Luxury Watches | The Boneyard

Luxury Watches

Reaction Score
I'm interested in getting a lower end entry level watch.

Not at a Rolex level, but ready to wear something nice. I'm thinking of a Baltic, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Tissot, Orient, Citizen, etc.

I'd like to know what the watch snobs think and thanks.

Reaction Score

Not at a Rolex level, but ready to wear something nice. I'm thinking of a Baltic, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Orient, Citizen, etc.

I'd like to know what the watch snobs think.
Not a watch guy but have been looking to get a nice one as well. I see a lot of watch people really like Hamilton too

Reaction Score
I have an Omega speedmaster that I love. It’s a bit of a sleeper in that non-watch folks won’t really give it much notice, but watch people will appreciate it. Definitely on the higher lower end though.

Also have the Seiko knockoff Rolex Pepsi that is my day to day watch and I love.

Reaction Score
I would check out Panzera, they are from Australia. They use Japanese and Swiss automatic movement in different models and have a good reputation. I collect watches (not bragging just for context) and bought one on a whim. They are nice.

Don’t know your price point but also suggest you look at authenticwatches.com. They are a large discount online dealer. I bought two Brietlings from them. Their prices and service are great. This is also a great place to scroll through tons of makes and models and get an idea what style you like.

Another option is EBay. You need to be careful and ask seller questions, but eBay has an authentication process that many sellers use to ensure you are getting what seller says it is and that it is working correctly.

One more suggestion is to figure out you size as most models can come in different sizes. Men’s watches generally run from 40 mm to 46 mm. Once you determine they size you like on your wrist it will help narrow your search.

Best of luck

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score

Not at a Rolex level, but ready to wear something nice. I'm thinking of a Baltic, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Tissot, Orient, Citizen, etc.

Go to Chinatown in NYC. I was walking around and a guy was being chased. He’s yelling Mavado watch 40$! I said I only have 20 bro and we did the deal. I resold it on eBay for 300$. That’s probably your best bet.

Reaction Score

Not sure if its your price range but i have two watches i wear. One is a calculator and the other the face can be moved and it turns into a robot. Quite luxurious.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seconded on the Omega Speedmaster suggestion above. I love mine.

You'll have to figure out what your price range is to narrow down the available options. Watches, like most other things, have gotten more expensive post-pandemic but you can by a lot of nice pre-owned pieces from reputable places like Tourneau.

Yes on price range for suggestions.

"Lower end entry level" can mean many things and $800, $1500 and $2500 can all meet that criteria depending on perspective.

From my perspective, if you go above $2500 you are out of the lower end entry level.

I'll also add, much like cars, pre-owned reconditioned and certified by the manufacturer opens up some great deals.

Reaction Score

Very much dependent on your budget. My first luxury watch was a Tudor Black Bay 58. My next move will likely be a tier higher Omega, Grand Seiko, Cartier, etc. Or if I can somehow get a Rolex Pepsi GMT without playing Rolex games. I'm not sure how Lux Bond is with this stuff in CT.

Slightly lower than the Tudor price level you can get a great watch from Longines, Oris, Hamilton, Seiko, Mido, Rado, Nomos and many more. Check out r/watches on reddit. They have a great brand and buying guides from reference and to learn. Reddit - Dive into anything

Reaction Score
Good thread. Opportunity to see who on BY is actually a pimp.
Portland Trail Blazers Nba GIF by ESPN

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Look around on chrono24 to see what you like in your price range. I've been collecting watches for over 15 years and can honestly say that in terms of bang for your buck, Rolex is the leader of the pack, if you can get one at retail. Overpaying for one on the grey market is definitely a YMMV enterprise.

Pick one that speaks to you and that you will want to wear daily. It's fine if you don't wear it but if you don't see yourself wearing it, it's not the right watch for you.

Consider the following:

Movement type: (quartz, automatic, manual). Quartz is the cheapest and a few top brands do have some quartz models, but they are generally not considered luxury. For autos and manuals, look at the power reserve (how long it will run without wearing it or winding it). Research the movement (many are made by Swatch and that's not a bad thing, they just own many famous brands). ETA movements are widely used by brands that don't make their own. Some favor in-house movements, for many it doesn't matter so long as it's reliable. ETA movements are popular for this reason.

Complications: date, day, moonphase, GMT hand, chronograph, world timer, etc. These add price and make winding/resetting more of a hassle. Important if you buy a manual or don't wear your automatic daily. (See power reserve)

Size: This is related to style (dress, sport, tool) and trends. The trend of giant watches (>43mm) has waned, and smaller sizes (36-40mm) are more in fashion but buy what you like. Trends come and go. Classics are classics. 38mm is standard for a dressy watch and 40-42 is very common for sport (divers) and tool watches.

Water Resistance: If you plan on it getting wet 100m minimum, even washing dishes. If you plan on showering/swimming with it (I avoid it)...in the ocean (don't, unless you are a serious scuba guy) look for 300m. I use a $40 timex ironman for beach, swimming. Don't swim with a leather strap.

Brands: You will see what the popular brands are on Chrono24. For a site full of watch nerds, er horology enthusiasts, watchuseek is a good one full of helpful people. Don't overlook lesser known or boutique brands, they can offer some cool stuff at a reasonable price. Unless you are buying a Rolex, Patek, or and AP, don't consider it an investment, as it is guaranteed to lose value over time unless it's some highly desirable limited edition and even then, don't expect it to appreciate. You can absolutely find a quality non-quartz watch for less than $1000. The Hamilton rec is a good one. MIDO is a lesser known but highly respected Swiss brand. Seiko is a good Japanese brand. There is also the concept of an 'homage' watch. It's not exactly a knock off, but brands do copy popular styles from each other. Every major and minor brand has some sort of Daytona panda offering. When Rolex introduced the pastel and candy color faces, many other brands followed suit.

Buy what you like in your price range. it's your watch. Most people will barely notice it. I can try to answer any questions, have fun and be careful about getting sucked into a new hobby. I started wanting a swiss made automatic watch for $500, that turned into a collection of watches under $!000 before it got out of hand. Thankfully I haven't reached the most ridiculous levels where I need to worry about security, but I do own a Rolex and a few other 'luxury models"

Reaction Score
Very much dependent on your budget. My first luxury watch was a Tudor Black Bay 58. My next move will likely be a tier higher Omega, Grand Seiko, Cartier, etc. Or if I can somehow get a Rolex Pepsi GMT without playing Rolex games. I'm not sure how Lux Bond is with this stuff in CT.

Slightly lower than the Tudor price level you can get a great watch from Longines, Oris, Hamilton, Seiko, Mido, Rado, Nomos and many more. Check out r/watches on reddit. They have a great brand and buying guides from reference and to learn. Reddit - Dive into anything
I’ve had a Cartier for 40 years. Law school graduation present. Every 10 or 15 years I have to get it serviced. Like it because it’s much less common than a Rolex, which is cliche for high end NY lawyers.

But it’s totally a matter of taste. Lots of companies make good watches.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Longines, Oris, Hamilton, Seiko, Mido, Rado, Nomos and many more.
These are all good choices, I'm personally not a fan of the "discount Rolex" Tudor. It's an excellent watch in terms of performance, craftsmanship, quality. Perfect for someone who wants Rolex quality without all the drama that comes with wearing the crown. I just struggle with the pricing point since they started trying to elevate the brand because of their marketing strategy to limit Rolex production. If you are going to drop 5k on a Tudor, I'd say save up a little longer and buy an entry level Rolex or another high-quality brand. At that price point there are some tremendous options.

As for the others, the Oris Big Crown Pointer Date and Nomos World Timer have always been on my watch watchlist. I own/have owned a Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro and Mido Baroncelli. Both very good watches at a non-nosebleed price.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom