Link for schedule for ICE BRADY and FIBA U18 Americas Championship | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Link for schedule for ICE BRADY and FIBA U18 Americas Championship

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Saylor's mom talked about the fit but I don't remember any complaints about the academics. Saylor was probably just unhappy with the playing time projections and left. So far things seem to be working out well for her in Arkansas according to her coach. She did practice with the team this past year and according to reports was "lighting it up" in practice. This could happen to any kid. We should all wish her the best.

Amy Poffenbarger said regarding Saylor’s decision. “The academic [side] wasn’t super-engaging, there wasn’t much to the campus life, and there wasn’t the ability to get out and meet a lot of people. Unfortunately that part of college life ... that part wasn’t happening for her.”

Reaction Score
Look at some of the post after she had trouble hitting her three point shots. It's hard to believe anyone would ask who, as if it did not happen. It ticked me off because she was expected to come in red hot. Do some research and you will see.
That's not how it works. YOU made a claim that posters "turned" on Saylor.
I asked who. The burden is on you, the one who made the claim, to provide some kind of corroboration. If you can't, then your statement is worthless.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Saylor took all of 15 shots in her entire UConn career. A total of 15 shots. There were no in-game threads so no opportunity to do any research so perhaps you should provide the proof of your assertion. As crazy as some posters can be I highly doubt any respectable posters turned on Saylor because she made only 2 of 15 shots while joining the team as a freshman in January. I recall most here pulling for her to make a shot knowing how tough it is to join a team mid-season as a freshman.
I am not speaking of in game threads. I am talking about posts on the BY. Also, I did not mention anything about respectable posters. Maybe I should not have used the term turned on. There was complaining about her making only 2 of 15 shots. Some defended her, saying KLS also missed a number of shots at the beginning of her UConn career. I also recall posters pulling for her and I was one of them. In my post I did not say most turned against her. I did not specify the number. I stand by my post.

Reaction Score
Amy Poffenbarger said regarding Saylor’s decision. “The academic [side] wasn’t super-engaging, there wasn’t much to the campus life, and there wasn’t the ability to get out and meet a lot of people. Unfortunately that part of college life ... that part wasn’t happening for her.”

Remember these were mom's comments, not Saylor's. To put those in perspective
  • She joined the team halfway thru the season.
  • Hard to reconcile her mother's comments when I believe UConn was in full Covid protocol. Dormitories were empty, classes were online - and there were no campus or community activities.
  • She injured her back within a couple of weeks (Feb) which she tried to play thru. (Don't know if this means she kept it a secret or what). Eventually she was diagnosed by MRI with a stress fracture in her back.
  • She was limited in the summer strength and conditioning sessions to "set shots".
  • She was still limited due to the same back injury when the Fall semester started.
  • Did not suit up for any games, exhibition or otherwise, before transferring to Arkansas.
Bottom line, UConn wasn't a good fit.

Reaction Score
I certainly can't blame Saylor for being unhappy. The pandemic made everyone miserable at colleges across the country, and if injuries made it hard to find any pleasure in sports, it doesn't surprise me that she looked for some sort of change.

Reaction Score
It's not basketball as we know it (Two teams playing against one another)
Halftime: USA 60 - El Salvador 12

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Random 1st half thoughts...

Kitts and Nivar have some game, especially Kitts. DelRosario does not look as tall as I expected, but it could be the little computer feed i'm seeing.

Ice is GOOD. Yeah El Salvador is over-matched, but a few things she did... grabbed a rebound on the defensive end, brought the ball up the floor (yeah decent ball handling skills) and zipped a nice pass that would have gotten an assist had the teammate not blown the bunny.

On another play, she had a nice drive to the basket from outside the arc and layed the ball up with her off (right) hand.

She's smooth, efficient, mobile (ie. athletic for her size), has GREAT hands - her stats at halftime - 10 points, 6 boards, 3 assists (should have been 4) and 1 block.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That's not how it works. YOU made a claim that posters "turned" on Saylor.
I asked who. The burden is on you, the one who made the claim, to provide some kind of corroboration. If you can't, then your statement is worthless.
That is how it works for me. I am done with it. Back to Brady.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Adendum thoughts. McMahon has game too. She and Jones are athletic.

One note on "teammate attitude". With about 5 minutes left, both Ice and DelRosario were in the game. ADR was fouled and went to the FT line. She missed the first FT and Ice was the ONLY Player on her team who walked over to her and gave her that low 5 that players do. The others were nowhere to be seen.

I know maybe that's a minor thing, but it gives an idea about how engaged Ice is with her teammates even in a blowout.

Good call on the MOV @rvwsleep. I didn't think USA would get up to 70 as the lead was 60 for a good part of Q4, but a burst at the end put it over that.

The coach played much of Q4 with Ice and ADR on the floor together. ADR takes up space in the lane that Ice normally occupies so Ice was a little less effective with the stats (rebounds, etc) during that time frame. But Ice runs the floor FAR better and is in much better condition than ADR...

Even tho it was a blowout, the "A-team" got more minutes (24'ish) compared to the B-team (16'ish). Maybe the coach is moving away from 50-50, to giving the "better" team more minutes. Anyway just my $.02...

POG Ice

Reaction Score
These games don't offer much competition but you can tell somethings about a player like do they hustle, do they play help defense, can they score within the framework of the teams offense, can they score thru contact, can they make mid range shots, can they make their team mates better. I think Ice checks most of the boxes. I have stated before and now again she will perform the high post elbow position very well. She has the size to set good screens, She can hit the elbow jumper, she can pass of the high low. During her carrer at UConn I think we will see her shoot the 3 ball very well. I am excited!!!!

Reaction Score
Just watched the El Salvador game. It's probably not fair to judge the guards in this sort of competition. Rice and Jones have superb skills, but have little connection to the team, so far. Rosario looks slow and tired -- I think someone else noted this too. Pissot looks out of sorts. McMahon seems to be able to play with the others. Kitts seems promising.

Ice is the only one who showed any sort of team-awareness in this game. Given how overmatched El Salvador was, perhaps there wasn't much inspiration for the stars to really take the game seriously. Ice's basic skills around the basket are excellent, as is her sense of what it takes to score. One comical moment toward the beginning: Ice grabbed a rebound and reared back for a left handed baseball throw the length of the court to a streaking Cotie McMahon. Hit her in stride and she scored an easy layup. I hope to see a lot of those over the next 4 years.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The only likely competitive game is Canada who blew through the other group phase 3-0 - no other team ended the three group games with a positive MOV. USA with an MOV of +182 and Canada ended with +104. I think Canada had the tougher group as they had Brazil and Argentina in their group who are generally better than the other teams (except Canada.)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Question for those who have actually seen these games:

Ice: got wisdom on how she runs the floor..end-to-end?
I would say ONO was a near 10 in that category... for her size. How goes Ice compared to that?

Reaction Score
The only likely competitive game is Canada who blew through the other group phase 3-0 - no other team ended the three group games with a positive MOV. USA with an MOV of +182 and Canada ended with +104. I think Canada had the tougher group as they had Brazil and Argentina in their group who are generally better than the other teams (except Canada.)
It it worthy of note that Canada is shooting from three point land at a much higher percentage
than USA: T'yana Todd from Boston College, Emma Kobel from Duke, Lemyah Hylton from
Arizona, and Jasmine Bascoe from a Canadian school. Will our interior play sustain the USA??

Reaction Score
Question for those who have actually seen these games:

Ice: got wisdom on how she runs the floor..end-to-end?
I would say ONO was a near 10 in that category... for her size. How goes Ice compared to that?
ONO was very good running the floor. ICE was still running the floor at the end of
the 4th Q against El Salvadore, was consistently a trailer on USA transition baskets,
and was NOT breathing hard ( Aalyah Del Rosario was ) during a late game timeout.
ICE has a very good "engine" and brings her Morgna Tuck size to bear in the paint.
Go USA, Go UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
Can't lie...hard to watch. Some random observations. Brady is good. Duh, right? McMahon is a steal. AA potential if you ask me. Rosario is steady....double double machine. Rice is bigger than I thought. She seems tired to me. Van Slooten is better than I thought. Not athletic, but she works hard. Pissott looked like she's working on shots other than 3s. A little inconsistent, but I'll chalk that up to chemistry. Better rebounder than I thought. I think her biggest obstacle this tear will be the SEC physicality.

Reaction Score

Coco, I interpreted "the academic [side]" to be the non-basketball side of campus life, i.e. the social side. But we are getting way off topic here.

BTW I think you and TeamFirst ought to have you own thread, maybe titled something like "No Holds Barred" so that the rest of us can sit back and watch the entertainment :) (please note the smiley)

Reaction Score
It it worthy of note that Canada is shooting from three point land at a much higher percentage
than USA: T'yana Todd from Boston College, Emma Kobel from Duke, Lemyah Hylton from
Arizona, and Jasmine Bascoe from a Canadian school. Will our interior play sustain the USA??
There’s not been a lot of good passing in the interior so far. But the guards may rise to the challenge of a better opponent. But I’d be surprised if Canada has anyone who can stay with Ice and Rosario if we can get them the ball.

Reaction Score
Can't lie...hard to watch. Some random observations. Brady is good. Duh, right? McMahon is a steal. AA potential if you ask me. Rosario is steady....double double machine. Rice is bigger than I thought. She seems tired to me. Van Slooten is better than I thought. Not athletic, but she works hard. Pissott looked like she's working on shots other than 3s. A little inconsistent, but I'll chalk that up to chemistry. Better rebounder than I thought. I think her biggest obstacle this tear will be the SEC physicality.
I also thought Rice seemed larger than I expected. She’s listed at 5’11” but she looks bigger than Paige. Maybe it’s just the camera angles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom