July WNBA thread | The Boneyard

July WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Now that MN is playing better, Indiana is clearly worst team in league again I think, but at least they are worst team in the league with 5 rookies on their roster and in deliberate rebuild mode, as opposed to last year when they were bad and had a bunch of vets. They also feel more competitive than Fever teams in the past, but that could also just be distorted perception on my part.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is kind of random, but I was just thinking about Maria Vadeeva. Is it a given she'll never appear in the WNBA again? Hasn't played in the league since 2019. There was a lot of hype surrounding her, she showed some potential, but obviously wasn't fully realized. She's only 23 now (about to turn 24), so she was really young during her 2 seasons w/ LA. Of course the situation w/ Russia is very tense now, but doesn't have anything to do w/ her not playing here in '20 and '21.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Happy and sad I guess. I liked Cubaj offensively and a player that could grow in the league if given the chance.
Ditto those sentiments and thoughts. Always admired her when ND played Ga. Tech: she kept coming at the Irish on both ends of the court. Maybe she'll get home to Italy and play for a team there, then come back and try it again. I think she has a future, given her tenaciousness, defense and rebounding. Now, if she can work on her offensive shooting. However, her passing and screening are first-rate.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Jefferson having another good game against the Aces, but this time the LV backcourt is matching her in the 1st half. Gray and Plum have combined for 22 pts/8 assists on perfect shooting thus far. LV up 13 at the midpoint.

Looks like McCowan had a monster first half, Dallas w/ a slim lead on LA.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Minny got the lead down to 1 early in Q4, but Vegas pulled away down the stretch. Gray w/ 21, Plum 18 points/10 assists. Aces sure could use Young returning to her form before she sprained her ankle, really hasn't been the same player since returning. Rupert is now getting the bulk of the bench minutes in the front court rotation.

Jefferson 20 points, Banham w/ a big 24 off the bench.

edit--Lynx cut the lead from 10 down to 5 in the closing seconds, but it was meaningless at that point.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Somebody woke Cambage up. I think this was her second double double in a row. 21/11. Nneka scored 21 as well, LA controlled much of the second half and beat the Wings. Tolliver and KLS did some good things while I was watching.

Middle of the pack is a mess. Playoff chase is looking like it could come down to the last couple of games. Barely any separation between the #6-10 teams in the standings.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Minny got the lead down to 1 early in Q4, but Vegas pulled away down the stretch. Gray w/ 21, Plum 18 points/10 assists. Aces sure could use Young returning to her form before she sprained her ankle, really hasn't been the same player since returning. Rupert is now getting the bulk of the bench minutes in the front court rotation.

Jefferson 20 points, Banham w/ a big 24 off the bench.

edit--Lynx cut the lead from 10 down to 5 in the closing seconds, but it was meaningless at that point.

Mo outscored Plum, and Banham got really hot. But KMac and Powers shot very poorly.

Reaction Score
This is kind of random, but I was just thinking about Maria Vadeeva. Is it a given she'll never appear in the WNBA again? Hasn't played in the league since 2019. There was a lot of hype surrounding her, she showed some potential, but obviously wasn't fully realized. She's only 23 now (about to turn 24), so she was really young during her 2 seasons w/ LA. Of course the situation w/ Russia is very tense now, but doesn't have anything to do w/ her not playing here in '20 and '21.

It may be random, but it's an excellent question. Hope it doesn't sound rude, but I forgot about her entirely. Is she playing in Europe at all?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sky cant miss 32-14 over Mercury after 1Q, Candace on pace for a Quadruple double. 8 pts, 4 rebounds, 4 Assists and 3 TO's (some snark :oops:)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Mo outscored Plum, and Banham got really hot. But KMac and Powers shot very poorly.
Jefferson looked fantastic last night, she just has a knack for putting the ball in the hoop. I hope she stays healthy--she still has the skills to be among the better PGs in the league.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mercury fight back with 28-14 second Q. Down only 46-40. Skylar and Sophie the main weapons. Diana not scoring . CP impressively holding on to the possible Quad double as she ups the TO's to 5 in a Quarter to forget.

Edit After 3Q CP losing pace 7 Reb, 6 Assists and 7 TO's (12 pts)

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sky ALWAYS do this. Build a big lead, then give most of it back. Frustrating, but then they are usually good at closing games out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Diggins-Smith and DeShields played great, pretty much nothing from the rest of the Merc. Miserable game for Taurasi, 2 points and spent most of the 4th quarter sitting on the bench.

Sloot was nearly invisible. 4 pts/3 assists. I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out why her assists production is down so much this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Enjoyed the WNBA All Star game selection show between Stewie and Aja.

Boss move by Stewie when after selections, uses a trade to get Sue for Fowles. Aja could have declined and her face said she wanted to but that would have been maybe a bit uncomfortable and Aja let it go. NASTY

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Diggins-Smith and DeShields played great, pretty much nothing from the rest of the Merc. Miserable game for Taurasi, 2 points and spent most of the 4th quarter sitting on the bench.

Sloot was nearly invisible. 4 pts/3 assists. I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out why her assists production is down so much this year.

Zero effort or focus from Taurasi, looked completely disinterested in being out there today. Wouldn't be shocked if the Diggins twitter drama had something to do with it.

Reaction Score
Zero effort or focus from Taurasi, looked completely disinterested in being out there today. Wouldn't be shocked if the Diggins twitter drama had something to do with it.
Very disappointing to see the Goat " completely disinterested" as you point out.

Love DT but this conflict with Skyler is idiotic.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing to see the Goat " completely disinterested" as you point out.

How do you know? Do you have info that we don’t?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

What conflict? DT and Diggins seemed to be fine though who knows if there is something new. Diggins has a problem with the coach (referred to her as a clown on Twitter yesterday and had some words for her coach during or after one of the Indiana games). Charles seemed to have a problem with the coach as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom