Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 419 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
AAU is the key metric. Manipulating the US News and World Report rank eight places is fairly easy to do.
And I don't think being "Top 60" has any significance especially when you have so many privates up there. Kansas, Arizona, Colorado, UConn, it's all good.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
AAU is the key metric. Manipulating the US News and World Report rank eight places is fairly easy to do.
I'm not sure that AAU membership is necessary but we absolutely need to close the gap quite a bit from where we are today vs AAU members.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Can anyone with access summarize this?
It’s a good article and everyone should read it I’d they can. Here’s the main takeaways:

Yormark continues to explore his options for expanding the Big 12 into a 14- or 16-member conference going forward. Nothing seems imminent in terms of extending invitations to new members, but the first-year commissioner is doing his homework and UConn is one of several schools on his radar, Big 12 sources told The Athletic.

UConn men’s basketball’s title run this spring certainly sparked more interest for Yormark, and the school is viewed as a potential good fit for several strategic reasons. Championship-caliber men’s and women’s basketball tournaments are certainly high on that list of pros, but so is the opportunity to establish more of a presence in the New York City market.

How would UConn football fit? The Huskies are coming off one of their best seasons in quite some time. Jim Mora pulled off a dramatic turnaround in his debut season, winning six games and getting the program to a bowl game for the first time since 2015. The Huskies haven’t finished with a winning record since they were Big East co-champs in 2010 and played Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. They’ve hired six head coaches since then and have lost nine or more games in seven of their last nine seasons. But if they were given the resources and platform that the Big 12 offers, could they become a more legitimate program by the end of the decade?

One challenge for Yormark, if he determines UConn is part of his plan, would be building consensus among his board of Big 12 presidents and chancellors. There’s some skepticism among league sources about whether UConn would become accretive in value for the conference. Yormark has enjoyed strong support from his board to pursue what he thinks is best since he was hired last July. It’s easy for presidents and ADs to get on board with importing Pac-12 schools and the value they would drive as full-share members. But going in this direction would likely take much more discussion and convincing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How would UConn football fit? The Huskies are coming off one of their best seasons in quite some time. Jim Mora pulled off a dramatic turnaround in his debut season, winning six games and getting the program to a bowl game for the first time since 2015. The Huskies haven’t finished with a winning record since they were Big East co-champs in 2010 and played Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. They’ve hired six head coaches since then and have lost nine or more games in seven of their last nine seasons. But if they were given the resources and platform that the Big 12 offers, could they become a more legitimate program by the end of the decade?

P, Diaco, Edsall, Mora? Are they counting Weist and Loose Panels?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It’s a good article and everyone should read it I’d they can. Here’s the main takeaways:

Yormark continues to explore his options for expanding the Big 12 into a 14- or 16-member conference going forward. Nothing seems imminent in terms of extending invitations to new members, but the first-year commissioner is doing his homework and UConn is one of several schools on his radar, Big 12 sources told The Athletic.

UConn men’s basketball’s title run this spring certainly sparked more interest for Yormark, and the school is viewed as a potential good fit for several strategic reasons. Championship-caliber men’s and women’s basketball tournaments are certainly high on that list of pros, but so is the opportunity to establish more of a presence in the New York City market.

One challenge for Yormark, if he determines UConn is part of his plan, would be building consensus among his board of Big 12 presidents and chancellors. There’s some skepticism among league sources about whether UConn would become accretive in value for the conference. Yormark has enjoyed strong support from his board to pursue what he thinks is best since he was hired last July. It’s easy for presidents and ADs to get on board with importing Pac-12 schools and the value they would drive as full-share members. But going in this direction would likely take much more discussion and convincing.
Conclusion; we are a verified candidate school....its not a maybe or possible secret candidate, but a known candidate.

And so with that on the table, it goes back to the same order of process; first the P12 must settled itself and then after that the B12 can pivot with a few possible scenarios. Maybe decisions/analysis/etc takes up the fall of 2023 and then in the spring of 2024 there is action.

My guess is that the AD David Benedict preferred B12 scenario is UConn all sports + Nova, St Johns and Gtown which seems like a tough sell to current B12 schools unless Fox has some keen insights on why it makes good long term sense. The fact the ACC is teetering, WV will be on the lookout for Pitt / Louisville / others to rescue adding more resistance to the hybrid model.

What chaos for the next 12 months.

Last edited:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
P, Diaco, Edsall, Mora? Are they counting Weist and Loose Panels?
I know that turned my head too, but they're definitely counting the interims too:

Pasqualoni
Weist
Diaco
Edsall
Spanos
Mora

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Absence of a full ACC invite, I would prefer an Olympic sports ACC invite and to play 5 ACC football games a year. It’s unlikely but that would be my preference. I think we would probably get 10-15 million per year in that arrangement, which is better than the Big East but not as good as the Big 12.

Reaction Score
The same writers who called us the realignment losers and then said we were idiots for killing our football program with independence/ Big East are now saying we should turn down a p5 invite.

Does anyone call them out for this?
Some people did in the replies to his tweet.

Josh Gattis@speed_in_space
·
4h
UConn has 25k undergraduate students and is a land grant R1 state university with a major agricultural program.

It has infinitely more in common as a school with West Virginia, Kansas, KSU, ISU, etc than it does with Creighton, Marquette, and Xavier.

This is a no brainer.

Stewart Mandel@slmandel
·
4h
You may be right. It comes down to what does UConn want to be as an athletics brand. When it went back to the Big East it signaled at the time they were pretty much punting on football. Putting that program in the Big 12 would be a significant 180.

CardiffGiant11@CardiffGiant11
·
4h
no stewart. they went back to the big east because the aac was doing them no favors, the cash was not that good, and no offense to fans of the new schools, the aac has been on a downward trajectory with the further loss of UCF Cincy and Houston.

·
4h
Exactly. People act like we chose the Big East over the ACC. It was literally either stay in a league with Tulsa, Rice and Charlotte or at least go to a big basketball league with some regional teams and buy time to build momentum.

Nothing screams big time like Rice football!

·
4h
exactly! the constant parroting of “gave up on football” is such bs and frankly a great example of a confirmation bias.

Reaction Score
One of those approaches leaves the school with $360 million more in media money over that 10 year period. I think I would lean that way.
This is about as complicated would you like $360M or $70M and $70M doesn’t pay your bills and the does.

Reaction Score
Some people did in the replies to his tweet.

·
4h
UConn has 25k undergraduate students and is a land grant R1 state university with a major agricultural program.

It has infinitely more in common as a school with West Virginia, Kansas, KSU, ISU, etc than it does with Creighton, Marquette, and Xavier.

This is a no brainer.

Stewart Mandel@slmandel
·
4h
You may be right. It comes down to what does UConn want to be as an athletics brand. When it went back to the Big East it signaled at the time they were pretty much punting on football. Putting that program in the Big 12 would be a significant 180.

·
4h
no stewart. they went back to the big east because the aac was doing them no favors, the cash was not that good, and no offense to fans of the new schools, the aac has been on a downward trajectory with the further loss of UCF Cincy and Houston.

·
4h
Exactly. People act like we chose the Big East over the ACC. It was literally either stay in a league with Tulsa, Rice and Charlotte or at least go to a big basketball league with some regional teams and buy time to build momentum.

Nothing screams big time like Rice football!

·
4h
exactly! the constant parroting of “gave up on football” is such bs and frankly a great example of a confirmation bias.
I like the banter over there but darn I wish there were at least a reason for it. Let's get an invite and then debate why accepting it before the words were spoken was the right call.

Reaction Score
UConn would definitely agree to join the B12 if asked The question is what if they don't take football, or if football is given only four or five games a year in the B12 rather than full membership. Or, if the ACC asks us too, Then we would be like a popular person asked by more than one person to the prom. We would have to choose,

B12 without football is beyond a non-starter. I mean as in if that happens the benedict should be happy if he can escape town without a riot.

Reaction Score
B12 without football is beyond a non-starter. I mean as in if that happens the benedict should be happy if he can escape town without a riot.
AD Dave would never support leaving the Big East for the B12 without a home for football. That would be dumb.

Before you can say that, what is the dollar offer? Does the offer include a bridge to full membership for football?

Reaction Score
Before you can say that, what is the dollar offer? Does the offer include a bridge to full membership for football?
You can put that question to bed. Yormark has said no BB only offers to schools with FBS programs.

Reaction Score
This is an annual occurrence at this point. Year in and year out, Twitter and Reddit find the need to talk (down to) UConn when these stories start popping up. I used to thoroughly enjoy reading the CFB reddit but now it's absolutely unbearable when UConn is mentioned - we are worth less than nothing to them. UCF, a school I did not know existed 10 years ago, and literally did not exist 60 years ago, now feels that they are a supreme entity to us because of a TV contract paycheck. Regardless, our athletic department keeps winning with what we have - and that's all we can do.

Reaction Score
Kind of hard to spin this as just a nothing-burger.
1684511544257.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom