Kim English to PC | The Boneyard

Kim English to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People speak highly of Kim, but he's been pretty mid so far as a coach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Season 5 Idk GIF by NBC

Reaction Score
I like it. Swing for the fences. I can see it being a rough start though.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
PC, Butler, and Seton Hall are going to be in a conference of their own trying to stay above Depaul in the basement.

Their recruiting is going to be so bad.

Reaction Score
Genuine question: how has the press been lying about it? Are they implying that it was a spur of the moment decision and not something he's been planning for weeks (months?)?

Reaction Score
they say a picture, or in this case a GIF, is worth a 1,000 words. This was my reaction to the Mike Brey thread when he supposedly was hired by South Florida. I guess it captures this hire of Kim English, too. Maybe Kim English turns out to be great, who knows? I certainly don't know either way.

Reaction Score
Genuine question: how has the press been lying about it? Are they implying that it was a spur of the moment decision and not something he's been planning for weeks (months?)?
Ed’s wife caught him with his proverbial hand in the cookie jar. So… she delivered an ultimatum - we move far away from the jar and the cookies, or we are no longer a couple.

Reaction Score
Just my humble opinion here. Unfortunately, most modern press reporting has agendas attached, be it sports, politics, you name it. Used to be, a reporter reported the story, and left the reader to weigh the facts against the fiction. Too many folks are compensated to tell lies in our society these days, without personal consequence. Nowadays, a skilled liar gets promoted.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
This is what I want to know. What Cooley did sucks, no question about it, but to insinuate a guy like John Fanta is in on some conspiracy to push a counter narrative seems … odd.

Edit: I will add that Goodman’s flip-flopping was seemingly for clicks and his pumping up of GTown lately is kinda gross.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What everyone is incensed about is that we all know the reason Cooley is leaving but he has his sycophant press whores like Goodman and Fanta lying about it and in turn damaging PC which is now incredibly a rival school for him.

here are the Field of 68 videos:
(16 min)
INSTANT REACTION to Ed Cooley leaving Providence for Georgetown!! | Coaching Carousel 2023 (11 min)

Friar J can answer your question definitively, but if I had to guess he is referring to those videos. Goodman and Fanta state that Ed just needed a change and more of a challenge and that he couldn't go anywhere in Providence without being asked to have a picture taken and kiss babies, blah blah, etc. In DC, Cooley and his wife can walk around without being accosted as not everyone in DC will know who he is.

I have read on here as well as Friar Talk about Cooley having extra marital affair(s) and that his wife gave him an ultimatum either he can 1) stay in Providence and they get divorced or 2) they stay married, but go to DC. The internet is a wonderful and ground breaking thing for humanity, but it also means misinformation and rumors can take a life of their own. Is this misinformation/rumor mongering or is this truth? I don't know, I am not Batman, the world's greatest detective. I doubt we ever find out definitively as reporters are really not going to dig into this, nor am I asking them to. Certainly, Fanta and Goodman, or any college basketball/sports reporter will not talk about this.

Goodman and Fanta also state that PC might have hit their ceiling last year with a Sweet 16 appearance and that Cooley knew he would never go beyond that. There is some truth to PC having that hard ceiling, but there is a lot more to his decision to leave for Georgetown than just the ceiling.

Reaction Score
Just my humble opinion here. Unfortunately, most modern press reporting has agendas attached, be it sports, politics, you name it. Used to be, a reporter reported the story, and left the reader to weigh the facts against the fiction. Too many folks are compensated to tell lies in our society these days, without personal consequence. Nowadays, a skilled liar gets promoted.
the pendulum has swung to PR more than reporting

Reaction Score
Seems like a rushed desperation hire for Providence. George Mason was very ho hum this year.

Did they even kick the tires on anyone else? The Kennesaw State coach turned that program around and had Xavier on the ropes last week. Iona found a coach with a more impressive track record.

Reaction Score
High upside pick for PC. But Kim will have some serious work to do in the portal and to keep guys.
Surely unproven and now in a very very strong conference with great players and coaches. Always a possibility to become a good coach at this level. Gonna be tough but good luck!

Reaction Score
Seems like a rushed desperation hire for Providence. George Mason was very ho hum this year.

Did they even kick the tires on anyone else? The Kennesaw State coach turned that program around and had Xavier on the ropes last week. Iona found a coach with a more impressive track record.
I was typing similar when you posted

To me this seems like a fast turnaround for such an important hire, given the situation PC is in. Or it has been in the works for a while and people at PC were working on this. Very young coach 34 years old with 2 years of head coaching experience and not a lot of time spent in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
Or it has been in the works for a while and people at PC were working on this.
My sense (with no evidence besides how fast things have moved) is that PC knew Cooley had a foot out the door and began planning contingencies ahead of time

Reaction Score
Surely unproven and now in a very very strong conference with great players and coaches. Always a possibility to become a good coach at this level. Gonna be tough but good luck!
Slim pickings out there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak