Kevin Ollie and OKC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie and OKC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hoping he doesn't leave but it's not a great look for recruiting and for Ollie staying here long term that these "leaks" continue to come out. I wish the program would get some of their own sources to leak that Ollie isn't going anywhere so that Coach himself doesn't have to say it but that these rumors will stop.

If anything i think it helps the program. Keeps Ollie relevant. Obviously he is recognized as a very good coach if NBA teams are consistently interested in him. SHould a kid be interested playing in the NBA, wouldnt it be nice a play for a coach that is wanted by the NBA and a guy who has plenty of NBA experience? It doesnt seem to hurt teams like UK and DUKE

Reaction Score
If anything i think it helps the program. Keeps Ollie relevant. Obviously he is recognized as a very good coach if NBA teams are consistently interested in him. SHould a kid be interested playing in the NBA, wouldnt it be nice a play for a coach that is wanted by the NBA and a guy who has plenty of NBA experience? It doesnt seem to hurt teams like UK and DUKE

That's extremely homer shade thinking. Like it or not, the program and coaches brand value at UK and Dook is substantially higher than UConn, and unlike the perception of those 2 programs I don't think recruits view UConn the program as being all that attractive a destination if Ollie isn't the coach. Also, when's the last time there have been serious rumors around Coach K ever jumping?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Okc won't pay brooks, Ollie, and Ollie's buyout. We're safe for now

Reaction Score
His name has been linked to the OKC job and other NBA jobs for a while now. He's not ready to leave just yet And enjoy the free publicity. I think he will leave just not right now and I'm all for it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Coach K is approaching 70 Years old, but since you asked...

During his long tenure at Duke, Krzyzewski has been given the opportunity to coach in the NBA at least five times. The first time came after the 1990 season when he led the Blue Devils to their third straight Final Four appearance. The Boston Celtics offered a coaching position to Krzyzewski, but he soon declined their offer. The next season, Krzyzewski proceeded to lead the Blue Devils to the first of two straight national championships. In 1994, he was pursued by the Portland Trail Blazers, but again he chose to stay with Duke. In 2004, Krzyzewski was also interviewed by the Los Angeles Lakers following the departure of high-profile coach Phil Jackson. He was given a formal offer from Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, reportedly for five years, $40 million and part ownership, but again turned down the NBA. In 2010, the New Jersey Nets were reportedly willing to pay Krzyzewski between $12 million and $15 million per season to coach the Nets. Krzyzewski again declined the offer and stayed at Duke.[18] In 2011, Krzyzewski was offered the vacant coaching position for the Minnesota Timberwolves, but he again declined the offer and chose to stay at Duke.

Reaction Score
That's extremely homer shade thinking. Like it or not, the program and coaches brand value at UK and Dook is substantially higher than UConn, and unlike the perception of those 2 programs I don't think recruits view UConn the program as being all that attractive a destination if Ollie isn't the coach. Also, when's the last time there have been serious rumors around Coach K ever jumping?

I think Ollie being a newer coach is still building his perceived value in the NCAA. I dont think alot of kids are as in awe of Ollie as they would be with Coach K or Calipari. Things like this build the value and help kids and parents to understand Ollie's value. THis is a college coach that is wanted at the NBA level. Ollie can then sell to the kids that yes i am wanted but Uconn is my home, this is where I am going to be for the foreseeable future. Ollie can use that as a weapon to prove that said kid should come to Uconn and play for a highly regarded coach. People want the best, and if ollie is perceived as among the best i think it helps us more then hurts.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Kids don't care if their coach has played in the NBA. Kids care if the coach can get them to the NBA. Even though he played for Ollie for as long as he did Calhoun, Napier is considered Calhoun's kid. Boatright may be drafted and he'll play in the summer league, but he very well may not make a final NBA roster. He, BTW, is also considered a Calhoun kid. Ollie has to get some of his recruits (Daniel Hamilton, Shonn Miller, Rodney Purvis) to the NBA (and in all likelihood, into the lottery) before he can effectively play that card.

Reaction Score
Coach K is approaching 70 Years old, but since you asked...

I don't remember any substantial rumors in 2010 or 2011 that there was any chance he was leaving. In 2004 he squashed that very quickly.

Reaction Score
Kids don't care if their coach has played in the NBA. Kids care if the coach can get them to the NBA. Even though he played for Ollie for as long as he did Calhoun, Napier is considered Calhoun's kid. Boatright may be drafted and he'll play in the summer league, but he very well may not make a final NBA roster. He, BTW, is also considered a Calhoun kid. Ollie has to get some of his recruits (Daniel Hamilton, Shonn Miller, Rodney Purvis) to the NBA (and in all likelihood, into the lottery) before he can effectively play that card.

True, i'll give you that. However, he has to be doing something right for the NBA to come knocking so often right? I mean i shouldnt have to sell anyone here on Kevin Ollie so i wont preach to the choir. Im just saying its a resume builder so to speak. He'll obviously get some more kdis to the NBA in time and that will help as well. But something had to be used to get the kids that he can eventually turn into NBA players (D-ham, Purvis, Amida, Miller maybe). I just peronsally feel like getting your name mentioned as wanted by the NBA does more to help Uconn then it does to hurt us.

Reaction Score
I think Ollie being a newer coach is still building his perceived value in the NCAA. I dont think alot of kids are as in awe of Ollie as they would be with Coach K or Calipari. Things like this build the value and help kids and parents to understand Ollie's value. THis is a college coach that is wanted at the NBA level. Ollie can then sell to the kids that yes i am wanted but Uconn is my home, this is where I am going to be for the foreseeable future. Ollie can use that as a weapon to prove that said kid should come to Uconn and play for a highly regarded coach. People want the best, and if ollie is perceived as among the best i think it helps us more then hurts.

That would be true assuming Ollie ever squashed these rumors like how Izzo has done any time his name has ever come up. Otherwise, he's just leaving recruits to think he may not be around to coach them, which hurts our chances.

Reaction Score
I'll bet Duke fans remember those rumors.

Maybe, but even then, 2004 was national news for about a day before he squashed it, and his age and the 2010-11 teams/rosters that were offered make that a lot less believable than Ollie going to coach Durant and Westbrook.

I doubt he leaves this year to go to OKC, but if Durant goes to the Lakers next year and decides he wants Ollie, I would assume he's good as gone.

Husky25

Reaction Score
True, i'll give you that. However, he has to be doing something right for the NBA to come knocking so often right? I mean i shouldnt have to sell anyone here on Kevin Ollie so i wont preach to the choir. Im just saying its a resume builder so to speak. He'll obviously get some more kdis to the NBA in time and that will help as well. But something had to be used to get the kids that he can eventually turn into NBA players (D-ham, Purvis, Amida, Miller maybe). I just peronsally feel like getting your name mentioned as wanted by the NBA does more to help Uconn then it does to hurt us.
Only if he stays at UConn. ;)

Reaction Score
Why don't you go ahead and read the ESPN link. A 60+ year old coach K going to Minny at that time didn't make any sense, a much younger Ollie going to coach a prime Durant does.

...for one season.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why don't you go ahead and read the ESPN link. A 60+ year old coach K going to Minny at that time didn't make any sense, a much younger Ollie going to coach a prime Durant does.
I posted the article merely to validate the rumor, not to demonstrate its likelihood. After K turned down LAL at a relatively spring chicken-esque 56 years old, it would henceforth be a solid bet he'd be a Durham lifer.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I'd be more worried if Kevin Ollie were enough to keep Kevin Durant in OKC. He's not.
Only Kevin Durant can answer that question. Are you Kevin Durant? Maybe you are Kevin Durant.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Durant doesn't jump at the chance to go play with the Wiz and Wall, Beal, Gortat and Nene. But he could probably get more $$ to stay in OKC. Probably much more to do with whether he wants to play with Westbrook.

Only Kevin Durant can answer that question. Are you Kevin Durant? Maybe you are Kevin Durant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom