Luxury Watches | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Luxury Watches

Reaction Score
I'm interested in getting a lower end entry level watch.

Not at a Rolex level, but ready to wear something nice. I'm thinking of a Baltic, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Tissot, Orient, Citizen, etc.

I'd like to know what the watch snobs think and thanks.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah, I welcomed the trend to dressy sneaker soled shoes honestly. Anything with leather soles is a torture chamber for my feet. Can't even wear them anymore. I agree spending on shoes can help. My Ecco casual/dress shoes will be more comfortable and last longer than Nunn Bush from DSW. Just like my $130 running shoes beat the $60 ones and my Ecco golf shoes are amazing. Quality is real, I just don't link it to fancy brands (to your point with Gucci).
25 years ago, my attitude toward shoes was completely transformed by being properly fitted to well-made comfort footwear, pretty much settling on Ecco for any shoes with laces.

My black, cap toe dress shoes have been perfectly fine for weddings, funerals, and court appearances. I no longer own any leather-soled shoes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I no longer drive, carry more than 20 bucks on me, or wear a watch. Just one credit card and a switch blade. Getting two cars stolen in a year and having my neighbors robbed at gunpoint changes things.
Chicago still isn't Sao Paulo. The owner of the car company we use there (can't trust cabs) explained the basics. No cash, no watch that looked expensive (even a fake), no fancy suits and if your car is German or a luxury brand it needs to be armored. His fleet was all Hyundai Azerras. He drove me down a street that must have had a dozen armored car shops in 4-5 blocks. The houses in a nice neighborhood had 10 foot walls topped with razor wire and cameras.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I no longer drive, carry more than 20 bucks on me, or wear a watch. Just one credit card and a switch blade. Getting two cars stolen in a year and having my neighbors robbed at gunpoint changes things.
With all due respect, what are your thoughts on that "bringing a knife to a gunfight" thing?

Reaction Score
If your job requires you to project authority or respect or competency and you don't have a specific uniform that projects that for you (ala police officer), then I think expensive fashion can be a means to an end.

It's not an accident that so many lawyers are talking about watches in this thread. Their job is to be persuasive in court/with clients and appear competent in sales. Same with higher level or luxury sales jobs or business managers.

Or if you're in the courting stage of life (or have a partner that prioritizes your fashion as part of their own happiness), that makes sense to me, too.

Otherwise, just collecting watches to me is like hoarding bars of wearable gold. Watch-making or watch-maintaining seem like interesting hobbies, though.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Okay, on topic...

Unless i've missed it, there doesn't seem to be any mention of Vacheron Constantin in this thread yet.

The only watch of value that I own is a very understated steel VC that my mother gave as a birthday present to my father half a year after their marriage 76 years ago (it's engraved on the back).

I've always felt that knowing I had a 'good enough' watch with a meaningful backstory set me well for any full-dress fancy occasion, and otherwise 'insulated' me from ever considering the purchase of a luxury watch, which would neither fit my style or resources.

Similarly, I've always assumed that because it wasn't a precious metal, my watch wasn't particularly valuable, but this thread has piqued my interest.

Toward @SubbaBub, @UConn Esq, or anybody else who has an informed pov, what's a good recommendation toward getting more information and a better sense of what I have? I don't know the model or anything else, but a cursory Google look gives me the impression that it might now be worth quite a bit more than I've imagined.

I figure that I ought to at least know, especially with a daughter who would reflexively say, "Sell it, and give me the money," if I were to give her a heads up that it's among some things I've told her aren't just clutter to hastily discard when I move on from this earthly splendor.

I've very rarely worn the watch, though I do like it beyond its "my father's watch" status.

Some time in the late 90s, I sold a non-running Jaeger-LeCoultre reversing face watch (also from my father, but that felt gimmicky and way out of character for me), and used some of the money to have the Vacheron cleaned & such. Last night, I wound it for the first time in more than a decade. It's keeping correct time. It's a nice watch.

Kudos to @B1GEast for a good thread for the days leading up to the Gonzaga game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okay, on topic...

Unless i've missed it, there doesn't seem to be any mention of Vacheron Constantin in this thread yet.

The only watch of value that I own is a very understated steel VC that my mother gave as a birthday present to my father half a year after their marriage 76 years ago (it's engraved on the back).

I've always felt that knowing I had a 'good enough' watch with a meaningful backstory set me well for any full-dress fancy occasion, and otherwise 'insulated' me from ever considering the purchase of a luxury watch, which would neither fit my style or resources.

I've always assumed that because it wasn't a precious metal, my watch wasn't particularly valuable, but this thread has piqued my interest.

Toward @SubbaBub, @UConn Esq, or anybody else who has an informed pov, what's a good recommendation toward getting more information and a better sense of what I have? I don't know the model or anything else, but a cursory Google look gives me the impression that it might now be worth quite a bit more than I've imagined.

I figure that I ought to at least know, especially with a daughter who would reflexively say, "Sell it, and give me the money," if I were to give her a heads up that it's among some things I've told her aren't just clutter to hastily discard when I move on from this earthly splendor.

I've very rarely worn the watch, though I do like it beyond its "my father's watch" status.

Some time in the late 90s, I sold a non-running Jaeger-LeCoultre reversing face watch (also from my father, but that felt gimmicky and way out of character for me), and used some of the money to have the Vacheron cleaned & such. Last night, I wound it for the first time in more than a decade. It's keeping correct time. It's a nice watch.

Kudos to @B1GEast for a good thread for the days leading up to the Gonzaga game.
I’m certainly not in the know like some people on this thread would be so hopefully they can chime in for you. But, a good place you could start is probably the Vacheron subreddit (Reddit.com/r/vacheronconstantin). Make a post on there with detailed pictures and ask for more information about what you have. I’m always amazed how much information people can provide on Reddit. I bet there are some people on that subreddit that can help and would know more specific details about your watch. Once you know that information, it’ll probably be easier to know the actual value.

Reaction Score
I am now intrigued with watches and getting ads all over the place for brands I never even heard of. To me it is more about form than function what with smart phones and all. Who cares if you have to adjust it once in a while. We spend hours figuring out and changing settings on our smartphones. I'm surprised how much people are willing to spend because if you really like watches, you want a lot of them. So many different types and styles to choose from, it doesn't make sense to me spend big dollars on expensive watches. Unless you are filthy rich, of course.

I never really considered them as investments which also surprised me. I personally have no interest in buying a used watch, it seems kind of personal to me. I will say the actual design and creation of the watches really is amazing.

Reaction Score
Okay, on topic...

Similarly, I've always assumed that because it wasn't a precious metal, my watch wasn't particularly valuable, but this thread has piqued my interest.

Vacheron was not mentioned because it’s a grail watch and most people are not fortunate enough to be in the presence of a VC. I mean that sincerely. Part of the Trinity with Patek and AP, they are arguably the best watches made (and my personal favorite). Is there any number at all on the case back? I assume not since it was engraved. If not, it likely needs to be opened. There is a VC store in NYC and I believe one in Boston that may be able to help. They will have the catalogs for identification. Luckily VC has been making many of the same lines of watches for (hundreds of) years so you can likely narrow it down that way. When it was serviced does the receipt say anything about models or serials? Usually it’s just like four digits as the code for VC.

Brands like Vacheron follow a different curve for value and it could be incredibly valuable, even if it is not gold. They possess some of the most complicated and unique movements and the fact that it still runs and you have cleaned it relatively recently will help the value. They are also making a [re]surgence at the moment, if that’s even possible, due to the high demand for the Overseas, as the Royal Oak is playing out.

Reaction Score
Vacheron was not mentioned because it’s a grail watch and most people are not fortunate enough to be in the presence of a VC. I mean that sincerely. Part of the Trinity with Patek and AP, they are arguably the best watches made (and my personal favorite). Is there any number at all on the case back? I assume not since it was engraved. If not, it likely needs to be opened. There is a VC store in NYC and I believe one in Boston that may be able to help. They will have the catalogs for identification. Luckily VC has been making many of the same lines of watches for (hundreds of) years so you can likely narrow it down that way. When it was serviced does the receipt say anything about models or serials? Usually it’s just like four digits as the code for VC.

Brands like Vacheron follow a different curve for value and it could be incredibly valuable, even if it is not gold. They possess some of the most complicated and unique movements and the fact that it still runs and you have cleaned it relatively recently will help the value. They are also making a [re]surgence at the moment, if that’s even possible, due to the high demand for the Overseas, as the Royal Oak is playing out.
Looks like they have a store in Boston on Newbury Street.

Looks like Shreve, Crump & Low on Newbury Street also sells them.

So is Vacherin Constantin considered "high end luxury"? Because after looking at the prices I know I won't be buying one. :)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m certainly not in the know like some people on this thread would be so hopefully they can chime in for you. But, a good place you could start is probably the Vacheron subreddit (Reddit.com/r/vacheronconstantin). Make a post on there with detailed pictures and ask for more information about what you have. I’m always amazed how much information people can provide on Reddit. I bet there are some people on that subreddit that can help and would know more specific details about your watch. Once you know that information, it’ll probably be easier to know the actual value.
Thanks for this suggestion.

From this and the earlier mention of a subreddit for watches, I now sense that, "Look for a subreddit" is a good all-purpose companion tool for, "Look for a YouTube video."

It makes me laugh to think back a few years when I sensed a possible Aha moment and rushed to my youngest niece like I'd discovered something and excitedly asked her something goofy like, "Wait, is this what that Reddit thing is?" She was very kind and confirmed my impression of what Reddit might be or be used for. I imagine that no others among her parents, in-laws, or their siblings know (or care) what Reddit is.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I am now intrigued with watches and getting ads all over the place for brands I never even heard of. To me it is more about form than function what with smart phones and all. Who cares if you have to adjust it once in a while. We spend hours figuring out and changing settings on our smartphones. I'm surprised how much people are willing to spend because if you really like watches, you want a lot of them. So many different types and styles to choose from, it doesn't make sense to me spend big dollars on expensive watches. Unless you are filthy rich, of course.

I never really considered them as investments which also surprised me. I personally have no interest in buying a used watch, it seems kind of personal to me. I will say the actual design and creation of the watches really is amazing.
I would have preferred buying my IWC new, but I'm not going to spend $8-10k on a watch. I was able to pick up a used 2-3 year old IWC for less than half of the grey market retail. It's cleaned and buffed, you can't tell it was pre-owned and I felt good saving $4k. Likely, it was rarely if ever worn!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

Shreve Crump & Low has a store at 125 Greenwich Avenue. Can get a slice at Grigg Street pizza after shopping, tie the 2 threads together.

Reaction Score
Chrono 24 is a great resource and if you are considering going to the grey market to save some cash then Jomashop, Authentic Watches and Atlantic Watch Exchange are good places to shop......I'd say either start cheaper with something like a Hamilton field watch or a Luminox diving watch until you have a better understanding of the watch market.........It's an expensive sickness if you get caught up in it......started with Seiko, Hamilton, Oris, Breitling and next thing you know I've got multiple Rolexes including a new Submariner, a vintage Pepsi and Sky Dweller, an IWC Big Pilot and a Patek Calatrava........could have bought a very nice car with that money......
That’s the place that I like!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

TYVM.

I'm hopeful that for simplicity's sake I'll locate the service receipt (from NYC VC) in a file folder, in a transfile box, in a stack of them, all recently relocated, and none yet unpacked. Ugh.

Writing my post and reading your reply served as risk & reward around an intuition that it'd be worthwhile to candidly admit my level of ignorance.

I could have been showcasing myself as uncomprehending and foolish, but instead seem to have located myself inside of an unintentional humble brag premised almost entirely entirely on the pure luck of 'picking the right parents.' I really didn't know in advance, and was prepared for either, though this feels pretty gratifying with more to come.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Guns are obviously much more useful but I don't want to carry. If they get the jump on me and have a gun to my head I'm obviously giving up my phone and wallet.
Hand grenades make a great equalizer and are a marvelous stocking stuffer!
That comment about the phone... At what time in history did the general public walk around with a portable item that costs a month's paycheck? I "have" a Rolex, inherited it from the Father-in-Law. The scare quotes are for, it's still in Italy, and I asked that it be sold and the proceeds go to charity.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Okay, on topic...

Gorgeous and less-flashy brand than Rolex et al - but also not entry level luxury!

Reaction Score
Well I'm done shopping and I've built my Tag Heuer Connected Calibre E4 at $2k. Just need to decide which trim combo. That escalated quickly. It's a chronograph smartwatch so it will connect to fitness apps. I like the metal band but not sure how it feels during exercise.

tag.JPG

Reaction Score
Looks like they have a store in Boston on Newbury Street.

So is Vacherin Constantin considered "high end luxury"? Because after looking at the prices I know I won't be buying one. :)

you can pick them up much cheaper preowned but AP, Patek and Vacheron watches are never inexpensive........for two grand (or less used) you can buy a beautiful Swiss-made watch from Oris and for well under 1k Hamilton offers many Swiss made models.....

Reaction Score
There was an episode of the Bob Newhart Show (the one with Suzanne Pleshette as his wife) where she bought him a $10,000 watch. His response was "if you were going to spend that much money and after buying a piano, ypou had $20 left over and bought me a watch..... Well, you can't buy a $20 piano".

Similar to my belief that while it is seldom a wise investment, everyone should own at least one new car in his or her lifetime, if somneone wants to own a higher quality watch (and it makes economic sense), he or she should do it.

I own quite a few reasonably good watches (nearly 20, cost anywhere between $300 and $650 , accululated the collection over a few decades), but for more than a yer (due to the benefit through my health insurance of having a watch that counts my steps) use almost exclusively the least expensive watch in my collection.

I can speak of the benefits of the watches that retail for less than $1,000 but at this point I could also make an argument that it would have been better served owning fewer watches at a similar cumulative cost as better watches do hold their value.

Take your time making the decision. Whether it ends up being a good or bad decision will depend on the time after the purchase, not necessarily the purchase itself.
a big mistake I see with many newer watch collectors (I plead guilty too) is that they get caught up buying a bunch of $500-$1k watches when they just could have saved up to buy one high-quality watch........

Reaction Score
Okay, on topic...

Just don't let any watchmaker open it up and whatever you do don't get it cleaned/polished no matter how dusty or dirty it looks..........patina means a lot with older watches just like with antiques........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom