Merry Christmas Music/albums any genre | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Merry Christmas Music/albums any genre

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'and remember all the kids who got nothing as you're drinking down the wine...'

merry xmas! be thankful! give some charity!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We tend to go with a lot of the classics, Sinatra, Mathis, Conniff etc. My wife uses some to decorate the stairway (wreath nearby). We also have an unreleased Christmas compilation album of more modern tunes that was issued to/for DJs. It has many of the songs on this list, Kinks, Waitresses etc.

264996162_10221928625025317_112744052728479429_n.jpg

Reaction Score
We tend to go with a lot of the classics, Sinatra, Mathis, Conniff etc. My wife uses some to decorate the stairway (wreath nearby). We also have an unreleased Christmas compilation album of more modern tunes that was issued to/for DJs. It has many of the songs on this list, Kinks, Waitresses etc.

View attachment 71830
Very cool! Enjoy the holidays...

Reaction Score

View attachment 71830

A Charlie Brown Christmas is a must in our house.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
To take this thread in a different direction, Esquire outdid themselves this year with their compilation of the worst Christmas songs ever. I'm happy they recognized McCartney's trainwreck as #1, but disappointed they missed the almost equally vile Elton John contribution.

There were a few here I'd never heard of (and are simply demanding to be listened to, like Iggy Pop). But the one I'll post below is simply so abhorrent, it's in a class of its own (yet still more tuneful than McCartney's).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This remains a great tune. The making of video is a fun watch, especially where Bono says "I'll sing any line but that one" and Bob says "that's what I want you to sing". He made the right call. Also good to recall just how great Boy George's voice is.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is one of my favorite Christmas songs. Many have recorded it, including Bing, Andy Williams, Whitney Houston and Carrie Underwood. That said, to me this is the definitive version and arrangement. Celtic Women also did a knockout version, the song really shines with multiple vocalists. If you aren't familiar with the Harry Simeone Choir and appreciate Christmas music with a full choir and orchestra, check them out, the albums are great.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
To take this thread in a different direction, Esquire outdid themselves this year with their compilation of the worst Christmas songs ever. I'm happy they recognized McCartney's trainwreck as #1, but disappointed they missed the almost equally vile Elton John contribution.

There were a few here I'd never heard of (and are simply demanding to be listened to, like Iggy Pop). But the one I'll post below is simply so abhorrent, it's in a class of its own (yet still more tuneful than McCartney's).

It's so bad the youtube link not playing anything. We can do with out, the Iggy Pop one is horrid.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I loved that one, but I think the late, great Sharon Jones topped it with this tune

Funny you mention her; I was going to mention her to @Deepster the other day because her backing band, the Dap-tones, were the same guys who backed Amy Winehouse, and I know he loves that retro soul sound, too.

I loved her. Her death after her initial recovery during her struggle with cancer was tragic. I was fortunate to see her a few times and she always brought it.

Reaction Score
Funny you mention her; I was going to mention her to @Deepster the other day because her backing band, the Dap-tones, were the same guys who backed Amy Winehouse, and I know he loves that retro soul sound, too.

I loved her. Her death after her initial recovery during her struggle with cancer was tragic. I was fortunate to see her a few times and she always brought it.
One of those rare artists that are few and far between. Such a unique artist loved her too and you were so fortunate to see such an artist. Must of been some show.

Reaction Score

Got rocks in my head
I wish I was dead...

If someone were to ask my wife what my favorite Christmas song is, I have a strange suspicion that she would say "Xmas in Jail". I do like it quite a bit, that's for sure. Asleep at the Wheel has a version of that song on their album "Merry Texas Christmas, Y'all", and I do like playing that album during the holiday season.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
a dance craze, too. i'll bet ol jose from westport never saw that coming.

pay attention to the dance steps. there'll be a quiz.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
One of those rare artists that are few and far between. Such a unique artist loved her too and you were so fortunate to see such an artist. Must of been some show.
I don't want to derail this thread, but you guys and Deepster are giving me little choice. Few things say less about Christmas spirit than AW. I found her to be an over-hyped critics' darling. Yes, she had some talent as a singer-songwriter, but I find her legacy of being some "amazing artist" silly. Or that there wouldn't have been Adele or even GaGa without her. She came along at a time that mostly devoid of unique talent and stood out in an otherwise unremarkable crowd. But she wasn't a culturally significant artist like most others in the 27 Club, and for me, she doesn't belong there.

Also not a fan of Mark Ronson, but that's a different thread.

You gave your opinions, I just gave mine. No need to respond although I'm sure you will. However, I'm not alone.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't want to derail this thread, but you guys and Deepster are giving me little choice. Few things say less about Christmas spirit than AW. I found her to be an over-hyped critics' darling. Yes, she had some talent as a singer-songwriter, but I find her legacy of being some "amazing artist" silly. Or that there wouldn't have been Adele or even GaGa without her. She came along at a time that mostly devoid of unique talent and stood out in an otherwise unremarkable crowd. But she wasn't a culturally significant artist like most others in the 27 Club, and for me, she doesn't belong there.

Also not a fan of Mark Ronson, but that's a different thread.

You gave your opinions, I just gave mine. No need to respond although I'm sure you will. However, I'm not alone.
Um, we were discussing Sharon Jones--at least I was--not Amy Winehouse.

But I'm sure you can find something you hate about her, too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Um, we were discussing Sharon Jones--at least I was--not Amy Winehouse.

But I'm sure you can find something you hate about her, too.
My apologies then. So I guess I'm only P.O.'d at Deepster then.

You seem to have some idea that I hate a lot of things without warrant. There really isn't much I actually hate. Lack of discernment would be up there. And cauliflower.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom