Luxury Watches | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Luxury Watches

Reaction Score
I'm interested in getting a lower end entry level watch.

Not at a Rolex level, but ready to wear something nice. I'm thinking of a Baltic, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Tissot, Orient, Citizen, etc.

I'd like to know what the watch snobs think and thanks.

Reaction Score
Picked up a Breitling- Navitimer Montbrilliant Datora. Got a great price ..just needed to be serviced. There are good deals out there if you are patient

Reaction Score
One thing I haven't seen anybody write about is the crazy number of fake watches on the market........there are fakes for every decent brand, and while fakes used to be laughably bad now some of them are even fooling watch dealers..........the bottom line is you need to be very careful where you purchase your watches......

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
My former boss gave me a Rolex Submariner as a bonus/gift 15 or so years ago and while I wear it for special occasions, nice dinners, weddings, etc, it’s not really ‘me’. I also drunkenly made an impulse buy of a $100 all-matte black MVMT few years ago which I actually prefer to the Rolex.

Reaction Score
One thing I haven't seen anybody write about is the crazy number of fake watches on the market........there are fakes for every decent brand, and while fakes used to be laughably bad now some of them are even fooling watch dealers..........the bottom line is you need to be very careful where you purchase your watches......
Agreed. My daily beater is a Panerai, which is notorious for its fakes. I would never buy one from something like eBay even if they authenticate.

Reaction Score
What about Ulysse Nardin watches? Anyone know anything about them? See how much I'm learning from this thread.

Cool brand with interesting pieces like the Freak

1702353880320.jpeg

Reaction Score
I probably should have just titled this thread nice watches instead of "Luxury"

I love just about every dial on the Seiko Presage Cocktail line watches and the blue Citizen Millennium Falcon and Black Rebel pilot with the orange band just look so much fun.

The Baltic MR01 is sweet
Thanks for starting the thread, I fear I have a new obsession. mf!

Let us know what you end up getting. I don't get spending so much money on some of these watches unless the metal is worth that much and it's made out of Rhodium or some sheet.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thanks for starting the thread, I fear I have a new obsession. mf!

Let us know what you end up getting. I don't get spending so much money on some of these watches unless the metal is worth that much and it's made out of Rhodium or some sheet.

Lol, a ton of knowledge in this board. I learned a lot.

I might go with a couple of watches, but I think for sure, the Seiko Presage style will make the cut

Reaction Score
It’s always funny to me when people say buying a nice watch is a waste of money, meanwhile they’re blowing money on dumber things. When you’re wearing a nice suit especially, it’s a good idea to have a watch on, i think it looks tacky when people wear their Apple Watch or garmin with a suit (I’m sure some will shout me down for this, just my opinion). You don’t need to spend a ton of money on a watch, just something decent. It’s hard to beat the value that Seiko provides, they’ve got tons of models you can find under $500 and last a long time.

What’s your budget? If you’re just starting, don’t go crazy, just get into the hobby, tons of options under $1000. Hamilton, Seiko, Tissot, Bulova, Mido, tons of others. I’d say look at Hamilton or Seiko personally, really can’t go wrong there and easily can find these slightly used for even less. If you have a higher budget, look at Omega or Grand Seiko. I saw someone else mention spending good money on nice shoes as well & I agree. Things that last are worth spending a premium for and I see a nice mechanical watch as the same. Don’t need to buy a Rolex to still enjoy a nice watch.
So basically you’re saying you make sweeping judgements on a person on the clothes he wears and the watch on his wrist.

Reaction Score
I had once tried to buy a Breitling Chronomat off of Poshmark. For transactions over $500, They hold the funds and the watch until they can positively authenticate the watch. This watch was not able to be authenticated. The transaction was voided and my money was returned.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think it depends on the situation and field. The simple reality is that plenty of Tech billionaires and millionaires will be wearing a T-shirt, jacket, jeans, expensive but comfortable shoes, and an Apple watch (you can get nicer bands). Fancy suits are now reserved for Wall Street, law firms (not even those unless in court) and Congress (except Fetterman). The suit isn't dead but it's on life support. Wearable tech is only going to increase. But yes, everybody who owns a suit can own a watch that looks dressy to go with it.

The suit isn’t on life support in the sense it’s never going to die but certainly it’s never going to be what it was even 4 years ago—much less 10, 20 or 50. I think we’re all on the same page that an actual watch pairs much better with business formal clothes—I’d say business casual too—than an Apple Watch. It just does. I appreciate a lot of people don’t care what they look like.

Tech billionaires dress like dorks for the most part.

Give me a billion dollars and I’ve got Kendall Roy’s wardrobe, not Zuckerberg’s.

Reaction Score
So basically you’re saying you make sweeping judgements on a person on the clothes he wears and the watch on his wrist.
You’re constantly being judged by the world based on what you wear and how you appear. Tons of people dress “sloppily”; suit jacket way too big, trousers too long, doesn’t match etc. Doesn’t take a ton to put some effort into it and have your one nice suit put together and tailored properly. Add in a watch and you’re doing it better than most.

Reaction Score
The suit isn’t on life support in the sense it’s never going to die but certainly it’s never going to be what it was even 4 years ago—much less 10, 20 or 50. I think we’re all on the same page that an actual watch pairs much better with business formal clothes—I’d say business casual too—than an Apple Watch. It just does. I appreciate a lot of people don’t care what they look like.

Tech billionaires dress like dorks for the most part.

Give me a billion dollars and I’ve got Kendall Roy’s wardrobe, not Zuckerberg’s.
succession-still05.jpg

Reaction Score
You’re constantly being judged by the world based on what you wear and how you appear. Tons of people dress “sloppily”; suit jacket way too big, trousers too long, doesn’t match etc. Doesn’t take a ton to put some effort into it and have your one nice suit put together and tailored properly. Add in a watch and you’re doing it better than most.
So judge a book by its cover.

Reaction Score
1.5% per year is hardly a rate of return to crow about.
You’re looking at it as something I consciously bought to earn money. I didn’t. What object that you own that you’ve worn for 20 years and beaten up is still increasing in value?

Reaction Score
It's human nature. I work in technical sales and wouldn't dream of dressing as casually as most do these days. I never wear a tie but I have a sport coat on most days. It matters.

You don't have to wear expensive clothes but at least look professional in a coherent, well-fitting outfit.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

He said some people dress sloppy. He didn't make any judgments about their character, competence, etc.

That's not judging a book by its cover. That's pointing out what the cover looks like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom