Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 418 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don’t get why football schools don’t just realign for football. Keep hoops and others regional.
It may be easier to suggest schools realign for basketball. It would lead to a similar result.

The crux of this is that by making the suggestion that you made (Tranghese did something similar not quite a quarter century ago, which set in motion the ACC raids of the BE) you are basically asking schools that have been aligned for many decades (some confereces from before the second world war, one from before the first world war) and have put an effort in football for that time to discount both just to allow schools that prioritize basketball while making little investment anywhere else (for athletics) to have a seat at a table for basically an exceptionally discounted price.

Reaction Score
I'm sure all the ACC AD's left the meeting after roasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya around the campfire. FSU, Clemson, etc. are still trying to figure out a graceful exit.

Reaction Score
They would be better off to kick out BC and Cuse and give their share to FSU and Clemson to save the conference until the GOR expires.
Ha, honestly I'm suprised if they didn't kick out 4 schools keep the same package and team up with the PAC 12 to make pretty good 20 league conference (Noon to Midnight Football). 2 regional tournaments 1 large championship game pre March Madness.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don’t get why football schools don’t just realign for football. Keep hoops and others regional.
I had a conversation with a college administrator years ago who floated this fornthe Olympic sports as a cost saving measure.

Reaction Score

UConn would definitely agree to join the B12 if asked The question is what if they don't take football, or if football is given only four or five games a year in the B12 rather than full membership. Or, if the ACC asks us too, Then we would be like a popular person asked by more than one person to the prom. We would have to choose,

Reaction Score
Translation: We are waiting for an actual offer from the B12, and we will sign it before the ink is dry.
Probably, but I think the hedging was to make it clear that he was also saying... "but don't try to screw us coming in. We're in a good, if not ideal, spot. We're not interested in Big12 minus football. We're not interested in huge buy-in fees or partial shares from the Big12 or ACC. We'll move, but we aren't desperate (like we were in the AAC)." Unless, of course, it's the Big 10 or SEC making an offer, then we're all in with just about any terms (but I can't see that happening).

Reaction Score
UConn would definitely agree to join the B12 if asked The question is what if they don't take football, or if football is given only four or five games a year in the B12 rather than full membership. Or, if the ACC asks us too, Then we would be like a popular person asked by more than one person to the prom. We would have to choose,
I know it's a tough question if given the choice, but personally, i would choose the 12 for two reasons. I think going forward they will be the more stable of the 2 leagues. I don't see any schools there that the B1G or SEC would target. Maybe Kansas and B1G but i doubt it. 2nd the ACC has played UConn for years.

Ill say again the Big 12 should try and scoop UConn and SDSU. You would take a potential school away from both the PAC and ACC, thus strengthening themselves as the 3rd best conference going forward. SDSU is believed to be waiting on a PAC offer, however i heard Dellenger say that if they don't notify the MW of their intent to leave before July 1st their exit fee triples from 15 to 45 million. The PAC will not add anyone until their TV deal is resolved and that is not expected to resolve itself until August.

The timing seems right For the Big 12 to slide in and pluck SDSU right from under the PAC's nose with a take it or we move on to another CA school (Fresno) offer.

Reaction Score
Probably, but I think the hedging was to make it clear that he was also saying... "but don't try to screw us coming in. We're in a good, if not ideal, spot. We're not interested in Big12 minus football. We're not interested in huge buy-in fees or partial shares from the Big12 or ACC. We'll move, but we aren't desperate (like we were in the AAC)." Unless, of course, it's the Big 10 or SEC making an offer, then we're all in with just about any terms (but I can't see that happening).
I think there could be two approaches to achieving the end goal of B1G.
1. Accept a Big 12 offer. Invest in football. And hope to be appealing to B1G (in ten years)
Or
2. Keep sports in Big East. Work with leftovers from ACC debacle and create a regional football only conference. Possible members: Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Marshall, Buffalo, UMass, Temple, Navy, Army, Duke, Wake, GT…. And hope to be appealing to the B1G (in ten years)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
1. Accept a Big 12 offer. Invest in football. And hope to be appealing to B1G (in ten years)
Or
2. Keep sports in Big East. Work with leftovers from ACC debacle and create a regional football only conference. Possible members: Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Marshall, Buffalo, UMass, Temple, Navy, Army, Duke, Wake, GT…. And hope to be appealing to the B1G (in ten years)
1 and 2 are on the horizon. I’ll take whichever arrives first… can’t take chances waiting for one over the other.

Reaction Score
Or

You may have missed #3, build a stadium on campus or my personal favorite, retractable dome for the rent, lol, 40K for basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or
One of those approaches leaves the school with $360 million more in media money over that 10 year period. I think I would lean that way.

Reaction Score
One of those approaches leaves the school with $360 million more in media money over that 10 year period. I think I would lean that way.
I hear ya
But option 2 still has money from the Big East and a regional football only conference centered in the most densely populated corridor in the country should be able to negotiate some decent payout.
And would have less travel costs, similar culture, and more interesting rivalries to keep the fan bases interested.

CL82

Reaction Score
I hear ya
But option 2 still has money from the Big East and a regional football only conference centered in the most densely populated corridor in the country should be able to negotiate some decent payout.
And would have less travel costs, similar culture, and more interesting rivalries to keep the fan bases interested.
So, those numbers are actually quantified. Right now the Big East media contract is worth about 4 million a School. When we left the American Susan Herbst said that we were saving about 2 million in travel costs per year.

Keep in mind that in addition to the media money that big 12 members receive, they also receive money for being part of the college football playoffs and had considerable NCAA credits. It's a big difference.

CL82

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting graphic

AAU is the key metric. Manipulating the US News and World Report rank eight places is fairly easy to do.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I hear ya
Please explain why the "ACC leftovers", schools who assuredly would remain together as an all sports conference (as they would not have a better option) would take on football only members?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom