July WNBA thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

July WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
In a battle of divorcees, Phoenix is clobbering LA by 22 close to halftime. Diggins-Smith with 21, Taurasi with 15. A win tonight puts Phoenix in the #6 slot, though it's still a tight race for the last 3 playoff spots.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was skeptical of Seattle making a change to the starting lineup when they'd been winning. Why mess with what had been working? Appears they have completely derailed Ezi now, who was having herself a nice season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Watching the Mercury game, Diggins-Smith ran down the court after a questionable foul to keep her emotions in check and just got T'd up for it lol. One of the weakest tech calls I've ever seen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Watching the Mercury game, Diggins-Smith ran down the court after a questionable foul to keep her emotions in check and just got T'd up for it lol. One of the weakest tech calls I've ever seen.
2nd T and out. Diana now getting a possible flagrant .

Diana with a good night but now is taking indiscriminate 3's every time . I wish she would be thinking assist before shooting sometimes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Merc were up by as much as 27. It's down to 10. Probably not enough time left, but at least they made it respectable. The much maligned Chennedy Carter is having a nice game. KLS working on a 0-fer from the floor.

Reaction Score
Didn't see the game but 9-16 on free throws indicates she got plenty of touches. 16 free throws = 8 extra shots she was fouled on, so getting effectively 19 shots on basket is a massive number for any post player. Big T appears to have had a big game, but at the same time she needs to hit her free throws. The rest of Dallas shot horrendously, 19-61 outside of McCowan, good for 31%.
True, but 5 of her 11 FGA were from offensive rebounds as well as 2 of her FTA (looks like another 2 FTA on a loose ball foul), so that cuts back a little the other way with respect to how many touches her teammates are providing.

Fever (Lin Dunn) traded McCowan, Burton, and late 1st rounder next year for Engstler, Hull, and mid to high 1st rounder next year. This is indicative of the moves that have kept them at the bottom of the Association. I give the Wings credit for realizing their 1st overall pick mistake last year and acquiring a quality center.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the Aces are making shots, they could run the table and win the Championship. They have that talent. However, like their previous meeting with Chicago and the Aces had a 28-point lead, the Aces started shooting 3s and they did not play defense like they did in this match-up. If the Aces play defense like they did against Chicago, it is a wrap for the League.
Another reason why I like them is while they are reliant on their starters, they are not reliant on 3s. Wilson has a nice array of inside moves, Plum is extremely adept at getting to the bucket, Gray at times has a lethal mid-range game even when closely guarded, Young is often crafty in creating high % opportunities for herself, and Hamby moves well without the ball to create inside scoring chances as well as she and Wilson can get stick backs if need be. Sometimes (like the previous Sky game that you referenced) they are too enamored with the 3-ball, but I think come playoff time, they will achieve the proper balance.

Reaction Score
The Sun were hot early, right behind Vegas. They went thru a stretch where they were kinda mediocre. Now they've been back to winning consistently again. Storm had passed them, but Sun back up on them by 2 games now and nipping on the heels of Aces and Sky.
They cannot be overlooked. Carrington has stepped up her game and they have 4 immensely talented front court players with a wide variety of skill-sets.

Reaction Score
Since her Triple Double.

But Moriah had 8 TO's. :confused::oops:

Did not see the game but Reeve must have been apoplectic. Almoist gave up a 20 pt lead entering the 4th until Powers heroics.
Incredible that they are only 2 games out of the playoffs with 6 games remaining (8 for the 2 reeling teams tied for the final spot, which might bode well for the chasers).

Just like people critical regarding the amount of misses by Arike and Mabrey, Howard is shooting far too often given that at this stage in their careers, Hayes & Parker are more productive players. Rhyne is still the frontrunner for ROY (good at stat-padding in during garbage time the last 2 games like she was in college) and still could quickly develop into the player people assume she is now, but really needs to consider her shot selection.

Reaction Score
Yeah. That was some BS by the officials on that sequence. First off, the foul call was weak as heck when you think about some of the actions in this game as well when you compare the actions in previous games this season. Secondly, her tech situation, again another BS moment. Maybe Sky said something while clapping. Who knows? All I know is, all season players have been getting away with all kinds of behaviors and extra comments and some refs call it out and some refs ignore that player. Just keep things consistent.

Reaction Score
Since her Triple Double.

But Moriah had 8 TO's. :confused::oops:

Did not see the game but Reeve must have been apoplectic. Almoist gave up a 20 pt lead entering the 4th until Powers heroics.

That's putting it mildly. Between ref calls that didn't make sense and the defensive implosion, she had many reasons to be.

Reaction Score
The Storm would benefit with keeping Ezi in the starting lineup. She was really productive in her role and had good chemistry with Stewie. Having Tina come off the bench could been a huge spark off the bench that teams would have to adjust to.
Gabby is the one who should come off the bench, she is not great at anything, is a good role player. She can play many positions, but will never be a star. Stewie is better at all 3 frontcourt positions then Gabby, Ezi can play the 4, or 5, and so can Tina.
Those three would match up well with any frontcourt, and Gabby's energy off the bench would be great. Gabby as the 6th man at Uconn won 2 championships.

Reaction Score
With two Ts in yesterday's win over the Sparks Sky breaks a tie with the GOAT to take over the lead in technicals this season in the WNBA with 7.

Mercury with 4 players in the top 10 in this category.

Irrespective of last night's game this really shows a lack of discipline as well as an unfortunate and negative influence by Sky and the GOAT on the rest of the team.

Technicals are the ultimate act of selfishness in a team sport

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With two Ts in yesterday's win over the Sparks Sky breaks a tie with the GOAT to take over the lead in technicals this season in the WNBA with 7.
One thing I found hard to believe which was commented on is that this was the first time she was tossed from a game due to Technicals.

Reaction Score
One thing I found hard to believe which was commented on is that this was the first time she was tossed from a game due to Technicals.
Why is that hard to believe? I think you're confusing her with Arike. Just cause Skylar shows emotion during games doesn't mean she's bullying the refs.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
True, but 5 of her 11 FGA were from offensive rebounds as well as 2 of her FTA (looks like another 2 FTA on a loose ball foul), so that cuts back a little the other way with respect to how many touches her teammates are providing.

Fever (Lin Dunn) traded McCowan, Burton, and late 1st rounder next year for Engstler, Hull, and mid to high 1st rounder next year. This is indicative of the moves that have kept them at the bottom of the Association. I give the Wings credit for realizing their 1st overall pick mistake last year and acquiring a quality center.
In the Wings defense of picking Collier, last year was probably the weakest draft of all time. In year 2 there are only 2 players who are consistent rotation players (McDonald/Onyenwere) from last year's entire first round.

Reaction Score
In the Wings defense of picking Collier, last year was probably the weakest draft of all time. In year 2 there are only 2 players who are consistent rotation players (McDonald/Onyenwere) from last year's entire first round.
I would say it was the weakest ever; however, I don't excuse them for selecting Collier over McDonald. I might seem like a Monday morning quarterback with that statement, but many that observed Charli her last year at Texas, saw that she was racking up numbers vs. mediocre and poor teams/post players and often struggling mightily vs. quality college teams/bigs. Meanwhile, Aari was exhibiting so much more of a will to win down the stretch no matter the level of competition. It is interesting to note, that usually when teams go against the grain with a surprise selection (eg., Gondrezick 4th, Watts 10th, & Hollingshed 8th this year) it fails miserably, but in the case of Collier, she was the clear consensus #1 for at least 6 months prior to the draft. An argument can also be made that Dallas needed front court help, but I would retort by saying that unless you are looking to fine-tune for a deep playoff run, you should draft the best available player -- there is usually plenty of roster turnover in the near future and I would apply this to all sports.

Reaction Score
The only other player that's a consistent rotation player in that entire draft is Carrington, making it 3 former PAC-12ers.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I would say it was the weakest ever; however, I don't excuse them for selecting Collier over McDonald. I might seem like a Monday morning quarterback with that statement, but many that observed Charli her last year at Texas, saw that she was racking up numbers vs. mediocre and poor teams/post players and often struggling mightily vs. quality college teams/bigs. Meanwhile, Aari was exhibiting so much more of a will to win down the stretch no matter the level of competition. It is interesting to note, that usually when teams go against the grain with a surprise selection (eg., Gondrezick 4th, Watts 10th, & Hollingshed 8th this year) it fails miserably, but in the case of Collier, she was the clear consensus #1 for at least 6 months prior to the draft. An argument can also be made that Dallas needed front court help, but I would retort by saying that unless you are looking to fine-tune for a deep playoff run, you should draft the best available player -- there is usually plenty of roster turnover in the near future and I would apply this to all sports.

McDonald was also a huge wildcard IMO. 5-6 guards without good PG skills or strong shooting ability don't usually thrive in the league. McDonald was shooting under 40% entering the NCAAs and under 30% from 3pt, plus she never had a good A/TO ratio. Dallas had also just picked up Harris the year prior and it appeared Jefferson was going to be healthy and a bigger contributor for 2021.

Agree about Collier's struggles vs better teams. She didn't seem like a slam dunk pick but being 6-5 with good skills and athleticism is hard to pass up, plus she was local.

In regards to against the grain picks, I agree it usually doesn't work out well. Other ones of note that didn't go well (or aren't going well) are Kiki Herbert-Herrigan (#6), Lexie Hull (#6), Jocelyn Willoughby (#10), Evelyn Akhator (#3), and Kiara Leslie (#10). A couple that have turned out well are Ariel Atkins at #7 and Queen Egbo at #10.

Reaction Score
McDonald was also a huge wildcard IMO. 5-6 guards without good PG skills or strong shooting ability don't usually thrive in the league. McDonald was shooting under 40% entering the NCAAs and under 30% from 3pt, plus she never had a good A/TO ratio. Dallas had also just picked up Harris the year prior and it appeared Jefferson was going to be healthy and a bigger contributor for 2021.

Agree about Collier's struggles vs better teams. She didn't seem like a slam dunk pick but being 6-5 with good skills and athleticism is hard to pass up, plus she was local.

In regards to against the grain picks, I agree it usually doesn't work out well. Other ones of note that didn't go well (or aren't going well) are Kiki Herbert-Herrigan (#6), Lexie Hull (#6), Jocelyn Willoughby (#10), Evelyn Akhator (#3), and Kiara Leslie (#10). A couple that have turned out well are Ariel Atkins at #7 and Queen Egbo at #10.
Great points abound bballnut90. Although I am not employing revisionist history, maybe this is just an example where my premonition came to be, even against the odds. She improved from the 1st half to 2nd half last year and has had a considerable progression this year. She still is inconsistent, has her size hamper her on both ends of the court, and needs to improve her A/TO ratio, but I anticipate this upward trajectory to continue. She has that "it" factor and the potential to be an elite defender (3rd in steals/minute this year). Very coachable & dedicated.

Good examples, particularly Atkins & Akhator. I don't think Egbo at 10 was that far out of line from many projections, even though she wasn't one of 12 invited by ESPN.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Stephanie Dolson continuing her really efficient play 3-4 (1-1 from 3) in first quarter

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This season....seems like every time somebody establishes they are the team to beat, they have a significant stumble. Sky are kinda bumbling their way thru the 1st quarter against the Liberty. They are without Parker tonight, but they did lose the Commissioner's Cup game at full strength (I think) and lost the previous game to the Lib right before that (still missing Sloot). Anyway, not looking like the well oiled machine they have been most of the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
We have a Xu vs. Yueru matchup currently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01