new coaches for georgetown & st. john’s. thoughts? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

new coaches for georgetown & st. john’s. thoughts?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If Cooley does go to GTown it would be interesting to see how GTown’s roster will change and how Providence’s roster will change. Which PC players would he take to GTown?
If Cooley goes to Georgetown, I hope he flames out. Transferring within the conference speaks to a certain lack of humble appreciation, verging on arrogant & spoiled perhaps.
I would take Carter
A good place to weigh in with my thought that he's either a 5th sweathog, or what Juan Epstein might look like a few years out of high school with his hair styled differently and some ink.
Screenshot_20230309-162304.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cooley would be crazy to go to Georgetown. He is doing great in Providence and I hope he continues to do great. It’s better for the conference.

Mike Brey or the guy from Penn St will go to Georgetown and hopefully turn things around. The conference is better when Georgetown is good

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm glad you got the sentence you quoted in correct good faith.

I didn't like Chris Beard moving from TTech to Austin either, even with him having gone to UT and the school's pending conference shift, which had not yet been announced.

Fact is, I truly didn't/don't know enough to know that he wouldn't do it. I'd just really wish that it wouldn't be true, which adds up to my admitting ignorance and hoping you're right, without doubting you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What? I’m sure Ed is entirely content being at a small college in the smallest state in the union. I’m sure he would never want to go to the nation’s capital and coach one of the marquee teams in the Big East. I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you. Really, what would worrying do anyway?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, I’m sure PC fans can take a lot of comfort in this interview:

Cooley clearly says that he is worried about Kentucky.

Of course, he repeatedly refused to deny that he’s in talks with Georgetown or that he wouldn’t leave PC, but that was probably just an oversight.

Reaction Score
I think Georgetown will hire Penn State's coach. Georgetown is not an attractive job, but Penn State is a football school and has never been successful in men's basketball. It would be a decent move for him for visibility and then if he succeeds he can get a better job. Georgetown is not a step up for Cooley.
In the world of the Power Two, coaches don’t leave a Big Ten school. Forget about the past. Too many changes have happened. Too much money and too many resources for a coach in the B1G. And why take on a major rebuilding project at a program that has only had 1 winning season in the past 8 years when he’s already a couple of years into his current building project? This isn’t the 1980s. The Georgetown brand isn’t what it once was - especially to an 18 year old recruit who’s never seen a successful Georgetown team.

Reaction Score
Cooley might be an admirer of JT II, but if he does move to Georgetown, he probably shouldn’t hope for help recruiting from Ewing. :D

Reaction Score
Are you basing it all on their future NIL $$$ possibilities? If so, I can see that. But as far as the past 15 years, Georgetown is pretty irrelevant. DC or no DC.
And they suck

Reaction Score
He jumped from Wagner to URI to UConn. Normal progression for a coach.
There just aren't many steps up from UConn either that will be (a) hiring and (b) hiring outside of their own legend's coaching tree. He's an alum from a smaller, less successful school than UConn and schools like UK or UNC aren't knocking on the door unless he's had much more success than he's had here—and their coaches flame out.

Reaction Score
Well, I’m sure PC fans can take a lot of comfort in this interview:

Cooley clearly says that he is worried about Kentucky.

Of course, he repeatedly refused to deny that he’s in talks with Georgetown or that he wouldn’t leave PC, but that was probably just an oversight.

A simple ‘no’ would be fine.

1678759244294.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom