Friar Talk.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cooley not leaving PC unless a P5 calls with some huge
Those who think Gtown is not an attractive option are crazy and have no appreciation for the OBE. But it’s not an option for someone like Cooley McDermott or Smart but a decent option for a proven coach who wants to rebuild a program with name recognition. St John’s may be harder sell except for an established coach with a less than stellar reputation. I feel a young coach with strong NBA connections could do well at St John’s and get someone and dones and xfer portal talent.

Reaction Score
Cooley not leaving PC unless a P5 calls with some huge
Those who think Gtown is not an attractive option are crazy and have no appreciation for the OBE. But it’s not an option for someone like Cooley McDermott or Smart but a decent option for a proven coach who wants to rebuild a program with name recognition. St John’s may be harder sell except for an established coach with a less than stellar reputation. I feel a young coach with strong NBA connections could do well at St John’s and get someone and dones and xfer portal talent.
McDermott to ND would not be a shocker for a mid-western oriented coach.

Reaction Score
Lol! Fair. I just have never met a Providence fan out here or even anyone sporting their gear. I have met plenty of Hoya fans and see Georgetown gear all the time.

Not much UConn out here either but I have seen some.

Reaction Score
I agree Gtown has more money to spend, if they want to, and a better basketball name. But they are not even close to UNC and Duke currently in national brand. I can't see how you defend that.
Currently, yes , I agree.

But the Georgetown brand at its ceiling, is just as high. I’m not talking wins and losses. I’m talking marketable brand.

There are major pop songs that mention the Hoyas. They are synonymous with college basketball and black culture. JT and AI have done wonders for marketing their brand.

To pretend they are not a major brand is silly

Reaction Score
Lol! Fair. I just have never met a Providence fan out here or even anyone sporting their gear. I have met plenty of Hoya fans and see Georgetown gear all the time.

Not much UConn out here either but I have seen some.
I see enough UConn gear here in Boston, not a lot, but it's not rare either. When I wear my UConn gear and I talk to people they instantly recognize and tie high level basketball to UConn men and women's program. I remember about 13 years ago a friend of mine who graduated from UConn in 1999 would go into job interviews on the east coast and on the west coast and the interviewer would see "University of Connecticut" on their resume and they would reply "UConn, huh? Their really good at basketball".

Interesting fact when looking at your avatar, my wife is from California and when she was my girlfriend we visited her cousins in Seattle in 2015. I proposed to her at the top of the Seattle Space Needle.

Reaction Score
If anything Cooley will be able to squeeze out a raise or contract extension due to the possibility of him leaving. Always have to wonder where these rumors originate from.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or did he?
2FBDF760-C6E9-46CC-B434-CA7A97A72336.jpeg

The only problem is the supposed mansion is actually in North Carolina:
5A9FA294-858D-4730-868F-D5D6AEA88B21.jpeg

* Credit to the guy on Friar Talk who actually figured that out.

Reaction Score
Pitino to St John's. If he goes there I think they will be able to get the best of the transfer portal and gain some respectability and then hire a younger coach after two or three years for the long term. All dependent on putting some bucks into the program and facilities

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m sure it is and really not a long drive from DC on a long weekend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom