January Recruiting Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Dawn has had most of the SE to herself for a few years as far as other elite wbb programs. Now she is competing for the "stay near home" players with Duke, UNC and soon Vandi. Those players are going to start hearing about "the value of a Duke or Vandi degree".
All UConn can really offer is their brand. And yet they come.
Agree with you on all fronts except that I personally think a UNC degree is at least as, if not more, valuable than a Vandi one. Where's @triaddukefan to back me up here? ;)

I won't touch the Betts debate because as others said, she already signed with Stanford so it's not germane to this thread, but I do like what I'm reading!

As for recruiting generally, UConn will keep recruiting top players as long as Geno is coach. No one better prepares his/her players for the W than Geno. That might not be a selling point for all Top 100 recruits, but it has to be for any Top 30ish recruits. Pheesa, Dangerfield, and Nurse are all examples of players who far exceeded their expectations as recruits by the time they hit the pros.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Agree with you on all fronts except that I personally think a UNC degree is at least as, if not more, valuable than a Vandi one. Where's @triaddukefan to back me up here? ;)

I won't touch the Betts debate because as others said, she already signed with Stanford so it's not germane to this thread, but I do like what I'm reading!

Why you doing this to me? :oops: You know I don't like to say any good things about that school.

Duncan had an outstanding college career but his team never got past the sweet 16.

One scout has called Toomey the next EDD. Hope she stays in Storrs longer. ;)

One small correction, though your point still stands. Duncan and Wake advanced to the 1996 Elite 8 where they lost to the hated Kentucky Wildcats.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
12/29

'27 Lauren Hassell: 17 points, 10 rebounds

12/28

'27 Lauren Hassell: 11 points, 10 rebounds

Reaction Score
Interesting data point in that world tournament. Betts had 3 personal fouls in 6 games and 11 blocks in that time. How do you have 1/2 a foul per game and be 3rd in rebounds and 2nd in blocked shots in the 7 game tournament? 1st in both per minute played for realistic sample sizes. Cameron Brink would have had 25 fouls in that sample size. This wasn't normal HS play. These were the top players in the world for her age.
Take your Betts infatuation to the General Board, this is a UConn recruiting thread.

Reaction Score
Interesting data point in that world tournament. Betts had 3 personal fouls in 6 games and 11 blocks in that time. How do you have 1/2 a foul per game and be 3rd in rebounds and 2nd in blocked shots in the 7 game tournament? 1st in both per minute played for realistic sample sizes. Cameron Brink would have had 25 fouls in that sample size. This wasn't normal HS play. These were the top players in the world for her age.
I thought Betts could have been named the MVP, it was close between her and Citron.

Reaction Score
Essentially I'm just saying it's a 3 way challenge again next year. We got 2 top prospects. They got one. The original tangent was that we need someone like Mikaylah especially if Stanford has Betts and if Joyce Edwards goes to either. Toomey may well end up better than Mikaylah but both would be terrific fits for this team. I really thought Edwards was probable SC but I'm not that aware of her overall profile. We will get our share of top talent as we have for many years. Choosing a college is all about fit. Or at least it should be. I learned that the hard way with my 3 kids.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I stand severely corrected. Although He did lead the league in total assists in 1968 with 702. And though I don't know what memory clog caused me to say 20. Thank you all for your corrections. Although I still maintain that, while I preferred Russell, Chamberlain is the best big center of all time.
Yup.

Reaction Score
Well hold on there, Pard'ner. If you would be so kind to allow me to take this thread off line one more time. I do believe the greatest center (statistically) is the guy who could average 50 points per game and the greatest passing big man would have to be the guy who averaged 20 assists per game for a whole season. And yup, they are the same guy.
I happen to agree that Wilt is the best, but most people (I believe) would say Kareem. As for the passing big man, we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Reaction Score
whether you call her generational or not, if UConn had Boston for the past few years, they'd most likely have to make room for several more NC trophies on Geno's shelf.....
No argument there. (as long as none of the games came down to making a layup at the end) Which they probably would not as she would likely make us dominant enough to avoid that scenario!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

As for recruiting generally, UConn will keep recruiting top players as long as Geno is coach. No one better prepares his/her players for the W than Geno. That might not be a selling point for all Top 100 recruits, but it has to be for any Top 30ish recruits. Pheesa, Dangerfield, and Nurse are all examples of players who far exceeded their expectations as recruits by the time they hit the pros.

I'm curious as to why you think the U.N.C. degree is preferable to the Vandy degree. There are lots of different measures, but U.S. News ranks Vandy #14 and UNC #28.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ciera Toomey's game with Dunmore was cancelled tonight. I'm thinking we're going to see a lot of that at the HS level in the coming weeks.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ayanna Patterson tested positive for Covid on Sunday and will be some games including Tuesday's.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought Betts could have been named the MVP, it was close between her and Citron.
Cbs No GIF by HULU

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to why you think the U.N.C. degree is preferable to the Vandy degree. There are lots of different measures, but U.S. News ranks Vandy #14 and UNC #28.
Possibly anecdotal to my own life experiences, but I've come across a number of really impressive UNC grads in a way I haven't come across Vandy ones, and my sense is that in general UNC feeds more of its undergrads into top grad programs, and, if one wants to take it seriously, the education there can be more rigorous. (Admittedly, most of the folks I have in mind were Morehead-Cain scholars, so it's possible I'm only thinking about a smaller subset. Still, that group has a pretty impressive set of alumni.)

Of course, the academics scandals from the late 00's suggest that perhaps UNC can be a very different experience depending on how one directs their energy...

ETA: again, possibly selecting for a small subset, but it appears UNC has something like twice as many Rhodes Scholars as Vandy. Those are small numbers, of course, but my sense is most people judge a university brand by its most notable outputs - for the same reason that, for example, Elizabeth Holmes' single year at Stanford has nonetheless tarred us with the sins of her fraud.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Schools that close in range are essentially interchangeable, and the differences are for the most part within the quality of individual programs. One big difference is that Vandy is private right? If you judge schools by net cost at all that is a huge factor. Some private colleges now are essentially free for normal applicants ( Harvard, Stanford ... ) but I doubt Vandy is in that category.

Reaction Score
Possibly anecdotal to my own life experiences, but I've come across a number of really impressive UNC grads in a way I haven't come across Vandy ones, and my sense is that in general UNC feeds more of its undergrads into top grad programs, and, if one wants to take it seriously, the education there can be more rigorous. (Admittedly, most of the folks I have in mind were Morehead-Cain scholars, so it's possible I'm only thinking about a smaller subset. Still, that group has a pretty impressive set of alumni.)

Of course, the academics scandals from the late 00's suggest that perhaps UNC can be a very different experience depending on how one directs their energy...

ETA: again, possibly selecting for a small subset, but it appears UNC has something like twice as many Rhodes Scholars as Vandy. Those are small numbers, of course, but my sense is most people judge a university brand by its most notable outputs - for the same reason that, for example, Elizabeth Holmes' single year at Stanford has nonetheless tarred us with the sins of her fraud.
I think UNC is almost three times the size of Vandy so I'm not sure your Rhodes Scholar reasoning is going to help.........I've always thought of Vanderbilt as the most prestigious school in the South perhaps outside of Duke but as a graduate of a lowly Ivy what do I know........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Schools that close in range are essentially interchangeable, and the differences are for the most part within the quality of individual programs. One big difference is that Vandy is private right? If you judge schools by net cost at all that is a huge factor. Some private colleges now are essentially free for normal applicants ( Harvard, Stanford ... ) but I doubt Vandy is in that category.

You can also take into account separate colleges within the university. My youngest daughter looked at Vandy and we both noted how much emphasis was put on two undergrad colleges: Education and Human Development; and, the School of Engineering. (My wife, who has a grad degree from Teacher's College of Columbia, grudgingly admitted Vandy is top notch in education. ;) )

So, sometimes the boost comes from specific areas.

Reaction Score
You can also take into account separate colleges within the university. My youngest daughter looked at Vandy and we both noted how much emphasis was put on two undergrad colleges: Education and Human Development; and, the School of Engineering. (My wife, who has a grad degree from Teacher's College of Columbia, grudgingly admitted Vandy is top notch in education. ;) )

So, sometimes the boost comes from specific areas.
Agree that you need to look at specific acedemic programs to have a factual basis to compare colleges. Many other topics to consider sucy as total cost, student experience, and ability to get into appropriate grad school (if important for career goals). If one wants to generalize, I usually look at average salary 10 years after graduation. Vandy leads with $83K; UNC is at $69K.

Reaction Score
I think UNC is almost three times the size of Vandy so I'm not sure your Rhodes Scholar reasoning is going to help.........I've always thought of Vanderbilt as the most prestigious school in the South perhaps outside of Duke but as a graduate of a lowly Ivy what do I know........
Sure, Vandy's a great school but "most prestigious" in the South? One can argue that it's not even the best school in the state of TN ;)

The little liberal arts school by the name of Sewanee: The University of the South (just 1.5 hrs south of Nashville) has also produced 26 Rhodes Scholars (same as Vandy). And their enrollment these days is around 1,600 students.

But in all seriousness, college rankings and prestige can be fun to debate but mean very little to me. Then again, I'm also NOT a hiring manager for a fortune 500 company haha. I'm much more interested in your moral character than a degree on a wall ;)

Yea Sewanee's Right (YSR)! c/o '04 :rolleyes:

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member