January Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Possibly anecdotal to my own life experiences, but I've come across a number of really impressive UNC grads in a way I haven't come across Vandy ones, and my sense is that in general UNC feeds more of its undergrads into top grad programs, and, if one wants to take it seriously, the education there can be more rigorous. (Admittedly, most of the folks I have in mind were Morehead-Cain scholars, so it's possible I'm only thinking about a smaller subset. Still, that group has a pretty impressive set of alumni.)

Of course, the academics scandals from the late 00's suggest that perhaps UNC can be a very different experience depending on how one directs their energy...

ETA: again, possibly selecting for a small subset, but it appears UNC has something like twice as many Rhodes Scholars as Vandy. Those are small numbers, of course, but my sense is most people judge a university brand by its most notable outputs - for the same reason that, for example, Elizabeth Holmes' single year at Stanford has nonetheless tarred us with the sins of her fraud.

Thanks. My personal experience has been limited, but the alums I know seem roughly comparable, with Vandy probably having a slight edge. The UNC scandal didn't help their image.

My impression has alway been that the best major universities in the lower half of the country east of California have been Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt, Rice, and, to edge farther north, Washington U. in St. Louis.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

21. Nooksack Valley 6-2 (1A)

With so many high-level point guards roaming Washington basketball, none have more upside than PG Devin Coppinger, whose ability to control things with her strength reminds some of ex-Cashmere star Hailey Van Lith.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
1/4

Olivia Anderson: 15 points; recently returned from injury

Olivia Olson: 32 points

Mikaylah Williams: 26 points

12/30

Olivia Olson: 24 points, 7 rebounds

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Hey Sluconn and Coco, there is a freshman guard here in St. Louis who is rated the number one freshman in the state by Missouri Girls Hoops and the number 18 ranked player in the country in the class of 2025 by Prep Girls Hoops. She has interest from over a dozen D1 schools. Her name is Jordan Speiser, and she is averaging 25 points per game. At 14 years old she is a 6-foot-1 wing. Have either of you or any other BYer heard anything about her?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hey Sluconn and Coco, there is a freshman guard here in St. Louis who is rated the number one freshman in the state by Missouri Girls Hoops and the number 18 ranked player in the country in the class of 2025 by Prep Girls Hoops. She has interest from over a dozen D1 schools. Her name is Jordan Speiser, and she is averaging 25 points per game. At 14 years old she is a 6-foot-1 wing. Have either of you or any other BYer heard anything about her?
I had not heard of her until now but she is being tracked by Blue Star 30 since 2020 when she was in 8th grade.
Very capable in this brief clip here.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I had not heard of her until now but she is being tracked by Blue Star 30 since 2020 when she was in 8th grade.
Very capable in this brief clip here.

Thanks Coco.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hey Sluconn and Coco, there is a freshman guard here in St. Louis.....Have either of you or any other BYer heard anything about her?

I haven't paid real close attention to St. Louis high school hoops since Napheesa was there, so I can't tell you much of anything.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You can also take into account separate colleges within the university. My youngest daughter looked at Vandy and we both noted how much emphasis was put on two undergrad colleges: Education and Human Development; and, the School of Engineering. (My wife, who has a grad degree from Teacher's College of Columbia, grudgingly admitted Vandy is top notch in education. ;) )

So, sometimes the boost comes from specific areas.
Yup!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
1/4

Olivia Anderson: 15 points; recently returned from injury

Olivia Olson: 32 points

Mikaylah Williams: 26 points

12/30

Olivia Olson: 24 points, 7 rebounds

Visitation? Do they play in the same conference as Interment? :cool:

Reaction Score
This is a little OT concerning schools, but 2 of my kids went to Stony Brook because UConn didn't have the marine science program that they were looking for. Stony Brook is very well respected in marine science. FWIW, the out of state cost for Stony Brook was about the same, or a little less, than the in state rate for UConn.

When I was in management for a major fortune 500 company my priorities were:

1. the technical background that I was looking for.
2. for college applicants, their GPA
3. background experience / activities
4. and a fairly distant 4th, what school they went to

My experience was that you could get very good or very mediocre employees from obscure, small state colleges or from prestigious ivy league schools. The school didn't matter as far as I was concerned. You know, it depends on the person.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/7

Sahara Williams: 23 points, 4 rebounds, 7 steals

Ciera Toomey: 19 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists

Blanca Thomas: 16 points, 15 rebounds. 4 blocks

Britt Prince: 30 points

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/7

Judea Watkins: 26 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists

MacKenly Randolph: 21 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks, 5 stls

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Announcer in the Dunmore game said Toomey wants to study engineering in college. I presume all schools left on her list have engineering programs.

Toomey, btw, scored her 19 points on Friday on just 7 shots. She was 6-7, hit both her threes, and was 5-6 from the foul line. She had a jumper negated on a defensive foul off the ball and her one miss was a block that looked like it might've been a foul.

Reaction Score
Announcer in the Dunmore game said Toomey wants to study engineering in college. I presume all schools left on her list have engineering programs.

Toomey, btw, scored her 19 points on Friday on just 7 shots. She was 6-7, hit both her threes, and was 5-6 from the foul line. She had a jumper negated on a defensive foul off the ball and her one miss was a block that looked like it might've been a foul.
Penn State and Vandy are both ranked higher regarding engineering. Drats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom