2023 Recruiting: - Jaylin Stewart Offer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Jaylin Stewart Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewart should be the priority over Carr by far. Obviously you take either...
with 2 open schollies for '23 plus probably having to replace any/all of sanogo/aj/hawk, is it an either or? we could end up with 4 open schollies for '23 and have room for all of stewart, coen, dilione, and singare. is there too much overlap?

PG-Castle / SG-Ball / Big G-Dilione / SF-Stewart / SF-Ross / F-Coen / C-Singare

stewart and ross have the most overlap but ross is a developmental guy

Last edited:
Reaction Score
with 2 open schollies for '23 plus probably having to replace any/all of sanogo/aj/hawk, is it an either or? we will could end up with 4 open schollies for '23 and have room for all of stewart, coen, dilione, and singare. is there too much overlap?

stewart and ross play the same position but ross is a developmental guy
I don't think there's overlap but I would be shocked if we're bringing in a 7 man freshman recruiting class in the transfer portal era

Reaction Score
with 2 open schollies for '23 plus probably having to replace any/all of sanogo/aj/hawk, is it an either or? we could end up with 4 open schollies for '23 and have room for all of stewart, coen, dilione, and singare. is there too much overlap?

No chance. I don't even think they are really recruiting Dilione. Singare is old for his class I believe so maybe he is a potential late summer reclass.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

There’s no way those guys all commit to the same class. Maybe Duke or Kentucky could swing it, but even then it’s a hard sell for playing time long term.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I don't think there's overlap but I would be shocked if we're bringing in a 7 man freshman recruiting class in the transfer portal era
Agreed. Would be a mistake imho

Reaction Score
valid but i'd rather build with freshmen than transfers. we know we still have 2 open schollies for '23. for arguments sake let's say staff already knows that sanogo and aj are good as gone. that's 4 open schollies so why not recruit 4 more guys? hawkins could still go pro as well in which case we'd still need to get a transfer. so if not a 7 man freshmen class i think it should be 5 or 6.

Reaction Score
There’s no way those guys all commit to the same class. Maybe Duke or Kentucky could swing it, but even then it’s a hard sell for playing time long term.
how would it be different convincing transfers about PT? if we're losing newton/alleyne/calcaterra to graduation and sanogo/aj/hawk to the pros there's plenty of PT to fight over including all 5 starting spots potentially.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
valid but i'd rather build with freshmen than transfers. we know we still have 2 open schollies for '23. for arguments sake let's say staff already knows that sanogo and aj are good as gone. that's 4 open schollies so why not recruit 4 more guys? hawkins could still go pro as well in which case we'd still need to get a transfer. so if not a 7 man freshmen class i think it should be 5 or 6.
And losing all those guys in the spring means we need to replace a ton of production, which is gonna happen from the transfer portal. And that's not even getting into the part where you have to convince 7 freshman to all come in the same year which almost guarantees transfers since not all of them can play. It's all a moot point anyway since Hurley has made it clear with his public comments there won't be massive classes of freshman

Reaction Score
And losing all those guys in the spring means we need to replace a ton of production, which is gonna happen from the transfer portal. And that's not even getting into the part where you have to convince 7 freshman to all come in the same year which almost guarantees transfers since not all of them can play. It's all a moot point anyway since Hurley has made it clear with his public comments there won't be massive classes of freshman
i'd like to think most of the production could be replaced by rising players already on the team e.g. diarra, hawk, karaban, samson, clingan. what's a massive class, more than 4 or 5? maybe i missed that comment.

how many more schollies do people think staff will fill? the 2 open ones and then replace guys that leave early w/ transfers?

Reaction Score
i'd like to think most of the production could be replaced by rising players already on the team e.g. diarra, hawk, karaban, samson, clingan. what's a massive class, more than 4 or 5? maybe i missed that comment.

how many more schollies do people think staff will fill? the 2 open ones and then replace guys that leave early w/ transfers?
I'll see if I can find the comment, I think it was in one of the transfer threads where Hurley said with the expansion of the portal large classes are a thing of the past.

Purely speculation so I have no idea but I would guess we take 1 more freshman between Stewart and Carr and the rest are spring transfers/decommits

Reaction Score
Calhoun had more recruiting whiffs than Hurley. Of course Calhoun was the greatest player developer and game coach of all time ... Hurley is good on player development and has plenty of room to improve on his game coaching.

Had whiffs but also had much better top end recruits which allowed for the whiffs most of the time. People leaving early but announcing late left the cupboard bare a few times making him and the staff to attempt to find pieces when there weren’t many available.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Teams still aren’t sold. I thought he’d get more high major offers. I like him because I think he’d be a hell of a 4 in a small ball/four out look which is the direction I think we go.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
how would it be different convincing transfers about PT? if we're losing newton/alleyne/calcaterra to graduation and sanogo/aj/hawk to the pros there's plenty of PT to fight over including all 5 starting spots potentially.
It just doesn’t happen. It’s as simple as that. So while I agree that we could logistically make it work, it’s not worth discussing. There won’t be a 7 man class where 5 are top 100 kids playing 3-4 positions.

Carr and Stewart will be an either or, and there’s no way Dilione is joining a class with Castle and Ball. But I do agree with you that it probably would be fine and things iron themselves out. Kids are afraid of completion or at least would opt for a situation with less resistance.

Reaction Score
Why would you rather build with unproven, potentially non-contributing freshman over proven immediate impact transfers? That make no sense.

Reaction Score
Why would you rather build with unproven, potentially non-contributing freshman over proven immediate impact transfers? That make no sense.
it's not that black and white lol. you're assuming we are guaranteed to get multiple proven immediate impact transfers every year when we dont even know who will be in the portal. it makes perfect sense to opt for the 4* HS recruit that staff can spend a year or more scouting and developing a relationship with rather than leaving the spot open for a transfer to be named later that you have 1 month to land.

youre also disregarding what i actually said. i meant "build" as in a majority of every class are highschool recruits as opposed to transfers. i'm fully in favor of filling in roster holes with a transfer or two every year. so yeah i stand by what i said. i'd rather try to fill the schollys we know will be open with HS recruits and only replace unexpected departures w/ transfers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
9-17 from field, 2-5 from 3

A couple bad TOs, but he rarely forces things and let's the game come to him. A lot of hockey assists. 5-6 from the line. Missed an alleyoop earlier in the game but finished one in closing minutes, he can get up. Not his best game, but still a good performance.

Reaction Score
9-17 from field, 2-5 from 3

A couple bad TOs, but he rarely forces things and let's the game come to him. A lot of hockey assists. 5-6 from the line. Missed an alleyoop earlier in the game but finished one in closing minutes, he can get up. Not his best game, but still a good performance.

That was a nice oop. I think an S&C program would unleash his athleticism. It's there, he just needs to get stronger so he can use his hops more.

He generally does turn it over too much. He dribbles too much in the half-court and takes a few too many risks... nothing too concerning though. That's just AAU ball.

Reaction Score
As he gets older/stronger.. He'll add some explosion to his game.. Pretty efficient scorer based on this game..Sees the floor well.
I haven't watched him play, but that description and his height/weight gives me Jeremy Lamb vibes.

Is that a fair comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32