Luxury Watches | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Luxury Watches

Reaction Score
I'm interested in getting a lower end entry level watch.

Not at a Rolex level, but ready to wear something nice. I'm thinking of a Baltic, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Tissot, Orient, Citizen, etc.

I'd like to know what the watch snobs think and thanks.

Reaction Score
You’re looking at it as something I consciously bought to earn money. I didn’t. What object that you own that you’ve worn for 20 years and beaten up is still increasing in value?

Of course, it's a collector's item, not a consumable like clothes. Others have referred to them as "great investments", which is debatable.

You don't need to convince me. I spent 12 years in the industry. But in comparison to other collectors' items like fine jewelry, art, etc. watches don't stand out in terms of their investment potential. Buy them because you like them -- the fact that they hold their value is a bonus.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
My former boss gave me a Rolex Submariner as a bonus/gift 15 or so years ago and while I wear it for special occasions, nice dinners, weddings, etc, it’s not really ‘me’. I also drunkenly made an impulse buy of a $100 all-matte black MVMT few years ago which I actually prefer to the Rolex.
I have a couple MVMT watches that were purchased for me as gifts, they look nice and tell time, and while I am not a "watch" guy I do know they do not qualify as luxury watches even if they are owned by Movado and their website says they are. I at least know I can wear it to work in the industrial manufacturing facilities I visit and not have to worry about it getting destroyed.

Watches are funny, I have a $300 automatic watch with wood inlays that looks great, but is definitely not luxury and to me at $300 is expensive, but others would say that is a cheap watch. To each his own on expensive watches, I know I spend money on things others would say is a waste, mainly shoes (deadstock Jordans and Nike Dunks, which I will occasionally resell once the price is where I like it). I agree with the statement somebody made about quality leather shoes (price does not always indicate quality). I wear them everyday for work and typically get them resoled every few years. Some I have had for close to 10 years and they look brand new and are extremely comfortable.

Reaction Score
So judge a book by its cover.
Lol. As a full grown adult, you should have one well fitted suit you can wear to formal events. Doesn’t need to be expensive, just have it fit. And even worse, if you show up to a formal event in casual attire, I’m definitely judging; it’s a sign of disrespect

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I have a couple MVMT watches that were purchased for me as gifts, they look nice and tell time, and while I am not a "watch" guy I do know they do not qualify as luxury watches even if they are owned by Movado and their website says they are. I at least know I can wear it to work in the industrial manufacturing facilities I visit and not have to worry about it getting destroyed.

Watches are funny, I have a $300 automatic watch with wood inlays that looks great, but is definitely not luxury and to me at $300 is expensive, but others would say that is a cheap watch. To each his own on expensive watches, I know I spend money on things others would say is a waste, mainly shoes (deadstock Jordans and Nike Dunks, which I will occasionally resell once the price is where I like it). I agree with the statement somebody made about quality leather shoes (price does not always indicate quality). I wear them everyday for work and typically get them resoled every few years. Some I have had for close to 10 years and they look brand new and are extremely comfortable.
Johnston & Murphy shoes were staples in my closet but I’ve moved from corporate America to a smaller privately owned firm where the principals roll in wearing jeans, sweatshirts, sneakers, etc. so while I still have the nice JM shoes, I’ve moved on to the Wolf & Shepherds that Gronk pushes for my everyday work wear and they go with everything including suits for the right occasion.

Anyway I do like my MVMT despite it not being luxury and get compliments on it all the time.

Reaction Score
It's human nature. I work in technical sales and wouldn't dream of dressing as casually as most do these days. I never wear a tie but I have a sport coat on most days. It matters.

You don't have to wear expensive clothes but at least look professional in a coherent, well-fitting outfit.
You don’t have to wear expensive clothes in a thread about luxury watches.

You sound materialistic. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Lol. As a full grown adult, you should have one well fitted suit you can wear to formal events. Doesn’t need to be expensive, just have it fit. And even worse, if you show up to a formal event in casual attire, I’m definitely judging; it’s a sign of disrespect
Again. Is this thread about being judged by your Rolex and luxury watch? Or having one suit in your closet that fits? Pick a lane.

Reaction Score
25 years ago, my attitude toward shoes was completely transformed by being properly fitted to well-made comfort footwear, pretty much settling on Ecco for any shoes with laces.

My black, cap toe dress shoes have been perfectly fine for weddings, funerals, and court appearances. I no longer own any leather-soled shoes.
Take care of two things it will make life easier as you age
Your Feet
Your Teeth
Good shoes and dental hygiene will save you pain and money .
i‘ve also incorporated
annual Wellness exam with blood work
Also
Urological exam
Since my old boss got his life saved by a routine dermatologic exam I‘ve added that.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Johnston & Murphy shoes were staples in my closet but I’ve moved from corporate America to a smaller privately owned firm where the principals roll in wearing jeans, sweatshirts, sneakers, etc. so while I still have the nice JM shoes, I’ve moved on to the Wolf & Shepherds that Gronk pushes for my everyday work wear and they go with everything including suits for the right occasion.

Anyway I do like my MVMT despite it not being luxury and get compliments on it all the time.
Same. I always get compliments on the MVMT watches when I wear them. I was not trying to put down the watch because it's not "luxury". I like them and that's all that matters.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The suit isn’t on life support in the sense it’s never going to die but certainly it’s never going to be what it was even 4 years ago—much less 10, 20 or 50. I think we’re all on the same page that an actual watch pairs much better with business formal clothes—I’d say business casual too—than an Apple Watch. It just does. I appreciate a lot of people don’t care what they look like.

Tech billionaires dress like dorks for the most part.

Give me a billion dollars and I’ve got Kendall Roy’s wardrobe, not Zuckerberg’s.
Give me a billion dollars and you never see me in anything dressier than a casual Tommy Bahama shirt, casual pants or shorts and sneakers. Hell, give me 4 million and that's true. It's pretty close to true now.

Honestly, in a suit or even jacket and dress shirt, more often than not nobody can see your watch. The Apple watch tells me when my meetings are, when I get a text and reminds me that my heart rate is elevated for no good reason when UConn is in a close game late.

Aside from ECCO, I really like the comfortable somewhat dressy (at least stylish) shoes from Pikolinos in Spain. Wearing the Avila's (Maybe Berna's?) now because I had to go to the executive briefing center.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not a watch guy, I haven't worn one in years, but after reading this thread I'm curious what the watch gurus consider the cost of a "low end luxury watch", a "luxury watch", and a "high end luxury watch". Where approximately are those price points?

It's more difficult to define since taste, rarity, history all come into play along with price. I have a 1 of 100 limited edition from a microbrand that only serious watch nerds would accurately recognize. Cost me about $600, but people comment on it way more than my Rolex, even fancy watch people. Is that luxury? I know I'm never selling it.

I personally look at price groupings as follows (mechanical watches)
Under $500 - entry level mechanicals
$500-1000 - lots of quality options here
$1000-2000 - some good some crap in this range. Bit of a DMZ in terms of quality
$2000-5000 - entry level "luxury"
$5000-20000 - mainstream "luxury" most of your known brands live here.
Over 20k - same as previous group but with fancy metals and exclusives
Over 50k - redonkulousness

What most of the general public consider luxury starts around 5k but you can still pick up quite a nice watch with a good deal of cred at almost any price. Anything over $1000 will have the smartwatch crowd questioning your sanity.

If you spend any time on watch centric boards like watchuseek ot r/watches, you can follow what people are buying. Chrono24 is the place to search for brands/models.

Reaction Score
I need to add a nice skeleton watch to my collection. Any ideas?

To help the 'cell phoner's' follow along:

Types-of-watches-infographic-scaled.jpg

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Absolutely. When you hand it over to a mugger or car jacker.

Rumor has it that thr CIA issues Rolex Submariners to field agents as a means of bartering themselves out of tight spots.

Watches aren't targeted more than phones or any other flashy jewelry. Know your surroundings.

Reaction Score
Rumor has it that thr CIA issues Rolex Submariners to field agents as a means of bartering themselves out of tight spots.

Watches aren't targeted more than phones or any other flashy jewelry. Know your surroundings.
selling your Rolex is universally accepted as a way to get some cash in an emergency..,.....almost as good as gold.....

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Okay, on topic...

Unless i've missed it, there doesn't seem to be any mention of Vacheron Constantin in this thread yet.

The only watch of value that I own is a very understated steel VC that my mother gave as a birthday present to my father half a year after their marriage 76 years ago (it's engraved on the back).

I've always felt that knowing I had a 'good enough' watch with a meaningful backstory set me well for any full-dress fancy occasion, and otherwise 'insulated' me from ever considering the purchase of a luxury watch, which would neither fit my style or resources.

Similarly, I've always assumed that because it wasn't a precious metal, my watch wasn't particularly valuable, but this thread has piqued my interest.

Toward @SubbaBub, @UConn Esq, or anybody else who has an informed pov, what's a good recommendation toward getting more information and a better sense of what I have? I don't know the model or anything else, but a cursory Google look gives me the impression that it might now be worth quite a bit more than I've imagined.

I figure that I ought to at least know, especially with a daughter who would reflexively say, "Sell it, and give me the money," if I were to give her a heads up that it's among some things I've told her aren't just clutter to hastily discard when I move on from this earthly splendor.

I've very rarely worn the watch, though I do like it beyond its "my father's watch" status.

Some time in the late 90s, I sold a non-running Jaeger-LeCoultre reversing face watch (also from my father, but that felt gimmicky and way out of character for me), and used some of the money to have the Vacheron cleaned & such. Last night, I wound it for the first time in more than a decade. It's keeping correct time. It's a nice watch.

Kudos to @B1GEast for a good thread for the days leading up to the Gonzaga game.

If you know the brand/serial number you can probably google it. It not, people at watchuseek and r/watches may be able to help tell you more. In most cases, if the watch is beat to hell. It's probably not worth fixing/selling unless is some lofty grail watch. Personally, I don't collect vintage. Too many things can go wrong including counterfeits, Frankenwatches, or other major defects. Always buy the seller, not the watch is the mantra.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
a big mistake I see with many newer watch collectors (I plead guilty too) is that they get caught up buying a bunch of $500-$1k watches when they just could have saved up to buy one high-quality watch........

This is true, but it really depends on your goals. If your grail is $6000 watch, it doesn't make sense to settle for a $4000 watch.

However if your goal to build a collection there is nothing wrong with a box of versatile $500 watches.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Just don't let any watchmaker open it up and whatever you do don't get it cleaned/polished no matter how dusty or dirty it looks..........patina means a lot with older watches just like with antiques........

Yes, "restoration" is a tricky subject.

Reaction Score
This is true, but it really depends on your goals. If your grail is $6000 watch, it doesn't make sense to settle for a $4000 watch.

However if your goal to build a collection there is nothing wrong with a box of versatile $500 watches.
that's true but I can attest to the fact that many watch buyers trade up when the opportunity arises, and those inexpensive watches often end up as afterthoughts sitting in the old watch box.............I've got about ten watches priced between $400 -$4,000 that I rarely wear, and they add up to a fair amount of money that could have gone toward one or two really nice watches.......to each his/her own....

Reaction Score
To me a fine watch is a piece of art. I would, and it’s a bit risky, buy a used watch that was certified real, but that’s just me. I guess I think they built stuff better back when, not in all cases I know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom