July WNBA thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

July WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aces with another easy win against the Fever. Looks like the starters pretty much got to sit out the 4th quarter. Plum and Wilson both scored 22, both very efficient (8-11 and 10-15 from the floor).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
NY-Chi started out pretty sloppy, but it's turned into a good game. Sloot is having her best game in quite a while. 17 pts/9 assists thru 3 quarters. Teams have been mostly trading buckets. Sky by 1 heading into Q4.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sky win 89-81.

Quigley takes some crazy shots. Like absolutely no possible chance they are gonna go in. She got bailed out on a few of those w/ questionable fouls, but some just looked silly.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sloot might overtake Whalen for #3 in career assists next game. She's at 2338, Whalen is at 2345.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Great points abound bballnut90. Although I am not employing revisionist history, maybe this is just an example where my premonition came to be, even against the odds. She improved from the 1st half to 2nd half last year and has had a considerable progression this year. She still is inconsistent, has her size hamper her on both ends of the court, and needs to improve her A/TO ratio, but I anticipate this upward trajectory to continue. She has that "it" factor and the potential to be an elite defender (3rd in steals/minute this year). Very coachable & dedicated.

Good examples, particularly Atkins & Akhator. I don't think Egbo at 10 was that far out of line from many projections, even though she wasn't one of 12 invited by ESPN.

I think Aari would have gotten lost in the guard rotation in Dallas. Look how much MoJeff seems to have reinvigorated her career now that she's in Dallas.

Now the real interesting draft to go back at look at is 2019:

1. Jackie Young
2. Asia Durr
3. Teaira McCowan
4. KLS
5. Arike
6. Napheesa
7. Kalani Brown
8. Alanna smith
9. K. Anigwe
10. K. Leslie
11. B. Turner
12. E. Magbedor

Second round picks that are doing well in league: Sophia Cunningham, Han Xu, Jessia Sherpard, Marina Mabrey, Natasha Hiedeman,

Reaction Score
I think Aari would have gotten lost in the guard rotation in Dallas. Look how much MoJeff seems to have reinvigorated her career now that she's in Dallas.

Now the real interesting draft to go back at look at is 2019:

1. Jackie Young
2. Asia Durr
3. Teaira McCowan
4. KLS
5. Arike
6. Napheesa
7. Kalani Brown
8. Alanna smith
9. K. Anigwe
10. K. Leslie
11. B. Turner
12. E. Magbedor

Second round picks that are doing well in league: Sophia Cunningham, Han Xu, Jessia Sherpard, Marina Mabrey, Natasha Hiedeman,
Edit to Minnesota.

I think one of the problems for Dallas is that they don't have a true point guard (other than Harris, who has not been able to garner many minutes). Even with Arike & Marina having career highs in assists, their top player is ranked 20th and they are ranked 11th as a team in the W. They are also ranked 10th in FG % even with Big T at 63.6%. She seems to get a lot of her points and boost her % from putbacks, so not related to point guard. I think that if they had Aari, she would be getting most of Harris' and Burton's (probably wouldn't have drafted her) minutes and next year would start over Mabrey (assuming there were no off-season transactions).

You are right that the 2019 draft was relatively loaded vs the 3 succeeding years. It's interesting that AD (until needing season ending hip surgery), KLS, Sophie, Young (in many categories), Shepard, Heideman, Han Xu are having breakout years this year and if you looked at them prior to the start of the season (with the glaring exception of Young), you wouldn't have nearly the same thoughts regarding their productivity. Big T has also been playing her best since being inserted into the starting lineup. So many players take 4+ years to develop and looking at your profile, 2 great examples are Laney & Copper who broke out in their 5th year. #s 7-10 are no longer around and I think #6 will finish as the best of the class.

Last point is hats off to Kim for beating a ND team that still has 5 productive players (that were seniors) in the league with a core of Kalani, Lauren, Chloe, & Juicy -- none of whom are still in the W (yes, I know Didi was a sophomore and Lys & Queen were freshmen).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edit to Minnesota.

I think one of the problems for Dallas is that they don't have a true point guard (other than Harris, who has not been able to garner many minutes). Even with Arike & Marina having career highs in assists, their top player is ranked 20th and they are ranked 11th as a team in the W. They are also ranked 10th in FG % even with Big T at 63.6%. She seems to get a lot of her points and boost her % from putbacks, so not related to point guard. I think that if they had Aari, she would be getting most of Harris' and Burton's (probably wouldn't have drafted her) minutes and next year would start over Mabrey (assuming there was no off-season transactions).

You are right that the 2019 draft was relatively loaded vs the 3 succeeding years. It's interesting that AD (until needing season ending hip surgery), KLS, Sophie, Young (in many categories), Shepard, Heideman, Han Xu are having breakout years this year and if you looked at them prior to the start of the season (with the glaring exception of Young), you wouldn't have nearly the same thoughts regarding their productivity. Big T has also been playing her best since being inserted into the starting lineup. So many players take 4+ years to develop and looking at your profile, 2 great examples are Laney & Copper who broke out in their 5th year. #s 7-10 are no longer around and I think #6 will finish as the best of the class.

Last point is hats off to Kim for beating a ND team that still has 5 productive players in the league with a core of Kalani, Lauren, Chloe, & Juicy -- none of whom are still in the W (yes, I know Didi was a sophmore and Lys & Queen were freshmen).

Isn’t gray a point guard?

Reaction Score
Chicago takes the season series over New York, 3-1, with a clutch win last night. Vandersloot was the difference maker out there. Solid player. New York. Not sure what is happening with them. They have some decent players just not sure what is going on over there. But great win for Chicago. Seven games left and all seven are pretty tough match ups, especially a rematch against the Aces. Hopefully Candace is back for the game against Connecticut on Sunday.

Reaction Score
I understand why durability and sit outs keep her out of the conversation, but are we sure that the best player in the league isn’t actually EDD?
She is in the conversation, but it's got to be a little difficult for the Mystics to constantly go back and forth game planning with and without her. Also, probably not the best for her rhythm as she missed her last 6 shots (some uncalled contact on a couple of them) after starting 7-8. Anybody know if she is planning to play consistently in playoffs barring another physical setback?

Reaction Score
Storm didn't get the memo. Won the first game.
Crazy run by Seattle's bench during end of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th. Crazy run by Wash to get back into it. Crazy 2 shots by Loyd to seal the victory. Crazy timeout fiasco. Crazy no call on Clark hooking Loyd on inbounds. Ezi had a touch of contact on EDD on game winning attempt, but not too much. Neither of the 2 superstars made a FG in the final 12+ minutes.

Reaction Score
Storm didn't get the memo. Won the first game.
Notice that Ezi was in a lot in crunch time as was Talbot. Still feel Gabby should come off the bench, she can come in for everyone in the starting lineup, and bring energy to the team.
Their defense was better for the most part, getting Ezi more minutes helps, she and Stewie can make shots more difficult, even when they don't block them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
In my mind the game was at noon my time. It wasn't. I missed it entirely. Sounds like a lot of excitement and big momentum swings.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Edit to Minnesota.

I think one of the problems for Dallas is that they don't have a true point guard (other than Harris, who has not been able to garner many minutes). Even with Arike & Marina having career highs in assists, their top player is ranked 20th and they are ranked 11th as a team in the W. They are also ranked 10th in FG % even with Big T at 63.6%. She seems to get a lot of her points and boost her % from putbacks, so not related to point guard. I think that if they had Aari, she would be getting most of Harris' and Burton's (probably wouldn't have drafted her) minutes and next year would start over Mabrey (assuming there were no off-season transactions).

Last point is hats off to Kim for beating a ND team that still has 5 productive players (that were seniors) in the league with a core of Kalani, Lauren, Chloe, & Juicy -- none of whom are still in the W (yes, I know Didi was a sophomore and Lys & Queen were freshmen).
There are a number of players who aren't blossoming until year 3 or 4; understandably, since with 144 spots, WNBA is arguably hardest roster to make in the world. Hopefully there will be expansion soon, because there are so many players who I think we may never get to see their potential without being put in the exact right situation that works for them.

As good as Jackie Young has been this year in particular, i wonder how good AD would be if they hadn't lost 2 years to COVID. They had a solid rookie year in NY, and have shown glimpses of potential in ATlanta.

I think if you were to redraft 2019, most GMs would pick Napheesa #1. I think it's an interesting pick between Jackie Young and Arike as #2. McCowan is likely still top 4 because her ceiling remains so high. In 4 years she's averaged 10ppg and 8rpg, while playing only 21mpg; and no one would say she's anywhere close to her peak.

Reaction Score
There are a number of players who aren't blossoming until year 3 or 4; understandably, since with 144 spots, WNBA is arguably hardest roster to make in the world. Hopefully there will be expansion soon, because there are so many players who I think we may never get to see their potential without being put in the exact right situation that works for them.

As good as Jackie Young has been this year in particular, i wonder how good AD would be if they hadn't lost 2 years to COVID. They had a solid rookie year in NY, and have shown glimpses of potential in ATlanta.

I think if you were to redraft 2019, most GMs would pick Napheesa #1. I think it's an interesting pick between Jackie Young and Arike as #2. McCowan is likely still top 4 because her ceiling remains so high. In 4 years she's averaged 10ppg and 8rpg, while playing only 21mpg; and no one would say she's anywhere close to her peak.
Agree with all of your opinions. Another difficult aspect for rookies is having such a quick turnaround from a grueling college season to training camp and professional season. Many are still working online completing their undergraduate/graduate degree. One "expansion" that I would advocate is increasing minutes to 48 similar to the NBA vs NCAAM. I think that would give more PT to 1st & 2nd year players and necessitate larger benches and not relying on starters (Vegas) so much. It would also increase team stats, which isn’t a bad consequence.

Reaction Score
I understand why durability and sit outs keep her out of the conversation, but are we sure that the best player in the league isn’t actually EDD?
Oh, EDD is in the conversation, but folks like to throw her sitting into the conversation. However, her fanbase (me included) remind those critics that legends like Tim Duncan sat out some games. EDD is a one of the best in the League and sad that she gets put on the back burner a lot.

Reaction Score
she'll never be the best player, too many injuries and always sitting. It's real easy when you get to sit out games and look fresh, others grind out a whole season. I would put Vandersloot before EDD in a conversation of best players in the Wnba.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Dallas (8 seed) at Atl (9 seed) Dallas up 42-35 at half. Tiff Hayes injured her ankle. Won't return in this game. Hope it is not serious. Tiff took some pressure off of Howard. Not good if she misses real time.

Reaction Score
Didn't see the game, but the Dream without Hayes, AD, Billings, and Coffey is worse than Fever's talent. The 2 front court players might not seem like a huge loss, but when that makes you rely on Vaughn (she should seriously consider hanging them up) & Mompremier, it is significant. The Wings' back court is still struggling with shooting %, but it looks like they did a great job feeding McCowan & Thornton based on the box score.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh, EDD is in the conversation, but folks like to throw her sitting into the conversation. However, her fanbase (me included) remind those critics that legends like Tim Duncan sat out some games. EDD is a one of the best in the League and sad that she gets put on the back burner a lot.
The Big Fundamental played in 93.2% of his team's games until his final season (when he was 39 and played in ≈ 75%), without missing a season. EDD has averaged 27.6 minutes in 66.7% of her team's games this year after playing a combined 3 games over the past 2 seasons. I agree that her skills warrant top-billing and that's why I earlier stated that she is in the conversation for best player based on talent, but in sports "the best ability is availability."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom