Khadary Richmond | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Khadary Richmond

Reaction Score
It wasn’t just Whaley it was everyone. Let’s make this real simple, we care out of a time out after 17 in a row and to the staffs defense they immediately doubled from the opposite side of the lane. He threw it away, his pass was deflected. It really took that long to come up with that after watching him torch multiple defenders? Not sure how you and Cohen can see anything else other than a complete miss by the staff for too long in that game.
Ok say he completes the next 2 passes to wide open men that bury 2 threes in a row, what do you do then? Do you still double him or play him man to man again?

Reaction Score
Ok say he completes the next 2 passes to wide open men that bury 2 threes in a row, what do you do then? Do you still double him or play him man to man again?

Well we know what happened when we didn’t right? But let’s keep doing the same thing while he torches us lol. Didn’t have to be double down now either, ever hear of a Zone? As an FYI they came out of the time out and doubled over and while the player was open for a split second our players rotated properly to help so it was successful. The point is that it was a joke allowing that to happen for that long.

Reaction Score
Three of our four losses had plays pop off above and beyond their season scoring average:

Michigan State’s Julius Marble II scored 15 against UConn. His season average is 6.3 ppg and he’s only score more than 15 once this season. If Whaley played, I doubt he would have scored that much.

Providence’s Ed Croswell scored 11 against UConn. His season average is 5.5 ppg and he’s only scored more than 11 points once this season. If Sanogo played in that game, I'm confident we would have fun.

Kadary Richmond scored 27 points against UConn. His season average is 8.4 ppg and aside from the UConn game, he’s never scored more than 13 points in a game. I was at that game, and he played like a man possessed.

Elite teams need a third scoring option and as long as UConn controls one of the top three scoring options of each team, we will have a very good chance to win.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate the effect this has on opposing teams. Its like their call to action, NBA style.

e04418a6fb6c926b1323ec68b3b07fc928188df2.jpg

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity I looked at a recording of the game. Everyone seems to remember Richmond attacking the basket at will as if that was something he did 5 or 6 times in a row before he scored some other way In fact, he scored that way on the first 3 getting a 3 point play on one of them, then his next two hoops were a steal and an uncontested break away followed by a 3 pointer, then two more drives into the lane, the last of which seems to have been a charge into Polley that wasn’t called. The point being there was nothing in particular smack in the middle of that run that looked like an adjustment was screaming out to be made to stop penetration. Following his last two drives, which were more like his first three baskets, the adjustment was made. If anyone thinks based on the history of his season up to that point that the adjustment was needed after his first few hoops, then fine. Hurley was an idiot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How many times did Toby Bailey score 20 after his game against us?

Reaction Score
Isn’t it Good Coaching 101 to game plan to shut down/contain top playmakers and give role players more chances to score?

That’s why everyone here always seems to lament “such and such nobody went off on us”.

Law of Selective memory means you forget the majority of times where the role player can’t do it and remember the few times it burned us.

Reaction Score
17 in a row before we adjusted. We aren’t talking 15-18 footers during his streak against us we’re talking 3-5 footers for the majority. It was an awful job not adjusting there’s no defense of us allowing that to happen.
I agree, the criticusm isn’t of the original game plan but rather a lack of a timely adjustment. Jim Calhoun’s adjustments could come rather quickly - LOL

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He also still went for 10 points and 8 assists ( albeit with 7 turnovers) anyway his team won and 8 assists is nothing to scoff at.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I
I agree, the criticusm isn’t of the original game plan but rather a lack of a timely adjustment. Jim Calhoun’s adjustments could come rather quickly -
I sat through a bunch of Calhoun games where one guy ruined us and not a bench player. Guys you game plan around. Richmond wasn’t a starter. Obviously Calhoun was quick to do certain things, but sometimes he was manic in the extreme and far from successful in stopping some players all the time. As I mentioned, on our end even Polley whose shooting is something opposing coaches should be prepared for, hit some key shots for us.

Reaction Score
Sounds more like Kadary is adjusting to being a focus of the opposing defense- hence the TOs. Kid will be v good

Reaction Score
And who do we sluff off of? At what point do we do that? He hadn’t been that hot all year or since. Hind sight is easy.
Not hindsight. And don't compare him to Polley. Richmond was averaging 4 points a game. Every opposing coach has drilled his team on Polley.

Reaction Score
We are 13 - 4 and have won our last 3. What this ongoing fascination with Khadary Richmond? Time to move on my friends. One thing I'm pretty sure of. He won't have that type of game when we play them next time

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not hindsight. And don't compare him to Polley. Richmond was averaging 4 points a game. Every opposing coach has drilled his team on Polley.
Exactly. And Polley hurt them. You proved my point. Did you read my sequence of Richmond’s hoops? No body focuses on him. He did not make 6 inside shots in a row.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We are 13 - 4 and have won our last 3. What this ongoing fascination with Khadary Richmond? Time to move on my friends. One thing I'm pretty sure of. He won't have that type of game when we play them next time
Don’t tempt fate please.

Reaction Score
Adjusted? His was scoring post ups on Whaley. Who exactly was supposed to guard him
Whaley, and Martin, and Jackson, and probably Polley too. It was an equal opportunity disaster.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Ricky held everyone scoreless.:rolleyes:
From Wikipedia………..

“Moore came to UConn after an All-American high school career at Westside High School in Augusta, Georgia. He was a three-time co-captain for the Huskies, including the school's first national championship team in 1998–99. That year, Moore averaged 6.8 points and 3.6 assists per game. In the 1999 National Championship game, Moore's defense on Duke's William Avery, and his ability to guard Trajan Langdon in the final seconds, was seen as one of the keys to the Huskies defeat of the heavily favored Blue Devils and Moore was named to the All-Final Four team.[2][3]

:rolleyes:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
From Wikipedia………..

“Moore came to UConn after an All-American high school career at Westside High School in Augusta, Georgia. He was a three-time co-captain for the Huskies, including the school's first national championship team in 1998–99. That year, Moore averaged 6.8 points and 3.6 assists per game. In the 1999 National Championship game, Moore's defense on Duke's William Avery, and his ability to guard Trajan Langdon in the final seconds, was seen as one of the keys to the Huskies defeat of the heavily favored Blue Devils and Moore was named to the All-Final Four team.[2][3]

:rolleyes:
No one ever said Ricky wasn’t a top notch defender. Holding his man scoreless is another thing. Seriously.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom