July WNBA thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

July WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good job putting the Commissioner's cup game on Amazon Prime. :mad:
That was my reaction when I was looking for the game last on TV. Like really, Prime Video? Ugh.

Reaction Score
And that was even w/ Dawn Staley calling the game. How dare they not give the MVP to A'ja?
It would not have been a great injustice if she had won it and Dawn certainly pushed for it verbally. Considering her stat it would not have been any great injustice had she won it. I actually thought she would, but it seems the voters took impact into consideration. It was Chelsea who made the plays both on offense and defense at the most critical times to stop Chicago from making runs to take the lead.

Reaction Score
It would not have been a great injustice if she had won it and Dawn certainly pushed for it verbally. Considering her stat it would not have been any great injustice had she won it. I actually thought she would, but it seems the voters took impact into consideration. It was Chelsea who made the plays both on offense and defense at the most critical times to stop Chicago from making runs to take the lead.
Gray made so many difficult, clutch shots with Copper in her face. It's somewhat interesting that they looked beyond stats, because her assist to turnover ratio was not up to her usual standard. I had no issue with her winning, nor would I have if Plum (high scorer, exploded early when lead was established that never became fewer than 6-7 points) or A'ja (best complete stat line, many blocked shots whenever the Sky was creeping back in the game) had won. I think the fact that Chelsea didn't make the all-star team, Kelsey won the enormous All-Star MVP trophy, & Wison has won a league MVP (and is in a close battle with Stewie this year) impacted the decision as well. Once again I had zero problem with that, nor did her teammates.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Given how reliant Vegas is on their starters, the issue will be how they hold up in a series. In a one game, winner takes all scenario like last night's commissioner's cup, that can work. But they will need them to be on top of their games for long periods of time in the playoffs.

Chicago has lost two in a row, but the first was at New York in a back to back scenario (where they, of course, faced travel delays); and you could tell Vegas was still smarting from blowing the huge lead in this game. But yes, their last 8 games are not easy (Though they do get to play 5 of them at home).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
At this point in 2022, is there anyone left who doesn't have Amazon Prime? If you polled my (admittedly millennial) friends, I'd bet three or four times as many of my friends have Amazon Prime as have terrestrial TV channels (let alone a TV)!

I don't have it and don't plan on getting it. I was hoping to see the game.

All four of my children don't have a "normal" tv set up anymore. Digital providers, including Amazon Prime, are key. Stunning how much access some of these providers give a viewer. I used to consider myself somewhat up to date, but using the old platforms and then cherry picking add-ons to get access to certain conferences/leagues fries my brain! :eek::confused:

Reaction Score
Given how reliant Vegas is on their starters, the issue will be how they hold up in a series. In a one game, winner takes all scenario like last night's commissioner's cup, that can work. But they will need them to be on top of their games for long periods of time in the playoffs.

Chicago has lost two in a row, but the first was at New York in a back to back scenario (where they, of course, faced travel delays); and you could tell Vegas was still smarting from blowing the huge lead in this game. But yes, their last 8 games are not easy (Though they do get to play 5 of them at home).
Very cogent points. I think without back to back games (and sometimes multiple days between games, especially between series) in the playoffs and 40 minute games (btw, I think game lengths should be bumped to 48 for a variety of reasons), I predict that they will hold up -- the starters seem like they are in amazing shape, particularly the 3 guards.

Reaction Score
I believe any of the top 5 teams can win the title, depending on the form they are in once the playoffs start. I still think Chicago is the favorite at this point. That team is very deep and talented. It's worth mentioning that this was Vandersloot's first game coming back from a concussion and she didn't look as polished as she usually is. She's a huge part of that team and when she's on Chicago moves up another gear.

Reaction Score
Another aspect that I like about Vegas relative to the other 4 contenders is the continuity (only starters who all played with the team last year) and closeness of their starting unit. For example, Plum hits Hamby so often in stride to basket and Hamby frequently finds Plum spotted up for 3 from congested inside-out situations and those two aren't even the starting point guard, nor the primary post scorer.

Reaction Score
I believe any of the top 5 teams can win the title, depending on the form they are in once the playoffs start. I still think Chicago is the favorite at this point. That team is very deep and talented. It's worth mentioning that this was Vandersloot's first game coming back from a concussion and she didn't look as polished as she usually is. She's a huge part of that team and when she's on Chicago moves up another gear.
Great point regarding Vandersloot -- I was thinking the same. However; even before her injury, she wasn't nearly as impactful as last year and prior years

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
With approx 8 games to go and the standings so tight, every game is huge, but Thursday night's slate has some BIG ones (with their current seed in brackets):

[4] SEA @ [3] CT
[5] DC @ [7] DAL
[6] LA @ [9] PHO
[11] MN @ [8] ATL

Reaction Score
Some juicy tidbits on strife leading up to Cambage's departure:

Yikes! Don't the door hit you on the way out...
If she was unhappy about a number or touches against Vegas, that’s weak. The Sparks have been a hot mess for several years with drama in the front office, coaching staff, and roster. Cambage did nothing to help improve morale.

She’s a talented player but clearly has lots of issues.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
If she was unhappy about a number or touches against Vegas, that’s weak. The Sparks have been a hot mess for several years with drama in the front office, coaching staff, and roster. Cambage did nothing to help improve morale.

She’s a talented player but clearly has lots of issues.
I want to know what orphaned child Nneka Ogwumike beat to death in her past life to deserve what she's gotten, between getting Parker, Ruquna Williams, and Cambage as teammates; getting screwed over by Team USA Basketball after dedicating her summer to their pre-Olympics tour only to get left off the Olympics team; and having to negotiate the CBA and then work with the league to make the pandemic bubble work.

Truly, if ever there was a "Grace Under Fire" award, she should get it. She almost always takes the high road and stays above the drama, but the drama finds her regardless.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
LA Sparks article, Liz mention

Meanwhile, Sparks rookie center Olivia Nelson-Ododa will be the Sparks’ primary frontcourt player off the bench. The 6-foot-5 center is averaging 2.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 10.9 minutes per game but could easily be called upon to play between 20-25 minutes a game for the rest of the season.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
LA Sparks article, Liz mention

Meanwhile, Sparks rookie center Olivia Nelson-Ododa will be the Sparks’ primary frontcourt player off the bench. The 6-foot-5 center is averaging 2.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 10.9 minutes per game but could easily be called upon to play between 20-25 minutes a game for the rest of the season.

I'm excited to see what she can do. She's a terrific distributor at the high post, so she can play the 4 to Chiney's 5, or in the low post as the 5 to Nneka's 4. I actually think we could see some fun high low passes between the Ogwumikes and ONO (and Lou) because they all have the skills and height to pull it off.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I want to know what orphaned child Nneka Ogwumike beat to death in her past life to deserve what she's gotten, between getting Parker, Ruquna Williams, and Cambage as teammates; getting screwed over by Team USA Basketball after dedicating her summer to their pre-Olympics tour only to get left off the Olympics team; and having to negotiate the CBA and then work with the league to make the pandemic bubble work.

Truly, if ever there was a "Grace Under Fire" award, she should get it. She almost always takes the high road and stays above the drama, but the drama finds her regardless.
Not sure how you figure Parker deserves to get lumped in with Cambage and Williams. Her and Nneka and had a decade of great basketball together where they won a ton of games, brought home a championship and are good friends AFAIK.

On the flip side of your original rant, Nneka has also had the luxury of playing alongside her sister for the past few years which I'm sure personally trumps any of the negatives she's endured. I agree she's always been a class act and seems like a grade A human being.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
On a basketball front, Nneka's had a rough few years, between injuries, having to form the COVID bubble season, the Derek Fisher of it all, and being left off the Olympic team. But from outside, she had a pretty fantastic first 7 years with the Sparks. Everything downhill for her (and the franchise overall), seemed to take place once Derek Fisher became the head coach. It's really nice to see her playing back close to her peak though.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
On a basketball front, Nneka's had a rough few years, between injuries, having to form the COVID bubble season, the Derek Fisher of it all, and being left off the Olympic team. But from outside, she had a pretty fantastic first 7 years with the Sparks. Everything downhill for her (and the franchise overall), seemed to take place once Derek Fisher became the head coach. It's really nice to see her playing back close to her peak though.

Fisher deserves much of the blame in my opinion. He essentially let Parker/Gray walk for nothing in return, traded away Wheeler and a potential lottery pick in 2023 for Chennedy Carter (who has a long history of not getting along well with teammates) and signs Liz Cambage, another player also known for chemistry issues who goes on to quit on her team mid year.

Reaction Score
Her astounding FG% and 2-point % continue to boggle my mind considering that she's not a 6'6"/6'7" player taking point blank shots, and especially in recent years, so much has been required from her in terms of usage and has been easier for other teams' D to key on her relative to players from Connecticut, Chicago, LV, etc.

Reaction Score

Didn't see this on the thread. If I missed it and this is a duplicate, my apologies.
Bria and CT were looking like they were and would be a tremendous fit for each other down the stretch, albeit in a short sample size. Players are returning so much sooner from ACL tears relative to even 10 years ago and I truly hope for that in this case.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Fisher deserves much of the blame in my opinion. He essentially let Parker/Gray walk for nothing in return, traded away Wheeler and a potential lottery pick in 2023 for Chennedy Carter (who has a long history of not getting along well with teammates) and signs Liz Cambage, another player also known for chemistry issues who goes on to quit on her team mid year.
i think the verdict on Chennedy is still out. Her potential is huge, and to best of my knowledge, she doesn't seem to be causing any personnel issues in LA. I know she's been struggling with injuries this year; hoping we can see her back to her bubble season form.

Still, i'm not hear to defend Fisher's management decisions.

Reaction Score

I think that not getting along with teammates isn’t all on Carter.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think that not getting along with teammates isn’t all on Carter.
Drama seems to follow her wherever she goes....all major teammates at A&M transferred out after her freshman year, reports are that she wanted to fight a teammate in Atlanta and that she/Cambage clashed. Carter is a talented kid but IMO has always appeared to be more concerned about herself than how she can contribute to her team being successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom