2023 Recruiting: - Jaylin Stewart Offer | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Jaylin Stewart Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Stewart is more 3/4 and Lamb was more 2/3. Stewart is like 6'7 210ish, Lamb was what, 6'4 180 in HS.
Are you confident in the 210? Thought he looked kinda skinny.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched him play, but that description and his height/weight gives me Jeremy Lamb vibes.

Is that a fair comparison?
To my eye.. Despite their differences in height/position.. Its an interesting comp from this perspective.. I always thought Jeremy had an easy/effortless/smooth game where it looked like he could score against most people.. But by using his intelligence and BBIQ.. Kind of like Keegan Murray .. Half a step faster than the D but because of his cerebral advantages vs his explosive athleticism. Could Jeremy blow your mind on occasion with a crazy move?? Sure.

So. .I wouldn't have thought of that comp except for you bringing it up.. But I do see some similarities re: the ease with which they can/could score in an efficient way.

Just my two cents

Reaction Score
This is my 4th time watching Stewart. I am going to say it, now: He needs to be our #1 priority at the moment. I think he will be the best player in this class other than Castle... Maybe even better than Castle. I'll post my notes later, but... The level of skill, level-headedness, and IQ he brings to the game is hard to ignore, even when he isn't as athletic as some of our other options at the 3/4 position. This is even that good of a game for him. He's just very steady all over the floor... short corner passing and shooting, perimeter moves vs pressure, sees the cutter... behind the back passes... The kid has got everything except a 40 inch vertical.

Reaction Score
This is my 4th time watching Stewart. I am going to say it, now: He needs to be our #1 priority at the moment. I think he will be the best player in this class other than Castle... Maybe even better than Castle. I'll post my notes later, but... The level of skill, level-headedness, and IQ he brings to the game is hard to ignore, even when he isn't as athletic as some of our other options at the 3/4 position. This is even that good of a game for him. He's just very steady all over the floor... short corner passing and shooting, perimeter moves vs pressure, sees the cutter... behind the back passes... The kid has got everything except a 40 inch vertical.
Quiet game for him scoring through 3 quarters and he just missed the dunk but it seems clear to me he has the total package. He's also big with really big legs, he swallows people up defensively and gets blocks.

Ball really showed off the first step and I thought he had a great and 1 finish but they called the charge. His game needs refinement but the talent is there. Good game for Ross, he's a solid shooter but it's hard for these guys as their point guard is a gunner who never passes.

I want Stewart and Coen Carr but the chances don't seem strong for that. They're very different and both are going to be really good.

Reaction Score
Had same takeaway. His BBIQ today was off the charts, did not touch the ball much but when he did saw either good pressure from Solo Ball or double teams and consistently made the right play (6 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 11 points a lot of which came in garbage time).

He plays under control and doesn't force things. The passes he made to find others were brilliant.

He missed a wide open uncontested dunk but otherwise played a clean game where his teammates did not look for him much but he found them.

Reaction Score
Quiet game for him scoring through 3 quarters and he just missed the dunk but it seems clear to me he has the total package. He's also big with really big legs, he swallows people up defensively and gets blocks.

Ball really showed off the first step and I thought he had a great and 1 finish but they called the charge. His game needs refinement but the talent is there. Good game for Ross, he's a solid shooter but it's hard for these guys as their point guard is a gunner who never passes.

I want Stewart and Coen Carr but the chances don't seem strong for that. They're very different and both are going to be really good.

I think he could easily play the 4. By the time he's a sophomore/junior, he could be 6'8 220. That kind of skill at the 4 is something we've sorely missed.

Reaction Score
So I guess the question becomes how real of a chance do we have with him? It seems like he played well in front of Oregon yesterday, if a west coast school starts to show heavy interest I would imagine we will be fighting an even bigger uphill battle for him.

Reaction Score
Curiosity question.. With Karaban and Ross already on "board"(SF/PF).. Can we/could we take both Stewart and Coen (in some way.ie. different classes) and still leave the door open for a big?? In other words.. Is it now down to Stewart or Coen??.. Assuming they both want to come to Storrs?

BTW.. I think its more likely that CC would come than Stewart.. Why? The distance from family and friends.. Would like to be wrong on that..

Let the games begin...

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I’m in total agreement. Not as bad of an athlete than I originally thought. It’s either Stewart or Carr. I don’t like bringing in a non-shooter in Carr. Stewart is going to be a phenomenal player as an undersized stretch 4 In college. Hope he chatted it up with Ball and Ross today.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Curiosity question.. With Karaban and Ross already on "board"(SF/PF).. Can we/could we take both Stewart and Coen (in some way.ie. different classes) and still leave the door open for a big?? In other words.. Is it now down to Stewart or Coen??.. Assuming they both want to come to Storrs?

BTW.. I think its more likely that CC would come than Stewart.. Why? The distance from family and friends.. Would like to be wrong on that..

Let the games begin...
I don’t like that he has a bunch of these pac12(rip) teams actively watching him but are yet to offer. It feels like he’s waiting for more offers.

Reaction Score
Curiosity question.. With Karaban and Ross already on "board"(SF/PF).. Can we/could we take both Stewart and Coen (in some way.ie. different classes) and still leave the door open for a big??
Ross shouldn't stop us from bringing in both (and a big) and If signing him early means staff now has to choose then that was a miscalculation. My complete thought below
i'm hoping for both [Stewart & coen] we could very well be losing 6 guys after this season. newton/alleyne/calcaterra to graduation and hawk/aj/sanogo to the pros.

if castle does a midyear reclass then i dont think a 5 man class in '23 of ball/ross/stewart/coen and either estrella or singare is too big especially w/ ross being a developmental guy. plus we'd still need to bring in at least 2 more transfers next summer (3 if springs leaves):

Diarra- Transfer
Castle- Ball
Karaban- Stewart
Samson- Carr
Clingan- Estrella

Bench: Transfer- Ross- Springs?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think he could easily play the 4. By the time he's a sophomore/junior, he could be 6'8 220. That kind of skill at the 4 is something we've sorely missed.
“Interestingly” (?), 247 lists him at only 6’5” and, more importantly, other than UConn and Washington, only having offers from Portland State, Montana, and Utah State. So maybe even with a late push from Oregon, our early interest will pay off?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The kid has a real nice shot and the delivery is smooth. He seems ok mixing it up under the hoop and nice finish on his drives. Can he play D? He is definitely worth further look.

Reaction Score
On the recruiting front Connecticut was sure he saw them watching, hometown Washington was his first offer and he's got some ties to USC.

Connecticut: “They are probably the only team that has talked to my whole family and coaching staff. Like they were on the phone with my grandpa for an hour and nobody else has showed that much interest in me.”

Reaction Score
On the recruiting front Connecticut was sure he saw them watching, hometown Washington was his first offer and he's got some ties to USC.

Connecticut: “They are probably the only team that has talked to my whole family and coaching staff. Like they were on the phone with my grandpa for an hour and nobody else has showed that much interest in me.”
This staff rules. Let's press the advantage on this kid while we have it.

Reaction Score

That quote about our staff talking to his whole family ("they were on the phone with my grandpa for an hour") is remarkable. Maybe that kind of due diligence is more common than I realized but it clearly has made an impression on Mr. Stewart. It reminds me of how we used family connections to close Castle's recruitment.

Tells me that this staff leaves no stone unturned when they focus on a recruit - it also tells me that they really, really want to get this kid.

Reaction Score
Always Be Closing Alec Baldwin GIF

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score

Interesting that his father played Ball for USC not too long ago. The last statement may be a reason why bigger name teams haven’t offered. He’s saying he doesn’t want to just be part of a team he wants to be the guy.

Reaction Score
The last statement may be a reason why bigger name teams haven’t offered. He’s saying he doesn’t want to just be part of a team he wants to be the guy.
he does say "a big part of what's going on" But he also says he wants to be part of a brotherhood so I guess he does want to be part of a team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom