Khadary Richmond | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Khadary Richmond

Reaction Score
No one ever said Ricky wasn’t a top notch defender. Holding his man scoreless is another thing. Seriously.
I still don’t believe that K thought Langdon going one on one against Moore was going to work. No one who had watched him play all year could possibly believe that was a good plan

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I still don’t believe that K thought Langdon going one on one against Moore was going to work. No one who had watched him play all year could possibly believe that was a good plan
As I said, Ricky was a great defender. As good as it gets and in a specific situation like the end of the Duke game his assignment was clear. And as I recall as far as Avery goes, if there was one college player whose game Ricky knew intimately it was Avery. The guy who told me to get a life said with a straight face that Ricky would’ve held Richmond scoreless as if nobody ever scored on Ricky , let alone a guy who has 5-6 inches on him. Some comments are inane and I probably shouldn’t have commented on it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, you live on the Boneyard and take stupid pot shots when it moves you. Great life!!!
You don’t know me from Adam and if you don’t like being responded to or need everyone to agree with you, don’t bother with the Boneyard. Methinks I’m not the one with tight shorts. Ciao.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If we still had Ricky Moore, he wouldn’t have scored a point.
I will bet my wifes car that Ricky Moore (who I consider one of the best defensive guards ever in the NCAA) never played the same player all game and held him scoreless unless that player attempted zero shots and zero free throws,

Reaction Score
I sat through a bunch of Calhoun games where one guy ruined us and not a bench player. Guys you game plan around. Richmond wasn’t a starter. Obviously Calhoun was quick to do certain things, but sometimes he was manic in the extreme and far from successful in stopping some players all the time. As I mentioned, on our end even Polley whose shooting is something opposing coaches should be prepared for, hit some key shots for us.
Yes, but if a guy is unstoppable type he generally starts. My point was an 8 point a game bench type can more likely be shut down with an adjustment.
And you are right, Jim was quick to try an adjustment. The quickest was taking off a zone that Coach Blaney finally convinced him to use - one made shot later it was back to
Man to man and Jim telling George his zone didn’t work. LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will bet my wifes car that Ricky Moore (who I consider one of the best defensive guards ever in the NCAA) never played the same player all game and held him scoreless unless that player attempted zero shots and zero free throws,

What Ricky Moore actually did do that year was hold either the opponents PG or its 2 guard — whichever was the better offensive player — to single digit scoring almost every game. What he did in the Final was switch between Avery and Langdon to keep either from getting too hot

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What Ricky Moore actually did do that year was hold either the opponents PG or its 2 guard — whichever was the better offensive player — to single digit scoring almost every game. What he did in the Final was switch between Avery and Langdon to keep either from getting too hot
i know but not scoreless

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes, but no way in that SH game would he have been assigned to guard a bench player who was not a principal ball,handler. If anything once the guy wasn’t being stopped he might be switched to him and would still,be giving up a lot of size. Ricky was great but he didn‘t normally hold anyone scoreless. Besides, Ricky is in his 40s now and probably not in game shape.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What does she drive?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It was nuts. You can’t defend guys who have. Career games. That kid looked like an NBA all-star.

Against who? Not the UConn game. Against UConn he looked like an old school slightly overweight dude tearing up a lunch time YMCA team. He just bull rushed and bullied every UConn defender from the perimeter to the rim. Only thing he did signifying "career game" status was one of his 3's. Everything else took less than spectacular athleticism or skill.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree, the criticusm isn’t of the original game plan but rather a lack of a timely adjustment. Jim Calhoun’s adjustments could come rather quickly - LOL
So nobody had career games against a Calhoun team, just like how nobody could score against Ricky Moore.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Other than try 4 different defenders on him, all who had no chance

Because the only option a coach has is to change a defender and not change defensive schemes. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. You are bringing up the same debunked point that by changing a defender Hurley did all he could do.

south park beat a dead horse GIF

Reaction Score
Because the only option a coach has is to change a defender and not change defensive schemes. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. You are bringing up the same debunked point that by changing a defender Hurley did all he could do.

south park beat a dead horse GIF
He also had 4 points in the last 14 minutes of the game. Maybe he didn't change fast enough for some people, but saying he didn't change anything is incorrect

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He also had 4 points in the last 14 minutes of the game. Maybe he didn't change fast enough for some people, but saying he didn't change anything is incorrect

Or, he reverted to the norm and the coach chose to involve the rest of the team. Enquiring minds want to know.

What enquiring minds do know is a guy went off for as many points in a 10-12 minute period of time as he has had the next four games combined.

Reaction Score
Richmond did the same thing over and over. Got the ball on the right side of the court. Backed down the defender (or drove on him). Shot from two feet away.
Exactly, with a couple pump fakes thrown and our guys had absolutely no answer. Jackson and Martin should never be getting physically dominated like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom