Merry Christmas Music/albums any genre | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Merry Christmas Music/albums any genre

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Funny you mention her; I was going to mention her to @Deepster the other day because her backing band, the Dap-tones, were the same guys who backed Amy Winehouse, and I know he loves that retro soul sound, too

Amy Winehouse, carrying on the tradition of Irving Berlin of Jews putting out classic Christmas music :p

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You seem to have some idea that I hate a lot of things without warrant. There really isn't much I actually hate. Lack of discernment would be up there. And cauliflower.
I can only go by your actions on this bored (and the old cesspool), the vast majority of which are consumed by things you hate. It's why I dubbed you a hipster for several years. You chafed at it so I know I hit a nerve; but the reality is that you spend a lot more time criticizing things you don't like than discussing things you do like (except for comedians who criticize things they don't like).

And that's okay. I know plenty of people like that. I can tend that way sometimes myself. And when I see it in others I try to temper my own tendencies as well, because I know that I am ultimately happier discussing things I like--even if it exposes me to criticism from those who prefer to criticize.

With or without warrant, lack of discernment or not; those are things you control, and I'm not interested in shell games.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ct guy drops this masterpiece long ago

still fun.

i really like the arrangement for this classic. when that salsa riff kicks in, it kinda feels like, well, this!
feliz-navidad-3-HR.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the movie "Diner", a running bit is "Sinatra or Mathis"? Of course everyone picks Sinatra. But if you limit it to just Christmas songs Mathis is the clear winner.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can only go by your actions on this bored (and the old cesspool), the vast majority of which are consumed by things you hate. It's why I dubbed you a hipster for several years. You chafed at it so I know I hit a nerve; but the reality is that you spend a lot more time criticizing things you don't like than discussing things you do like (except for comedians who criticize things they don't like).
For those keeping score, his contributions to this thread were "to take this thread in a different direction" by posting a song he hated, not wanting "to derail" this thread but making sure everyone knew he didn't like Amy Winehouse at all (while saying others gave him little choice), then taking you to task for having "some idea that I hate a lot of things without warrant.' Where would we get that idea? All in a Merry Christmas thread! I am hoping some folks get self-awareness in their stocking.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For those keeping score, his contributions to this thread were "to take this thread in a different direction" by posting a song he hated, not wanting "to derail" this thread but making sure everyone knew he didn't like Amy Winehouse at all (while saying others gave him little choice), then taking you to task for having "some idea that I hate a lot of things without warrant.' Where would we get that idea? All in a Merry Christmas thread! I am hoping some folks get self-awareness in their stocking.
a) Find the word "hate" in my Esquire post. I actually applaud the audacity of the one I posted, abhorrent or not. I do cringe at Macca's and EJ's efforts, however, as their histories prove they're both far better than those efforts.
b) I acknowledged Winehouse had talent. Just not "all that" as many critics and fans who do. And the idea of her doing a Christmas album is only slightly less strange than if it were a duet with Trent Reznor. Maybe I should look at it as comedy.
c) You forgot my first contribution was Roy Wood.

I wish everyone joy and happiness this Christmas season.

Reaction Score
a) Find the word "hate" in my Esquire post. I actually applaud the audacity of the one I posted, abhorrent or not. I do cringe at Macca's and EJ's efforts, however, as their histories prove they're both far better than those efforts.
b) I acknowledged Winehouse had talent. Just not "all that" as many critics and fans who do. And the idea of her doing a Christmas album is only slightly less strange than if it were a duet with Trent Reznor. Maybe I should look at it as comedy.
c) You forgot my first contribution was Roy Wood.

I wish everyone joy and happiness this Christmas season.
Ok! Let's get back on track here, rails have been, should I say repaired?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'when leroy got to the north pole,
all the reindeer snickered and laughed,
cuz they'd never seen a deer in overalls,
and a john deere tractor hat...'

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'the frame is bent,
the muffler went,
the radio it's ok.'

lighten up, some of youse, and count ur blessings.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is one of the least traditional Christmas songs and is still an all time classic. Some may find it too unpleasant for the season. I tend to let it remind me that yes, even on Christmas Eve there is an old man in the drunk tank that won‘t live a year, and others who are unhappy or suffering. So be kind and generous. That’s what it’s all about after all.

Reaction Score
Funny you mention her; I was going to mention her to @Deepster the other day because her backing band, the Dap-tones, were the same guys who backed Amy Winehouse, and I know he loves that retro soul sound, too.

I loved her. Her death after her initial recovery during her struggle with cancer was tragic. I was fortunate to see her a few times and she always brought it.
You got me again nailed again, 8893. Big fan of Sharon Jones too. I’m a sucker for that sound.

Reaction Score
I don't want to derail this thread, but you guys and Deepster are giving me little choice. Few things say less about Christmas spirit than AW. I found her to be an over-hyped critics' darling. Yes, she had some talent as a singer-songwriter, but I find her legacy of being some "amazing artist" silly. Or that there wouldn't have been Adele or even GaGa without her. She came along at a time that mostly devoid of unique talent and stood out in an otherwise unremarkable crowd. But she wasn't a culturally significant artist like most others in the 27 Club, and for me, she doesn't belong there.

Also not a fan of Mark Ronson, but that's a different thread.

You gave your opinions, I just gave mine. No need to respond although I'm sure you will. However, I'm not alone.
Your opinion obviously doesn’t change mine one bit and you’re welcome to it.

For the record, Bing Crosby beat the crap out of his kids and they still play White Christmas every year so if you’re gonna be the Morality Police, you should be consistent and denounce him as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Being a Christian, I like to remember the "Reason for the Season," and Bruce Cockburn's "Cry of a Tiny Babe" is a modern retelling that always does a good job of that for me:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For the record, Bing Crosby beat the crap out of his kids and they still play White Christmas every year so if you’re gonna be the Morality Police, you should be consistent and denounce him as well.
Wth does that have to do with anything I posted? I kept my comments strictly to talent relative to others of different eras while noting the period. Cripes what a Nelson-like overreaction.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Being a Christian, I like to remember the "Reason for the Season,"
So, I have a Christmas playlist on my old 160 GB iPod that I have curated over the years, adding a few more songs each year. I am up to 421 songs now and I keep it plugged into my car and play it on shuffle. In keeping with this theme, this one popped up today on my drive in, right after the Cockburn song I posted above:

Reaction Score
Wth does that have to do with anything I posted? I kept my comments strictly to talent relative to others of different eras while noting the period. Cripes what a Nelson-like overreaction.
I don't want to derail this thread, but you guys and Deepster are giving me little choice. Few things say less about Christmas spirit than AW. I found her to be an over-hyped critics' darling. Yes, she had some talent as a singer-songwriter, but I find her legacy of being some "amazing artist" silly.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
And?

Let's look at the hits:
Back to Black, Rehab, Feck Me Pumps, You Know I'm No Good, Wake Up Alone, etc. Hey, let's do a Muppet kids album with those!

Lots of lawyers on the BY to help you construct an argument. Or figure out if you even have one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom