Kim English to PC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kim English to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like the Kennesaw coach might get the Cal job. Good for him. He was very impressive last week.

Reaction Score
Not sure why he'd leave KSU. He's making 2.5 million a year in a good basketball conference. They had a few bad years under Weber, but they had a bunch of 20+ win seasons in the past couple decade. PC would be a step down for him... that program is going to be decimated. Only players staying are ones that might be forced to (Hopkins, CFJ)
Pretty sure they're talking about Kennesaw State and you're talking about Jerome Tang at Kansas State

Reaction Score
Yes, I suppose leaving out those details hammers home the narrative that Providence is a lower-tier job/program, when if those details were published, that narrative would be more ambiguous.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure they're talking about Kennesaw State and you're talking about Jerome Tang at Kansas State

That makes a lot more sense! Haha

Abdur-Rahim is a nice coach... but only has had one winning season. He needs a few more years, though I would have said the same about English.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yes, I suppose leaving out those details hammers home the narrative that Providence is a lower-tier job/program, when if those details were published, that narrative would be more ambiguous.
Fanta and Goodman aren't exactly traditional "reporters," more like media talking heads. No one is signing off on a story sourced by anonymous twitter users. And once he decided to take the job, it's a one day story and everyone moves on, except the Friar fans. They need a smoking gun like Bobby Petrino crashing his motorcycle with his side action riding shotgun.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
People speak highly of Kim, but he's been pretty mid so far as a coach.

I bet there is a way to prove statistically that Kim English is median coach for all of Division 1 basketball. I can't imagine a more forgettable hire. I have forgotten his name twice while typing this post.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Generally, when a fanbase has a multi-day meltdown, you have to go to their message board to witness it. Friar fans were nice enough to bring their meltdown to us.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is what I want to know. What Cooley did sucks, no question about it, but to insinuate a guy like John Fanta is in on some conspiracy to push a counter narrative seems … odd.
Fanta sounded like an idiot too. I like Fanta and he didnt look as bad as Goodman, but Fanta soft shoed this way too much.

"Ed cant go to dinner in Providence without attention"

I mean what the hell is that weak sauce, Fanta? Dont be a Goodman level boot licker.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Seems like a rushed desperation hire for Providence. George Mason was very ho hum this year.

Did they even kick the tires on anyone else? The Kennesaw State coach turned that program around and had Xavier on the ropes last week. Iona found a coach with a more impressive track record.

English is a way better hire than FDU coach to Iona. I could see an argument for the Kennesaw St coach though.

Reaction Score
What everyone is incensed about is that we all know the reason Cooley is leaving but he has his sycophant press whores like Goodman and Fanta lying about it and in turn damaging PC which is now incredibly a rival school for him.

here are the Field of 68 videos:
(16 min)
INSTANT REACTION to Ed Cooley leaving Providence for Georgetown!! | Coaching Carousel 2023 (11 min)

Friar J can answer your question definitively, but if I had to guess he is referring to those videos. Goodman and Fanta state that Ed just needed a change and more of a challenge and that he couldn't go anywhere in Providence without being asked to have a picture taken and kiss babies, blah blah, etc. In DC, Cooley and his wife can walk around without being accosted as not everyone in DC will know who he is.

I have read on here as well as Friar Talk about Cooley having extra marital affair(s) and that his wife gave him an ultimatum either he can 1) stay in Providence and they get divorced or 2) they stay married, but go to DC. The internet is a wonderful and ground breaking thing for humanity, but it also means misinformation and rumors can take a life of their own. Is this misinformation/rumor mongering or is this truth? I don't know, I am not Batman, the world's greatest detective. I doubt we ever find out definitively as reporters are really not going to dig into this, nor am I asking them to. Certainly, Fanta and Goodman, or any college basketball/sports reporter will not talk about this.

Goodman and Fanta also state that PC might have hit their ceiling last year with a Sweet 16 appearance and that Cooley knew he would never go beyond that. There is some truth to PC having that hard ceiling, but there is a lot more to his decision to leave for Georgetown than just the ceiling.

Let's say the ultimatum thing is true.

Does Cooley's wife think there are no hot young basketball groupies in DC? Who might be interested in a $6m salary?

And she thinks her husband--whose ethical compass tells him it's fine to recruit for his next school while his current school pays his salary--is going to tone it down once they leave Providence?

What a freaking trainwreck.

Reaction Score
I was typing similar when you posted

To me this seems like a fast turnaround for such an important hire, given the situation PC is in. Or it has been in the works for a while and people at PC were working on this. Very young coach 34 years old with 2 years of head coaching experience and not a lot of time spent in the
Have to say the personal problems are still there and will follow him to DC
Difficult to change a leopards spots. At least DC offers no temptation :)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Let's say the ultimatum thing is true.

Does Cooley's wife think there are no hot young basketball groupies in DC? Who might be interested in a $6m salary?

And she thinks her husband--whose ethical compass tells him it's fine to recruit for his next school while his current school pays his salary--is going to tone it down once they leave Providence?

What a freaking trainwreck.
And you don't think she knows the DC lay out?

What's the over/under she's hoping EC get caught with his pants down? He's her investment. She just upped her settlement monies by pushing him to Georgetown.

This is the smart play way!

Last edited:

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
The Goodman, Portnoy Twitter feud is the dumbest thing ever. 2 people I couldn't careless about their opinions on anything
Seriously, it’s been brutal.

Portnoy obviously doesn’t know much and if you still like barstool in 2023 that’s an indictment of your personality.

But Goodman has proven time and time again that he’s an egomaniac too. All people want from him is to tweet real news. He’s not an analyst, nobody cares about his takes, but he’s constantly trying to shove them in everyone’s face.

Two huge losers going at it and dominating my feed. Hate it

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Talk about a dead end job. If he can win there he's the real deal.
The Cal and Stanford programs have really fallen by the wayside.
It's the whole region. And look at how long Bennett has been at SMC, will it last after he departs? Stanford had Montgomery, who was thrown a bucket of money by the Warriors, Cal was lucky with recruits (Jason Kidd in their hay day), heck even #15 Santa Clara surprised UA (courtesy Steve Nash). All gone now. Now Bay Area MBB is relying on SJSU and USF to go up...

Reaction Score
If Mr. Cooley was a player in RI might be safe to assume he will be in DC / on road as well...sorry Mrs Cooley. Of course it's all pure conjecture ;)

DC is a whole other level of temptation than PC. There is a well known story about when Jordan played here. He was out with the boys one night and they stopped at a club. Within an hour of MJ settling in with his guys, over two hundred single women showed up.

While Cooley ain't Jordan. There will be plenty of camp followers for the six million dollar man.

Reaction Score
DC is a whole other level of temptation than PC. There is a well known story about when Jordan played here. He was out with the boys one night and they stopped at a club. Within an hour of MJ settling in with his guys, over two hundred single women showed up.

While Cooley ain't Jordan. There will be plenty of camp followers for the six million dollar man.
To be fair, if it were known MJ were at an establishment, there'd probably be 200 (straight) guys there too.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ed’s wife caught him with his proverbial hand in the cookie jar. So… she delivered an ultimatum - we move far away from the jar and the cookies, or we are no longer a couple.
This may well be true but she should have been smart enough to realize that there are cookies in DC too. In fact, there are likely a lot more there than in RI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom